Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times

Advertisements

In prime time, Fox News averaged 2.2 million viewers, a 7% rise over 2008, the network's best showing in its 13-year history, according to Nielsen. Remarkably, every program on the network's schedule expanded its audience in 2009. Beck, the channel's newest hire, averaged 2.4 million in his 2 p.m. PST show, a 95% boost for the time period. The Bret Baier-anchored newscast "Special Report," which follows Beck, grew 25% to 2 million viewers. And Bill O'Reilly continued his reign as the most-watched cable-news host, logging 3.3 million, a spike of 13%. Meanwhile, CNN and MSNBC, which enjoyed the biggest gains during the 2008 election, lost viewers in prime time this year. CNN dropped 30% to an average of 903,000 viewers, while MSNBC fell 12% to an average of 811,000."

If you are interested in cable news changes that will happen in 2010 on MSNBC and CNN and who did okay on MSNBC:

Fox News is cable champ -- latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Good for FOX, but I think CNN started changing as soon as Lou Dobbs left. At the moment they don't have any political commentary shows like Dobbs, while FOX has a whole slew : O'Reilly, Beck, Hannity etc all of whom have heavy bias towards the Republican party. So, I think CNN is trying to fill the vacant spot as the neutral news channel. They are not there yet, but that seems to be their desire. So, we would have MSNBC with bias towards the Dems, CNN - neutral and FOX with bias towards Republicans.

Lou Dobbs was independent, and I watched him a lot, but like his FOX colleagues his show was not "news", it was political commentary. That is what CNN is trying to get away from. Time will tell if they succeeded.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:53 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,430,465 times
Glad to see MSNBC is going to do more news coverage. Sorry to see Ratigan move to a time I'm less likely to catch any of his show.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,309,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In prime time, Fox News averaged 2.2 million viewers, a 7% rise over 2008, the network's best showing in its 13-year history, according to Nielsen. Remarkably, every program on the network's schedule expanded its audience in 2009. Beck, the channel's newest hire, averaged 2.4 million in his 2 p.m. PST show, a 95% boost for the time period. The Bret Baier-anchored newscast "Special Report," which follows Beck, grew 25% to 2 million viewers. And Bill O'Reilly continued his reign as the most-watched cable-news host, logging 3.3 million, a spike of 13%. Meanwhile, CNN and MSNBC, which enjoyed the biggest gains during the 2008 election, lost viewers in prime time this year. CNN dropped 30% to an average of 903,000 viewers, while MSNBC fell 12% to an average of 811,000."

If you are interested in cable news changes that will happen in 2010 on MSNBC and CNN and who did okay on MSNBC:

After reading that article that started off with a picture of my favorite TV personality I think I found out why people don't watch MSNBC. At the end of the article I learned how they reported the Christmas day event that allegedly happened and learned that they went ahead with their planned animal extinction shows with some sex misdoings instead of talking about the attempted murder of nearly 300 people along with the bomber's suicide.

I surely am glad that I spend most of my 24/7 time on the favorite channel and not the bottom one.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,449,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post

Glad to see MSNBC is going to do more news coverage. Sorry to see Ratigan move to a time I'm less likely to catch any of his show.
And I'm more likely to catch it, which makes me very, very happy. Dylan Ratigan RULZ!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,993,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I think Republicans are just more desperate for political news since they lost the 2008 election. So more are tuning into Fox.

And Democrats are doing the exact opposite, and watching less political news, since they know their government is now in good hands.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,430,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
After reading that article that started off with a picture of my favorite TV personality I think I found out why people don't watch MSNBC. At the end of the article I learned how they reported the Christmas day event that allegedly happened and learned that they went ahead with their planned animal extinction shows with some sex misdoings instead of talking about the attempted murder of nearly 300 people along with the bomber's suicide.
At this point in time, people don't watch MSNBC for news, we watch for commentary. Those of us who are regular viewers know that they have that schedule of reruns most of the weekend. It has to be really big news for them to do live broadcasting beyond their morning weekend shows. Considering this started out as a non-story about some nut setting off firecrackers on a plane, it's not surprising that they didn't call in their on-air people over a holiday weekend. By the time the story unfolded, I guess they figured the news channels had it covered -- and they did.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM

270 posts, read 656,823 times
Fox news is the most neutral and objective as far as I can tell. Both CNN and MSNBC are left wing propaganda machines. For instance, both of the later normally will not report crimes commit by blacks against whites (such as the Christian and Newsom case), and heavily bias other stories to the point that what's being reported isn't even close to what the person quoted was actually trying to say or what actually happened. The only way I can find a good sample of all stories is to turn on fox. I used to watch cnn, but they censored so many stories due to left wing bias, that I finally was forced to go to fox and never looked back.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:06 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,352,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
Fox news is the most neutral and objective as far as I can tell. Both CNN and MSNBC are left wing propaganda machines. For instance, both of the later normally will not report crimes commit by blacks against whites (such as the Christian and Newsom case), and heavily bias other stories to the point that what's being reported isn't even close to what the person quoted was actually trying to say or what actually happened. The only way I can find a good sample of all stories is to turn on fox. I used to watch cnn, but they censored so many stories due to left wing bias, that I finally was forced to go to fox and never looked back.
I can tell you from experience, that Fox is not neutral. All stories are tilted to appeal to their core audience. Many stories that should have been just 'local news' have been made national by Fox, purely for the core audiences need for fresh ammo.

Fox News gives their audience what it wants. If that floats your boat, fine and dandy, but don't mistake it for being news.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,388,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I also enjoy watching Ratigan.... if I read the article correctly, he'll be on 1:00 PM PST which still works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies