Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,814,620 times

Advertisements

The Commercial Real Estate Time Bomb has gone off but it has been lost in the euphoria of economic cheerleading and bottom calls based on dubious (at best) earnings reports from banks. Here are a few headline items from the past week or so to consider.

Malls shedding stores at record pace

CNN Money is reporting Malls shedding stores at record pace

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Commercial Real Time Bomb Goes Off But No One Notices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I have noticed that "FOR LEASE" has a whole lot of stores around here. It is even on some really big box places.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,953,197 times
This is just the beginning and if you think the non-commercial market took at hit with the housing bubble burst you're in for a new awakening. We aren't out of a recession, we're heading into a full blown depression. I DO HOPE that I'm wrong but I've heard this from professionals in the industry for the last 8 months.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
We are in huge trouble. And some would like to put Repubs back into power so they can clean it up????

Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
I'd like to see the statistics differentiated between indoor malls and out door strip malls.

Around here, and just about everywhere else I've been lately, the "new" strip malls are booming: new construction, packed parking lots, healthy ancillary businesses such as restaurants and bars. The only stores I've seen closed are those which belonged to retail chains which went out of business.

The enclosed malls, however, are suffering and closing down. The only one we have left locally is more than half empty and going there is like visiting a funeral home. Why? The high cost of maintaining that air conditioned and heated comfort which was their premier selling point when first built about 20 years ago. I've noticed the same thing in other places.

Perhaps the figures your post indicated don't really tell the whole story.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Default Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The Commercial Real Estate Time Bomb has gone off but it has been lost in the euphoria of economic cheerleading and bottom calls based on dubious (at best) earnings reports from banks. Here are a few headline items from the past week or so to consider.

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Commercial Real Time Bomb Goes Off But No One Notices
So sick of the concept of a "mall" being a place filled with stores that have merchandise made from other countries, all of which is vastly overpriced. It may be time for the concept of the "mall" to go away, a casualty of a high-tech society and the internet.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 AM

9 posts, read 13,968 times
Commercial properties are dropping in value at alarming speeds causing banks balance sheets serious problems.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

Tear down the unused office buildings and empty malls and build housing on that already developed property so they don't have to tear down more woods for houses and apartment complexes. The construction workers stay employed. The roads are already there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies