Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:17 PM

100 posts, read 253,485 times

Advertisements

A lot of professional teams tend to use other cities they may move to as leverage in getting a stadium built.

I know in Minnesota, I've seen the taxpayers subsidize a college football stadium and an mlb stadium (Hennepin County). Now the Vikings want a new stadium subsidized.

I know that the Tampa Rays are trying to get a new stadium.

Pittsburgh was at risk of losing an NHL team until the Penguins got a new NHL rink.

Lots more of cities out there...

I've never believed in big government especially when subsidizing wealthy owners stadiums. But I do believe that government can and probably should step in if there is economic benefit that justifies the cost.

So, I am curious:

Fundamentally, should cities or states subsidize sports stadiums or not?

Is there an economic benefit that outweighs the cost? I've seen studies that argue both sides although I have always believed the cost isn't justified. Than again, you have: jersey sales, ticket sales which will trickle down. You have bars and resturants which probably benefit on game days for sports. You have rich players (in professional sports) that probably spend a lot due to high incomes and have higher taxes (since most professional players make good salaries). Service jobs at stadiums...

You also have an emotional benefit since it is usually fun to watch the team/s play (unless they are a toilet bowl franchise).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
In this day and time, i'd seriously consider tossing out of office any official that mentions using tax dollars to subsidize a sporting facility. When times are good, it may be a worthy consideration. But, as you said, many studies have been done showing that it's not always a good investment. Accordingly, I don't think it's a risk worth taking in these dire economic times.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Absolutely 100% yes! It's is good business for local government to invest in pro stadiums.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Similar I think to a government bail-out. Those sports teams ought to be able to afford a new stadium if their situation requires it. They are a business just like every other. Taking the Twins example in particular, the threat they made to move if the city didn't buy them a new stadium was ridiculous. On the other hand, if other cities were duped into building them one, it would then be a business decision. I blame the players union for causing salaries for playing a game to reach the levels that they have. If payrolls weren't so high, teams could afford to build new venues and keep ticket prices lower.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:33 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,815 times
No. It is corporate welfare.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:35 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Similar I think to a government bail-out. Those sports teams ought to be able to afford a new stadium if their situation requires it. They are a business just like every other. Taking the Twins example in particular, the threat they made to move if the city didn't buy them a new stadium was ridiculous. On the other hand, if other cities were duped into building them one, it would then be a business decision. I blame the players union for causing salaries for playing a game to reach the levels that they have. If payrolls weren't so high, teams could afford to build new venues and keep ticket prices lower.
Easy to agree, very incredible how money always finds a way to "beg"

Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Depends, I guess.

For a professional sports team? Hell, no. "Professional" means you're a business, and that means providing your own facilities.

But providing facilities for amateurs is a traditional function of government, dating back to the old Greeks. And quite a bit cheaper too.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
No.
Pittsburgh voted against stadiums and got stuck with them and the bills.

Let them go; you can't afford to go to a hockey game, let alone take your family and the stadiums were built on the government teat.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
It's a joint effort between the county ($300m) and the Pohlad family ($200m). The richest owners in baseball btw...I thought that would make you fell better

The stadium alone created 500 jobs. Not to mention the surrounding businesses. It was a good investment.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:47 PM

100 posts, read 253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It's a joint effort between the county ($300m) and the Pohlad family ($200m). The richest owners in baseball btw...I thought that would make you fell better

The stadium alone created 500 jobs. Not to mention the surrounding businesses. It was a good investment.

The argument isn't whether it helps the economy. Of course it does. You have the contruction jobs as you mentioned. You have service jobs at Target Field. You have jersey sales etc.

The real argument is: will all this come to 300 million over the 30 year life of stadiums? Is it JUSTIFIED. I don't know.

I know fundamentally, I have a big problem with owners getting money unless it helps Hennepin County OVERALL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies