Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:46 AM

4 posts, read 10,231 times

Advertisements

There are many who are calling for a nationwide boycott of gas use May 26th? A successful boycott for will cause the oil companies to lose 4 billion dollars. Will you join in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times
I will not.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:56 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman817 View Post
There are many who are calling for a nationwide boycott of gas use May 26th? A successful boycott for will cause the oil companies to lose 4 billion dollars. Will you join in?
But won't the oil companies make the $4 billion dollars back on May 27th when people come to the reality that red needles pinned on E is not a particularly good situation to be in?

If you want to make a statement take public transportaion or cut down on your driving habits.Thats the extent of your defense. A national boycotting day although symbolic isn't really going to solve the problem.

Last edited by rainrock; 05-18-2007 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-18-2007, 05:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
What happened with the May 15th boycott? I didn't buy gas, not because I was boycotting, I already had 3/4 tank of gas. Did the oil companies lose billions? Did the world come to a standstill? Just curious as to what happened.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:25 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
What happened with the May 15th boycott? I didn't buy gas, not because I was boycotting, I already had 3/4 tank of gas. Did the oil companies lose billions? Did the world come to a standstill? Just curious as to what happened.
Well, I just went to get gas today and the price is up about 15 cents from the last time I got gas. We sure showed them the other day, huh?

Old 05-18-2007, 05:33 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
I boycott Big Oil almost every day. I ride a bicycle.

We currently buy gasoline ~ 1X every other month (we keep a van for long trips and big purchases).

Old 05-18-2007, 06:09 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,954 times
Default Alternate idea

A friend of mine came up with an idea that might be worth trying. Instead of travelling on the Memorial Day weekend, set up your camper or a tent in your front yard as a token of gas price protest. While its true that people have to buy gas to get to and from work, travelling on a holiday weekend is purely voluntary. If enough people stay home, and the media gives the idea some attention, it has as much chance of making an impact as one day gas boycotts, perhaps more of a chance.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:16 PM

653 posts, read 3,409,094 times
BOYCOTTING Big Oil for a day won't do a damn thing. However now, if people stopped buying GAS GUZZLING SUVs--the demand would go down--the supplies up--and in turn, lower prices. Until we get fuel more fuel efficient cars on the roads AND the GAS GUZZLERS off the roads--we will no longer see "Cheap" gas. SUVs WASTE fuel. And we are all paying the price for that!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 08:37 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
BOYCOTTING Big Oil for a day won't do a damn thing. However now, if people stopped buying GAS GUZZLING SUVs--the demand would go down--the supplies up--and in turn, lower prices. Until we get fuel more fuel efficient cars on the roads AND the GAS GUZZLERS off the roads--we will no longer see "Cheap" gas. SUVs WASTE fuel. And we are all paying the price for that!!!
Well, I can't deny that my husband's full-size Dodge truck, and my Dodge Durango use a fair amount of gas, but I won't be buying any tiny little cars, or hybrids or anything of that nature, any time soon. Why? For one thing, my husband is 6'8"! He's not interested being squashed like a sardine in a tin can! Secondly, we both feel better out on the road, in larger vehicles. There is never a guarantee of safety, for anyone, but we're still safer in something larger as opposed to something tiny, (we can also see better, because we sit higher, rather than with our rearends scraping the road). Thirdly, those fancy hybrids are not only small, (see reason #1), they're expensive. Fourthly, I can't see us going out to the woods, to hunt, fish, or camp, with a car. I also don't see myself getting hay for my horse, in a car. So, when the auto makers come up with a decent-sized, reasonably-priced, fuel efficient, working vehicle, then we will consider buying one. Until then, we will have to tighten our belts, gas-wise, and do the best that we can, just like we always do.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:58 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Default Big problem....

How many times have we heard in the past that, "Due to low demand, we've had to raise prices." "Due to high deman, we've had to raise prices."

I would suggest that we go to our company exec's and put pressure on them. Our cars, suv's, nor my old pickup is the only thing that uses oil. Big business should get involved and start going to their supplier and saying, "I demand a 20% decrease or we're going to another supplier. If enough of these big company's start doing that, then I believe we can make an impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies