Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 AM

898 posts, read 1,406,886 times

Advertisements

Many may not know, but often in states that have concealed carry permit requirements, there is absolutely no requirement to get a permit if the gun is carried openly, such as in a holster on your hip. Two states, Alaska and Vermont, do not require a permit to conceal a weapon.

This map, from OpenCarry.org shows which states allow open carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 AM

497 posts, read 1,178,873 times
Good to know and I will be keeping this. I have my C&C license but, don't openly carry. I have met a few who did and I found it very intimidating which was likely their intent. My husband and I were rebuilding our Muscle Car and had heard of a junkyard that carried Mopar parts. Went over there to check it out and you had to drive up to the gate, press a buzzer and wait for the guy to come let you in. He comes up to us wearing a pistol on his hip and stood there and grilled us about why we were there and what we wanted and were we really serious buyers or just wasting his time. My hubby looked at me and said, "I can't imagine wanting anything badly enought to put up with this douchebag..can you?" Nope. We left.

I saw it a lot on Arizona and it didn't faze me, but living in Michigan, while I would certainly be packed to the gills on a trip to Detroit, I would not carry openly. That would be just asking for trouble.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60'sGal View Post
Good to know and I will be keeping this. I have my C&C license but, don't openly carry. I have met a few who did and I found it very intimidating which was likely their intent. My husband and I were rebuilding our Muscle Car and had heard of a junkyard that carried Mopar parts. Went over there to check it out and you had to drive up to the gate, press a buzzer and wait for the guy to come let you in. He comes up to us wearing a pistol on his hip and stood there and grilled us about why we were there and what we wanted and were we really serious buyers or just wasting his time. My hubby looked at me and said, "I can't imagine wanting anything badly enought to put up with this douchebag..can you?" Nope. We left.

I saw it a lot on Arizona and it didn't faze me, but living in Michigan, while I would certainly be packed to the gills on a trip to Detroit, I would not carry openly. That would be just asking for trouble.
Agree, there is a time and a place where it is better if the general public not know you are armed. A hell hole like Detroit is a fine example. But then again, the gun I would want for such a place could not be concealed. A 12 Gauge loaded with buckshot is what I would want in a city like Detroit. Forget pistols!

Though I believe open carry is along the true spirit of the 2nd Amendment. In the old days, the good guys carried openly, the bad guys hid their weapons.

That said, anyone who chooses to carry openly, whether to avoid the permit process, or just because it's more comfortable (it is in the summer), please remember that you are a poster child for gun owners everywhere, so be on your best behavior, you represent the rest of us.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,303,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Many may not know, but often in states that have concealed carry permit requirements, there is absolutely no requirement to get a permit if the gun is carried openly, such as in a holster on your hip. Two states, Alaska and Vermont, do not require a permit to conceal a weapon.

This map, from OpenCarry.org shows which states allow open carry.
I live in Las Vegas. Does this mean I can walk down the LV strip with a gun strapped to me? I have never seen anyone do it, so I am a little perplexed on whether it is legal or not.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 AM

45,600 posts, read 60,912,159 times
They map as it relates to MD is incorrect. Md is not an open carry state and it is nearly impossible to receive a CCW permit. In fact, had I been stopped returning from goose hunting today the way I had my shotgun secured in my truck could have netted me an illegal transport and possesion of a firearm charge.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They map as it relates to MD is incorrect. Md is not an open carry state and it is nearly impossible to receive a CCW permit. In fact, had I been stopped returning from goose hunting today the way I had my shotgun secured in my truck could have netted me an illegal transport and possesion of a firearm charge.
They Show MD as a licensed open carry state. That means you need a license to carry at all. I don't think they have the info on whether a state is "may issue" or "shall issue" for permits. It sounds like MD is a may issue state, meaning it is up to discretion for the government.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I live in Las Vegas. Does this mean I can walk down the LV strip with a gun strapped to me? I have never seen anyone do it, so I am a little perplexed on whether it is legal or not.
OpenCarry.org - State Information For Nevada
Nevada Law Library

Quote:
NRS 268.418 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of firearms in city in county whose population is 400,000 or more. 1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.
2. The governing body of a city may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.
3. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:
(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.
4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:
(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.
(Added to NRS by 1989, 652; A 2007, 1289)
I'm not going to try to interpret Nevada's preemption law for you, as I'm not an attorney so I'm not really qualified to. But it looks like, so long as Vegas doesn't have a law from 1989 or prior, you can. Of course, my advice is worth what you paid for it.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,303,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
OpenCarry.org - State Information For Nevada
Nevada Law Library

I'm not going to try to interpret Nevada's preemption law for you, as I'm not an attorney so I'm not really qualified to. But it looks like, so long as Vegas doesn't have a law from 1989 or prior, you can. Of course, my advice is worth what you paid for it.
Thanks,

I would not actually do it, I was only curious if it was actually legal.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,870,655 times
FWIW, folks. It is also 100% legal to openly carry in your business, if you are the owner, at least in Florida, I believe it is that way nationwide.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,132,115 times
Well it is actually legal to open carry in Pennsylvania and the City of Philadelphia if you possess a concealed weapons permit. Other than that I think that it is an incredibly stupid idea to openly carry in an urban environment. Unless a lot of folks decide to openly carry, anyone carrying openly is bound to create an undue level of public discomfort, to say the least. It may be your god given right, but I just think that it is bad manners.

Carry concealed, keep the general public peaceful, and don't make yourself a target for bad people since you are the first one they are going to take out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies