Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times

Advertisements

I noticed an ad for the new 2010 Chevy Traverse with a comparison chart touting the Traverse against the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander & Ford Flex. 2010 Chevy Traverse | Crossover SUV | Chevrolet (Look in the middle of the page and bring up MAKE ROOM FOR HIGHWAY FUEL EFFICIENCY & MORE)

The highway fuel efficiency ratings as estimated by the EPA were favorable compared with the other cars and better than the Pilot. But it occurred to me, can I really trust these ratings?

Chevy is GM, now wholly owned by the US government. We have the EPA with it's mpg estimate...one government agency rating another. The EPA rated the Traverse at 24 mpg, and the Honda Pilot at 23 mpg.

But what if the two cars were really 23 1/2 mpg? Is it so far fetched to think the EPA rounded the GM car up and the Honda down?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA), another government agency, gave the Traverse 5 star crash test ratings. Again, can I truly trust these ratings?

What's worse, is that I would even wonder about these ratings, but I don't trust this administration. Obama claims he never wanted to own a car company, but what better way to regulate the manufacture of cars in this country than by seizing the largest American car manufacturer in the middle of a crisis and looking for help from the government.

The GOP better get it's act together if it wants to save this country. Mark Steyn has an excellent theory about the Democrats -"The Dems are thinking strategically; the Republicans are all tactics". I'll Have a Blue Dog Christmas Without You - Mark Steyn - The Corner on National Review Online

Mark is writing about healthcare, but it could just as well be about the American auto industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Looks like you've uncovered another government conspiracy. Cooking the books on EPA mileage charts. I'm sure they'll be changing the sodium content on the cereal boxes next. Congrats.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 PM

37,973 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I noticed an ad for the new 2010 Chevy Traverse with a comparison chart touting the Traverse against the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander & Ford Flex. 2010 Chevy Traverse | Crossover SUV | Chevrolet (Look in the middle of the page and bring up MAKE ROOM FOR HIGHWAY FUEL EFFICIENCY & MORE)

The highway fuel efficiency ratings as estimated by the EPA were favorable compared with the other cars and better than the Pilot. But it occurred to me, can I really trust these ratings?

Chevy is GM, now wholly owned by the US government. We have the EPA with it's mpg estimate...one government agency rating another. The EPA rated the Traverse at 24 mpg, and the Honda Pilot at 23 mpg.

But what if the two cars were really 23 1/2 mpg? Is it so far fetched to think the EPA rounded the GM car up and the Honda down?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA), another government agency, gave the Traverse 5 star crash test ratings. Again, can I truly trust these ratings?

What's worse, is that I would even wonder about these ratings, but I don't trust this administration. Obama claims he never wanted to own a car company, but what better way to regulate the manufacture of cars in this country than by seizing the largest American car manufacturer in the middle of a crisis and looking for help from the government.

The GOP better get it's act together if it wants to save this country. Mark Steyn has an excellent theory about the Democrats -"The Dems are thinking strategically; the Republicans are all tactics". I'll Have a Blue Dog Christmas Without You - Mark Steyn - The Corner on National Review Online

Mark is writing about healthcare, but it could just as well be about the American auto industry.
The Traverse has been rated at 24 MPG highway for over a year. i know because i was thinking of buying one last year. The engine saves gas with direct fuel injection. The way the salesman described it, during highway driving it can directly control which cylinder gets fuel/ignition, so a V6 is turned into a quasi V4 after it hits highway cruise.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:03 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The Traverse has been rated at 24 MPG highway for over a year. i know because i was thinking of buying one last year. The engine saves gas with direct fuel injection. The way the salesman described it, during highway driving it can directly control which cylinder gets fuel/ignition, so a V6 is turned into a quasi V4 after it hits highway cruise.
I looked at the Traverse too, then decided to hang on to my clunker. My concern is can we trust government agencies to honestly rate cars manufactured by companies directly controlled by the US government.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I looked at the Traverse too, then decided to hang on to my clunker. My concern is can we trust government agencies to honestly rate cars manufactured by companies directly controlled by the US government.
Sure. Why not? What do they have to gain by fudging the numbers? Are you trying to scare people off from buying GM cars? Do you want them to fail? Do you work for Honda of Japan?

GM has been paying back the loans the gov. gave them already and we, the taxpayer own 31% of GM stock. When they get back on their feet we will sell the stock at a hefty profit. What's so bad about that?

Wouldn't you feel bad if you were responsible for starting the rumor that raged around the internet that GM was lying about their vehicles and the whole company went down in flames and they laid off all 65,000 employees and the taxpayer lost all their money? Just asking the obvious questions. No offense meant.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,303 times
Quote:

Another doomsday, "they're out to get us all" conspiracy.

Take two paxil and IM me in the morning after you've had two cups of Starbucks Italian Roast coffee and then "git yourself sum". You'll feel sooooo much better.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:53 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Sure. Why not? What do they have to gain by fudging the numbers? Are you trying to scare people off from buying GM cars? Do you want them to fail? Do you work for Honda of Japan?

GM has been paying back the loans the gov. gave them already and we, the taxpayer own 31% of GM stock. When they get back on their feet we will sell the stock at a hefty profit. What's so bad about that?

Wouldn't you feel bad if you were responsible for starting the rumor that raged around the internet that GM was lying about their vehicles and the whole company went down in flames and they laid off all 65,000 employees and the taxpayer lost all their money? Just asking the obvious questions. No offense meant.

You do see the irony of your response right? This poster has something to gain by besmirching GM but GM has NOTHING to gain by fudging the numbers?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You do see the irony of your response right? This poster has something to gain by besmirching GM but GM has NOTHING to gain by fudging the numbers?
Honestly, I don't see the irony of my post but thanks for pointing it out. The OP is talking about rounding down a half gallon and rounding up a half gallon, all under government direction to confuse and decieve the general public. Why would GM take the chance of losing it's entire customer base for a lousy half gallon? Frankly, I find the whole premise absurd.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 PM

331 posts, read 498,822 times
It is absurd. We don't even own a majority share in GM anymore. So hurry up and get that clunker off the road, and support a wholly-American company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies