Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times

Advertisements

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

GOOOH | Get Out of Our House: A non-partisan political party!

What do you call it when a Senator from Louisiana (Landrieu) sells her health care vote for $300 million and then brags about the deal? What term comes to mind when a Senator from Nebraska is threatened by his party that a military base in his state will be closed if he does not vote how he is told? What about when that very same Senator changes his mind and agrees to support the legislation in exchange for an agreement that the other 49 states will pay for the entire cost of Medicaid expansion in his state? Bribery, blackmail, and prostitution are the terms I think of. It saddens me to think what our government has become, that these are the adjectives we must use to describe the behavior of our elected officials.

Let’s send true citizen representatives to Washington. Help write history. The future of our grandchildren and theirs’ depends on what you and I do today. How much effort are you willing to put forth to ensure they have the same opportunities with which we have been blessed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I'm doing my part. When it comes to voting I vote NEITHER Dem/Repub. They are both corrupt and bought off by corporations.

I send emails all the time although all I ever get back are canned "I'm working hard for you in Washington" responses.

I have contributed to Ron Paul, about the only one in Washington that is a true representative "of the people".

Got to wake up the sheeple to this "one dog, two party system" that has turned into a total sham.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

What do you call it when a Senator from Louisiana (Landrieu) sells her health care vote for $300 million and then brags about the deal? What term comes to mind when a Senator from Nebraska is threatened by his party that a military base in his state will be closed if he does not vote how he is told? What about when that very same Senator changes his mind and agrees to support the legislation in exchange for an agreement that the other 49 states will pay for the entire cost of Medicaid expansion in his state? Bribery, blackmail, and prostitution are the terms I think of. It saddens me to think what our government has become, that these are the adjectives we must use to describe the behavior of our elected officials.

Let’s send true citizen representatives to Washington. Help write history. The future of our grandchildren and theirs’ depends on what you and I do today. How much effort are you willing to put forth to ensure they have the same opportunities with which we have been blessed?
Everything you say cannot be denied, it is true. But look at the lengths these Senators went thru, to keep this present Administration and President Happy! Is there not a person who can say no to obama. Kinda like blackmail, do what i want or else your State will suffer, do what i want and ahhhhhhhhhhhh you will get rewarded. What can we do to send a message, will our voices even count.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:

What do you call it when a Senator from Louisiana (Landrieu) sells her health care vote for $300 million and then brags about the deal?
Clearly you are not aware of this grand Louisiana political tradition!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:16 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,088,653 times
I think "term limits" is the only way some of these people will leave. Then most wil be "kicking and screaming" on the way out!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:18 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,819 times
My vote is for sale

Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
Quote:

Good post. It is unconscionable that these hacks are ignoring the American people, in favor of the Chicago Thugs in DC. Good thing these prostitutes will be gone by 2010.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:24 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,249,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
I think "term limits" is the only way some of these people will leave. Then most wil be "kicking and screaming" on the way out!
But you need Congress to vote for term limits. That ain't gonna happen. Just like these guys vote themselves a payraise or don't freeze govt spending to current or last year's levels while we're going through this economic rough patch. It's always bend over, and like it, to the constituents. I fear that even if there were term limits, there would be so many in Congress who would be in their last term, knowing they can't get re-elected that they would do unpopular things or not even care, and then it would be a lame duck session.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,558 times
Quote:
Get Our of Our House
Boy this makes alot of sense.
You righties are so far advanced in your education, it's truly a marvel.
Another marvel: worried about what your grandchildren will have to endure, when you don't give 2 cents about the environment. Gosh the right is so sensical.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:45 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,819 times
Great deflection, Sau..... I mean Hombre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies