Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Wow a government employee with cut and paste skills.
Well, one needs to know where to go to find it before you can copy and paste it. I don't seem to have very much company in that, do I...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 05:52 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
About noon on January 20, 2013. Of course, the new Prez could always ask him to stay on a la Gates...
I could understand that type of comment from a government worker. Corruption is part of the package with some.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:05 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Too many people who can't balance a checkbook think they've got financial smarts. Then they claim outrage that they didn't get information they wouldn't have understood to begin with a week before they actually did. Hot air continues to rise...
How about giving the people the opportunity to see for themselves whether they can understand it or not. The Government just loves to do our thinking for us, judging the people not smart enough to understand. What arrogance.

Yes, hot air continues to rise...permeating every branch of government.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I could understand that type of comment from a government worker. Corruption is part of the package with some.
John Boehner is a government worker. So (regretably) is Michelle Bachmann. Maybe you should wait to post until you have figured out something of actual substance to say.

Geithner did a tremendous job (at the NYFRB and then at Treasury) in working out with the Fed the ad hoc means and mechanisms of reacting to and limiting the effects of a financial collapse the likes of which no one had ever seen before and few had even imagined. Know-nothings like to believe that some sort of "natural business cycle" led us into this mess. Little could be further from the truth. This mess resulted from deliberate acts of economic vandalism that broke one of the primary elements of the global economy. Geithner again worked to impressive effect through the rounds of finance ministers meetings last Spring in redeeming the US from its position of shamed culprit to one of renewed respect and partnership in the task of setting things right again. Those efforts were what let Obama sail through the subsequent G20 meetings while smoothing the path back to the role of economic leadership that the US must in fact play in the world.

All you know is that Obama appointed Geithner, and that like hundreds of thousands of other Americans in any given year, he once had to correct his tax returns and owed additional taxes as the result. That's not enough.

Last edited by saganista; 01-08-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:

All you know is that Obama appointed Geithner, and that like hundreds of thousands of other Americans in any given year, he once had to correct his tax returns and owed additional taxes as the result. That's not enough.
Sly move. How would it go over if we all try that this April, then when we're found out (*if* we're found out, the way Geither was), we just say, "oops. I forgot".

Mabel next door might not do her taxes correctly and forget something, but a guy at the level of Geither can't expect us to believe that it was an innocent mistake.

Give me a break.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
How about giving the people the opportunity to see for themselves whether they can understand it or not. The Government just loves to do our thinking for us, judging the people not smart enough to understand. What arrogance.
The people -- at least one branch of them -- have a track record. They turn an agreement to reimburse doctors for time spent in counseling patients and their families re end-of-life care options into an establishment of death panels. When your task is somehow to prevent what everyone sees as imminent prospects for a slide into the depths of worldwide economic depression, you've got dozens of pots on the fire and many priorities to be concerned over. How about we just let these people do what needs to be done in real time and have them explain it all once a quiet moment comes along. Or perhaps, with a loved one on the operating table, you'd prefer that the surgeon ran out to explain, "We've got an artery here that's ruptured and bleeding profusely. We'd like to clamp that off before proceeding further if that's alright with you." Meanwhile the patient bleeds to death. There are no mandatory disclosure deadlines being manipulated in this case, and our friends in Pennsylvania have obviously not done due diligence if they are unaware of how AIG's counterparties were handled. By the way, those counterparties had counterparties, and those as well, and it isn't so very far down the old counterparty chain before the counterparty is YOUR checkbook. You and the other whiners all live on the river bank, and you complain that a dam was built upstream from you to control the raging floodwaters. How stupid is that?

Quote:
Yes, hot air continues to rise...permeating every branch of government.
Well, once that government is headed by someone named Obama. When it was headed by someone named Bush, those who pointed out example after actual example of perverse lying and other abuses by administration officials were labelled as America-haters. Seems to me that you and yours are nothing but a meaningless bunch of perfunctory partisan flip-floppers. There's no real reason to pay any mind to you at all.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
It's the big daddy complex the Obama admin has. They do our thinking for us so we don't have to. We don't need to hold them accountable for anything, because they never do wrong.

FTR, Geithner didn't have a "one-time" oops tax slip up. It was from 2001-2004 I believe and a $34,000 tax liability he simply "forgot" he owed. And this is the guy we want heading up the FED???

Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Well, once that government is headed by someone named Obama. When it was headed by someone named Bush, those who pointed out example after actual example of perverse lying and other abuses by administration officials were labelled as America-haters. Seems to me that you and yours are nothing but a meaningless bunch of perfunctory partisan flip-floppers. There's no real reason to pay any mind to you at all.
Well gosh, I feel dumb now. I was always taught that two wrongs don't make a right. Silly me.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Sly move. How would it go over if we all try that this April, then when we're found out (*if* we're found out, the way Geither was), we just say, "oops. I forgot". Mabel next door might not do her taxes correctly and forget something, but a guy at the level of Geither can't expect us to believe that it was an innocent mistake. Give me a break.
You don't deserve a break. Neither does anyone else who goes around mouthing tax-cheat, tax-cheat, tax-cheat over and over again, when mistakes like Geithner's are being made by upstanding Americans of every sort by the thousands every year. Maybe that's not something that folks who simply file a 1040-EZ every April can relate to, but it's the fact.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
You don't deserve a break. Neither does anyone else who goes around mouthing tax-cheat, tax-cheat, tax-cheat over and over again, when mistakes like Geithner's are being made by upstanding Americans of every sort by the thousands every year. Maybe that's not something that folks who simply file a 1040-EZ every April can relate to, but it's the fact.
My god...It was just an innocent mistake..

I guess the only logical thing to do now is "cheat", I mean make honest mistakes on our taxes...

Now that we got that cleared up, I guess it couldnt be logical to make the tax codes easier for people to follow....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies