Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:10 PM

194 posts, read 300,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I was in Spanish class on Wednesday. My Spanish Professor (who is one the BEST I HAVE HAD) informed us that the school wanted us to grade his performance. He gave us a sheet with a grading rubric.

And a student (this is the sad part) there who is 30 years old asked out loud "How do you spell you are a douche bag?"

I SIMPLY COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS! Why would you ever say this to your instructor? I was actually pretty upset by this and said out loud in front of the class that "what you said was completely uncalled for".

He rolled his eyes at me and said "Oh it was a JOKE! Be quiet little girl. A joke is something people cannot take because of political correctness."

But where did political correctness come out of this?

I just told him it was wrong again and the class agreed that it was uncalled for. Why is it that people who are 9 years older than me saying this to their professors in a UNIVERSITY!?!

My parents tell me they would rip my tongue out if I ever told them to "shut up" yet students can call their teachers "douche bags"?

What is GOING ON?
Well,it looks like you are sticking your nose into something that dose not concern you. He may well have been making a joke or may actually think he is a douchebag. Btw just because you like something dosent mean the everybody else likes it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
For some reason, the vast majority of people who started having kids around 1980 brought them up to never hear the word "no," to praise them and inflate their self-esteem no matter what they did, and to encourage wealthy early-Baby Boom grandparents to shower their offspring with all the toys and gifts and money they wanted. To say these new generations were spoiled is an understatement: they became narcissistic.

The parents saw their kids growing up with computers and told them "You are so much smarter than I ever was!" And the kids internalized this. They feel totally superior to their parents. On of my co-workers had a shiftless son who was about 28, had been exempted from working in the summers while in school because he was was busy playing sports and socializing, and who took college at a rate of maybe one class a year so he could enjoy surfing full-time. When his Dad broached the subject of this healthy young adult taking a job to offset his expenses, he replied that he didn't see anything he liked, and besides, "they don't pay hardly anything." His Dad asked him what he thought he was worth (no experience, very little education, no skills), and he replied: "Whatever you're making." His Dad is a manager-level nuclear engineer with 25 years of experience.

And these are the kids who are going to be expected to work hard in a devastated economy, to support our Social Security like we support the people now retired.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
For some reason, the vast majority of people who started having kids around 1980 brought them up to never hear the word "no," to praise them and inflate their self-esteem no matter what they did, and to encourage wealthy early-Baby Boom grandparents to shower their offspring with all the toys and gifts and money they wanted. To say these new generations were spoiled is an understatement: they became narcissistic.

The parents saw their kids growing up with computers and told them "You are so much smarter than I ever was!" And the kids internalized this. They feel totally superior to their parents. On of my co-workers had a shiftless son who was about 28, had been exempted from working in the summers while in school because he was was busy playing sports and socializing, and who took college at a rate of maybe one class a year so he could enjoy surfing full-time. When his Dad broached the subject of this healthy young adult taking a job to offset his expenses, he replied that he didn't see anything he liked, and besides, "they don't pay hardly anything." His Dad asked him what he thought he was worth (no experience, very little education, no skills), and he replied: "Whatever you're making." His Dad is a manager-level nuclear engineer with 25 years of experience.

And these are the kids who are going to be expected to work hard in a devastated economy, to support our Social Security like we support the people now retired.
You have just said what my wife says at least weekly about today's kids. You are very right and we are doomed if they ever get to take over things.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

OH MY GOODNESS.

That is my cousin. He is 30 years old. Been fired for stealing. Lied to my uncle about his grades in college by making up fake report cards. WASTED my uncles money. Can't hold a job. Can't do anything.

Sleeps all day. Parties all night. That is right. Present tense. My uncle tried to put an end to it but his mother enabled him and made my uncle shut up. That is what he does but it will come to an end.

My cousin cusses at my uncle. He told me uncle that he wanted him dead. He called him the dirt on his shoe. He has slapped my uncle. He has done so much to hurt my uncle but my uncle still let him stay rent free in HIS HOUSE. Despite the cops coming after him, despite the fact he was worthless and had no job (when he did, he'd get fired for laziness or stealing or SOMETHING), despite the DISRESPECT my uncle got from him, HE STILL LET HIM STAY.

My uncle and aunt just filed for divorce and my uncle kicked that worthless ******* that he used to call son out to the curb last week. Oh boy will my cousin be in for a rudeeeee awakening on the street in the cold Canadian winters. Hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You have just said what my wife says at least weekly about today's kids. You are very right and we are doomed if they ever get to take over things.
Not all kids are like that. I have worked ever since I was 15. I am now 22. I HATED my job at Burger King for 4 years but I wanted to make my own living. So I dealt with it for 4 miserable years. I go to school full time now and work part time. I get around 15-25 hours a week. I respect my parents and do my thing. I will be productive so that I can get a job and be stable and pay for social security you all need. And for all the welfare the welfare queens need too.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
OH MY GOODNESS.

That is my cousin. He is 30 years old. Been fired for stealing. Lied to my uncle about his grades in college by making up fake report cards. WASTED my uncles money. Can't hold a job. Can't do anything.

Sleeps all day. Parties all night. That is right. Present tense. My uncle tried to put an end to it but his mother enabled him and made my uncle shut up. That is what he does but it will come to an end.

My cousin cusses at my uncle. He told me uncle that he wanted him dead. He called him the dirt on his shoe. He has slapped my uncle. He has done so much to hurt my uncle but my uncle still let him stay rent free in HIS HOUSE. Despite the cops coming after him, despite the fact he was worthless and had no job (when he did, he'd get fired for laziness or stealing or SOMETHING), despite the DISRESPECT my uncle got from him, HE STILL LET HIM STAY.

My uncle and aunt just filed for divorce and my uncle kicked that worthless ******* that he used to call son out to the curb last week. Oh boy will my cousin be in for a rudeeeee awakening on the street in the cold Canadian winters. Hahaha.

Not all kids are like that. I have worked ever since I was 15. I am now 22. I HATED my job at Burger King for 4 years but I wanted to make my own living. So I dealt with it for 4 miserable years. I go to school full time now and work part time. I get around 15-25 hours a week. I respect my parents and do my thing. I will be productive so that I can get a job and be stable and pay for social security you all need. And for all the welfare the welfare queens need too.
Obviously, not all are like that but too damned many surely are. I remember back in the late 50s when I started teaching and kids still respected their teachers whether they liked them or not.

Don't take offense at me calling you kid, because compared to me you are just that. Kid I have never really considered trying to hurt your feelings because I have known much of your story for some time and certainly respect you and the way you talk. It is the majority I am talking about and I really do believe that you are in the minority today.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:10 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Obviously, not all are like that but too damned many surely are. I remember back in the late 50s when I started teaching and kids still respected their teachers whether they liked them or not.

Don't take offense at me calling you kid, because compared to me you are just that. Kid I have never really considered trying to hurt your feelings because I have known much of your story for some time and certainly respect you and the way you talk. It is the majority I am talking about and I really do believe that you are in the minority today.
Oh I know, roysoldboy.

It is a tragedy. I cant believe it. Did you read the part about my cousin? I am so sad that many people my age are like him.

And you can call me kid. I don't mind. Beats being call old lady or something, LMAO!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
.......But either way, it was WRONG of him to say that right?
Wrong? It's was absolutely classless, trashy and a possible indicator of a poor upbringing.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Oh I know, roysoldboy.

It is a tragedy. I cant believe it. Did you read the part about my cousin? I am so sad that many people my age are like him.

And you can call me kid. I don't mind. Beats being call old lady or something, LMAO!!!
Yes, young lady, I have respected your posts for some time. I did see your story about your cousin. I have one that one of my assistant coaches from back in the 60s told about what his dad did to him one time when he was in school in the early 50s. The old man told him that if he ever got kicked out of school or even an hour or so he needed to find himself a place until he could get back in school. Well, one day he got kicked out on a Friday morning and feeling so proud went home and his dad came by early and told him to find his place and stay there. See, he wasn't going to get back in till Monday when he could bring his father in to talk with the Principal. He packed some clothes, strolled out to the sidewalk and said he had never felt what he felt when it hit him in the face that he didn't have any idea where he was going to stay. He managed to get a friend's parents to take him for Friday through Sunday nights and he said he never questioned his dad again since he showed that he meant what he said. Your uncle needed to do that.

My dad made a believer out of me several times before I finally decided he meant what he said. Whenever I got in trouble in school and got paddled he always beat the hell out of me and then asked for my side of the story and I was never able to make a plausible one up. Finally a teacher slapped my face hard, and when I got home I expected to see if my dad of 42 could whip me at 17 but this time he told me that if a teacher ever did that to me again and I didn't beat his ass I would get beat up when I got home. I was confused but he had always stood for what he said so I was ready to smash that teacher if he hit me in the head. Never happened, thank God.

I always told my boys not to fight unless someone hit them somewhere they could do real damage. One time my oldest one was playing a 5th grade game of "You like so and so" and he said the wrong name to the other kid who was behind him on the bus. The other kid clapped his hands on Craig's ears and over the seat Craig went. I told him that he had done just what I meant.

The old man is started but must stop here.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
You don't have to like people in positions of authority over you--but you should respect them to their faces, at least.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
What is GOING ON?
What have the older generations done to make young people respect them?

We give them ipods, cell phones, laptops, big screen TV's. They now feel entitled to these things and they won't leave mommy and daddy until they are ABSOLUTELY SURE they can live on their own with these things.

We give them crap to watch on TV like "Jersey Shore", "The Real Housewives of Orange Country", "Survivor" and "Big Brother"

We have taught them to value money, and physical beauty over intelligence, integrity, honesty and hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies