Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Actually I've already gone. Tomorrow I'm going to get an MRI. If they find something that can be corrected surgically I want that surgery. If medication will work I want that. If physical therapy is indicated I want that.

Why? I want to run on my treadmill again. I want to walk through the woods with my dog. I want to run cross country with my son again. If modern medicine enables me to do all of the above I want modern medicine.

I guess this makes me greedy .....

1. No one will operate unless you have used NSAIDs or completed PT

2. An MRI is not necessary unless one has completed above and there is no instability (ACL or PCL tear)

3. You most likely have a meniscus tear (hurts on the medial side of your knee when you pivot and turn through) which in most cases is treated non-operatively.

The good thing is that YOU have the RIGHT to determine whatever the hell you want to do with your body, not the feds. You can find a physician to do about anything you want, as long as it is necessary and reasonable, and do not need the feds to monitor your body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Actually I've already gone. Tomorrow I'm going to get an MRI. If they find something that can be corrected surgically I want that surgery. If medication will work I want that. If physical therapy is indicated I want that.

Why? I want to run on my treadmill again. I want to walk through the woods with my dog. I want to run cross country with my son again. If modern medicine enables me to do all of the above I want modern medicine.

The body heals just fine on its own. No need to go to some quack with a degree that claims he or she knows what he or she is doing.

But that IS your prerogative.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:

What?
Please explain to me what the heck you're complaining about.
You have insurance, many don't. They can't go to a doctor.

I have health insurance and they paid $4.00 for my broken foot.

What's your point?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
In 1980 I was involved in a pretty bad motorcycle accident (I was a passenger). One of the injuries I supposedly had was a tear in my medial meniscus. I underwent an arthroscopy. The attending physician stated in no uncertain terms that if the damage was not surgically repaired I would be a veritable cripple by the time I was 40 (I was 25 at the time).

Wisely, I ignored his advice. I am now 54 years old and I have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with the offending knee. Not only am I NOT a cripple, but it is no different in form or function than the other knee.

The human body has a nearly miraculous ability to heal itself. If it were MY knee, I'd start taking it easy and CONSERVE your joints rather than trying to destroy them with overuse and abuse. People are not designed to run cross country or run for miles and miles and miles. It is not natural and you are going end up replacing ALL your joints before you are 60 if you keep it up.

Unless of course, you enjoy the pain. Which admittedly, some people do.

20yrsinBranson

Well, let's see now .... the human body wasn't designed to have electronic pacemakers and artificial heart valves. We weren't born with eyeglasses, hearing aids and dentures, either. But most of us make use of these items and more when our body isn't able to heal itself. We also use many chemical concotions that our bodies don't make naturally, personally I'd think you would have a difficult time getting a lot of people to give them up.

Good for you if you got by without the surgery.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What?
Please explain to me what the heck you're complaining about.
You have insurance, many don't. They can't go to a doctor.

I have health insurance and they paid $4.00 for my broken foot.

What's your point?
I wouldn't have insurance myself if I didn't go out and purchase it.

Another poster was proud of his non-use of his insurance, thought I'd post a different view.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The body heals just fine on its own. No need to go to some quack with a degree that claims he or she knows what he or she is doing.

I don't think my MD is a quack.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
When my teenage son was hit by a car except for the initial hospital stay when they pumped him full of pain med (only for the first two days) he was not given any meds. The only thing the doctors said to take was aspirin if needed. He did go through PT and saw the doctor every month or two. He also got an MRI after the swelling went down in his knee, which pretty much didn't show anything. About six months after the accident his knee popped and swelled up again. The doctor ordered surgery (arthroscopic). The doctor pretty much knew what was wrong, but without going in he wouldn't be able to see every thing. It was the meniscus (I'm sure I didn't spell that correctly), but he also found a chunk of cartilage that had been dislodged which he removed and poked holes in the area in hopes that it heals itself.
My son was in lot of pain after the surgery, but has been okay so far (keeping fingers crossed).
He was on CoverKids which paid for most of it, but they were reimbursed after the settlement.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

I fell and hurt my shoulder and it was getting worse and worse on its own. It got to where I could barely lift my left arm above my head and unexpected movement sent an excruciating stab of pain down my arm. I went to physical therapy for 6 weeks and I got the use of my shoulder back.

My PT "quack" and her really good PT assistant "quack" knew what they were doing. I considered it money very well spent.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
No it means the OP is normal/ Not going to teh dictor when you have insurnace like the toehr guy;is like buying a car then not driivng it to cut polution.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I got my pins out thank goodness. Having them pulled out was so creepy. They had me lay on the table cover my eyes. Next thing you know you heard Pop Pop Pop from them pulling the pins out. One at a time. I also had a cast to my elbow. I had to have some therapy also. I have what I call vampire bites in my wrist from where the pins went in

I didnt have insurance.I had to pay for it all out of pocket. I did it and didnt file bankrupt. Doctors will work with you. They know you need the treatment they arent going to just turn you away without trying to work something out with you

I dont wish a broken bone on anyone.
That's fantastic for you, but not everyone has the money to pay, and if you're stricken with something like cancer, you're screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies