Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Another jittery flight crew questioned the actions of a few Muslim passengers today, causing yet another flight to be delayed and police to question the four men.

Flight 243 Delay: Northwest Airlines Flight Bound to Detroit Diverted As Crew Grows Suspicious of Muslim Men - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,092,613 times
Muslims should have to walk until we can ferret out the terrorist among them.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Muslims should be allowed to fly but with heavy scrutiny and restrictions on the numbers of them allowed on a single flight. I would allow no more than 1 Muslim male between the ages of 12 and 55 for every 25 passengers and a maximum of 6 on any given flight. I also would not allow them to sit together.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I do feel sorry for them. The majority are nothing more then passengers. But the threat is real.
I'm on the fence with this one..on one hand we need that type of scrutiny. On the other hand we are infringing on their rights.

I just don't know about this one. It's like:

They came for the Muslims.
I did nothing because I was not a Muslim.
When they came for me there was no one left.

Kinda reminds me of what I read about how the US treated Amerian-Japanese during WWII.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Damn pro-filers anyway!
I don't like anyone being singled out. I certainly wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
When I was stationed in Norfolk the cops in Norfolk and Va Beach were always targeting sailors or marines. It sucked. Unfortunately they had a good reason for it. Quite a few Sailors and Marines made it a point to get plowed and act like total idiots. The end result was stereo typing and profiling. I blame those who caused the situation. My fellow Sailors and Marines.
Muslims are in the same boat. Most Muslims are honest good people. To bad that enough M.E Muslims are also radicals with an agenda to kill westerners. For too long the Muslims in this country were relatively silent in regards to terrorism. Can't blame them a whole lot either. They were just trying to stay under the radar and keep to themselves.
When I fly I look around at my fellow passengers. I am not thrilled to see sullen looking M.E type guys sitting together. I don't really get worried about them but I am aware of them. The radicals amoung them have caused this.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:36 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I do feel sorry for them. The majority are nothing more then passengers. But the threat is real.
I'm on the fence with this one..on one hand we need that type of scrutiny. On the other hand we are infringing on their rights.

Kinda reminds me of what I read about how the US treated Amerian-Japanese during WWII.
Yes, I agree. It feels like being between the proverbial rock and the hard place.

I think if the Muslim community was more vocal in condemning the actions of their extreme brothers, I would feel differently. But, until they are more vocal I tend to agree that they all need closer watching. Not to the exclusion of other groups, though. We need to be more watchful of everyone.

KevK has a sensible plan, but even that's too many Muslims on one flight for my comfort level. I'm glad airline crews are watchful and doing their job. Passengers will need to be increasingly more aware and ready to take action if needed. It looks like for a while, anyway, it will be up to the passengers to take matters into their own hands. Kudos to those on the other flight who saved the day - especially that one person who who was courageous enough to jump the flaming underwear terrorist.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 PM

124 posts, read 558,338 times
If I was middle-eastern or muslim and Im flying on a plane, I am on my best behavior.I'm a little low profile anyway and don't like much attention but I would want to make others feel at ease because "everyday american" is going to be watching and it would help their perception.

After reading that article and a couple similar, I think some muslims enjoy pushing the envelope in scaring people.These guys knew what they were doing IMO and could care less.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Kinda reminds me of what I read about how the US treated American-Japanese during WWII.
My opinion is that a few bad apples will always hurt the whole basket.
If above is true, then it is too bad for the good Muslims .
Even with the difficulties theres no way authorities can ignore any
hint of danger. My goodness , this is war. War from the inside , that
have much hatred in mind. Its better for all Muslims to re group and
unfold an enhanced anti-violent sect. So , nobody in their right mind
would ignore something that looks even remotely suspect . Muslims
should be expecting preferred treatment in a preferred Country. A Country thats being tormented by threats and unspeakable devastation rooted in"Muslim Controversies" of interpetation

Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjive View Post
If I was middle-eastern or muslim and Im flying on a plane, I am on my best behavior.I'm a little low profile anyway and don't like much attention . .
OK, you fit the profile - come this way please.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
How about we bring back Pan Am and make it a Muslim-only carrier. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies