Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:09 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times

Advertisements

Actually if my congress could do nothing the world would be a better place.
No spending no lies and bailouts.
No endless wars and no ways to increase taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The tax cut was passed well before the economy started to turn around.
I think that was my point.

Tax cuts = stimulated economies..

Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
LOL, don't listen or read anything the Republicans say or write then say they are obstructionists. Just a game the Dems are playing. Read what the Republicans have to say then make up your own mind. Also, to remind you the Dems are in control and are the majority. They do not need the Republicans so why blame them for not getting things done? Just stupid.

The Demquacks, are not even good at their OWN GAME, go figure!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Have you ever considered that what our congressmen and senators are supposed to do is to do what is best for the Republic?

"Gridlock" as you put it, works to protect the Republic when one party "lords it over" the entire nation, pushing an agenda that is not good for us, as the Democrats have been doing. Have you even noticed that they aren't listening to the American people? What are the American people saying, loudly and clearly?
  • "Stop the out of control spending".
  • "We do not want socialized health care; we're happy with our current plans, and we do not want to give them up."
  • "Quit the 'wealth redistribution' talk, it's theft! I earned my money."
  • "Stop with the bail-outs and then using it as an excuse to tell companies what they can and cannot pay their people. That's tyranny."
  • "Quit trying to sensor the voices of certain citizens whom criticize your failed policies (they have all been done before, and are no more successful under your administration).
  • "Shut up! Mr. President, Obama, sir! And quit lying! We do not want to listen to your lies anymore!"
The Democrats have played the "obstructionists" whenever they are out of power. They have also been called the party of "no", many times over the years.

However the Republicans have no power whatsoever under this Congress and this Administration. The Democrats can do whatever they wish. Republicans cannot stop them. Democrats only want Republicans to "go along" so that when the polices fail (which they will, and indeed already are), they can share the blame. They do not want to shoulder the whole burden of failure.

Why should Republicans work with the Democrats on an agenda that is so diametrically opposed to the principles of our very founding, and the fundamental principles of conservatism (which are supposed to be the guiding principles of the Party, and which they have previously abandoned, costing them the election)? They shouldn't.

Are we, as conservatives, supposed to embrace Mao, Chavez, and Fidel Castro, as the Democrat Party and the Obama Administration does? Certainly not!

Have you even listened to what some of these people in Obama's administration have said? Or doesn't it worry you? Well, I'll tell you what, buster, it worries me a lot. These people are not lovers of America, or the principles on which it was founded. These people are all enemies of America, and they are dictating to the Congress. "Do it, or I will issue an executive order.", Obama said. "If you do not pass 'Cap and Trade', we at the EPA will mandate it." Is this not tyranny?

Finally, you'll have to go back further than eight years to find out what "brought us to our knees", as you put it. Go back, for example to the Jimmy Carter era. The seventies. The Community Reinvestment Act. That is the piece of legislation that forced banks (under threat of losing their FDIC insurance) to make loans to people who were big risks. They did not qualify. But the banks were forced to make the loans.

This program was greatly expanded under Clinton. This was the reason for the banking/mortgage "meltdown". Republicans had warned many times. But guess what? The Democrats weren't listening. They were covering for their own people (Franklin Raines), and said that his leadership was "wonderful", and that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were just fine. Right. The rest is history. Bush had nothing to do with it. Republicans couldn't convince Democrats there was a problem. They weren't listening. And the videos have been all over YouTube, so there is no way you can deny this.

But you Democrats keep blaming Bush. Go ahead. The American people, the conservative majority, are not buying it anymore. Hence, the Scott Brown victory.

The Democrats in congress are now abandoning ship. They see the handwriting on the wall. The leadership still is not listening. They all must go.

We know who's to blame for this colossal crash of our economy. It could have been saved under the right leadership. But, Obama is not of that mindset. He is a Progressive. It is his intention to collapse our system.

Thank you very much for being so blunt, and so honestly true. There is such truth, in what you have spoken, does not take a rocket scientist to know the facts are true. I also do not see Obama has progressive, the only thing he is Progressive with, or has vision with his is own AGENDAS.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:17 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
If you enjoy a gridlocked, DO NOTHING congress...vote Republican.

Government is a little too big and a lot too busy. Do nothing for a while would be a relief.

Three things they can get done in one session. Lower taxes, balance the budget, take a long national holiday.

Wait... one more law. Any state hiring U.S. government workers should be a 'right to work state', requiring equal hiring of non-Union workers for any business involved in government contracts.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:19 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
The obstructionist party...who refuses to compromise and work together with the other side... even when our lives are at stake!

All for political gain because they know that if Obama has nothing to show in 2012 ...they'll look good.

So they've calculated that if they just drag their heels and lob enough wrenches they'll be back in power and they can continue business as usual. The same business that has been going on for 8 years of solid GOP power and what has brought a once power nation to it's knees.

Nice work GOP.
Keep it up and maybe we'll forget who really is to blame here.
I'm a Democrat and hate to say this....but just to be clear.....our party, the Democrats have held the majority in both Congress and Senate, this past year, along with having a Democrat (idiot that he is) president. There was no way for Repubs to block us. So why, for one year, have we not gotten anything done? What has stopped us? Hasn't been the Repubs....they have no power, we are the majority.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
This whine is so tiring and political. For one year the Dem's could not accomplish a thing with a super majority. They did not need or want a republican vote. They could have enacted anything they wished. the failed and now say its the republicans fault. the Dem's still have a huge majority in the house and senate. Now they will have to work with republicans to get it out of the senate. They no longer have the ability to ignore the minority.
Stop whining you had one full year to do whatever you wished.

BINGO you just hit the JACKPOT. boy you hit the nail on the head. They could not pass a darn thing with a super majority, did not need the republician vote. And they sure do not have the ability to ignore the minority. Wish they would stop the whining, and come to the determination of what exactly is going on here.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:22 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
You got me! i enjoy gridlock!

LESS GUBBERMINT IS BETTER!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think that was my point.

Tax cuts = stimulated economies..
Please re-read. I said WELL BEFORE. In fact the economy continued to plummet well after the tax cut was passed and the worst of the job losses occurred after the cut as well. The tax cuts passed in 1981 did not stimulate the economy, the only thing it really did was cause the deficits to rise.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:37 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
As an Independent voter, I will ask you to just focus on the facts. There is no gridlock caused by Republicans in Congress. The Republicans, frankly, are just taking up space. If they show up and vote in 100% lockstep to do everything in their power to circumvent anything that the Democrats want...IT DOESN'T MATTER! They can scream, they can wave their own legislation around, they can hold one press conference after another claiming they're being excluded from the process and it wouldn't matter if the Democrats actually had their act together.

Here's the math:

House of Reps Breakdown:
256 Democrats
0 Independents
178 Republicans
Votes needed to pass A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G they want...218 (that means that 38 Dems can vote with the Republicans and they can still pass whatever they want)

Senate Breakdown:
57 Democrats
2 Independents
41 Republicans (with Scott Brown victory)
Votes need to pass A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G they want...51. Meaning that even if the Independents voted with the Republicans, they could still have 4 Democrats drop out and pass whatever they want.

So, here's where I don't see the logic. Nancy Pelosi claims after the Scott Brown victory, they don't have the votes in the House to pass health care. Scott Brown was voted into the Senate. The numbers above apply just the same as they did before Kennedy died. Yet, those who are partisan are still yelling that it's all the Republicans fault. I'm not a math genius, but even I can figure out this one.

Do you think for one minute that if there was a Republican president and a Republican supermajority in Congress (not seen since the 1920s) that the Republicans wouldn't take advantage and bring every single one of their platform issues right through Congress to the President's desk? Do you think for one moment that they would stop and listen to the Democrats who would no doubt be screaming about the lack of bipartisanship?

The election of Obama and the wave of Democrats who swept into office was the American public saying "Ok, we've seen what happens when Republicans run the show...let's see now what you can do. And to make the pot even sweeter, we're not only going to give you a majority, but a supermajority (not seen since the 1920s)." And what have the Democrats done?

As an Independent voter, I am saddened by it all. I said it before, but when Obama was elected, I felt a definite sense of optimism that has been totally deflated. I feel like I have nowhere to go...the Democrats are abysmal failures and I am not exactly jumping for joy at the prospect of voting for another Republican. I don't think I'm alone in the sea of Independent voters out there.

But I'm not going to just accept these bogus claims that Healthcare Reform, Cap & Trade, Immigration, etc, can't get passed because the Republicans are causing gridlock. The Republicans aren't doing anything...it's the Democrats who can't get their act together long enough to actually figure out what their "we will fall on the sword if necessary because we believe in this legislation so much" issues are and get them passed before November. The Republicans are practically chomping at the bit for November, but if the public supported the legislation that the Democrats passed and we saw firsthand that it worked, the Dems wouldn't have to worry about November. Instead, they've blown a history-making opportunity and the Independent voters who are going to decide the elections in November are really mad.
You just need to STICK this in a way so it will NEVER fall off the face of a Proggie Lib!
OR.......the face of another die hard, Democrat that STILL has their head buried so deep in the sand, they don't know up from down. The OP is just ignorant of current events and haven't noticed the sheer number of FORMER Dems that have jumped ship from the WORST party in America!

The ONE party that HAD it all and could have passed anything!

Yeah...the DUMB-O-CRATS.

Who's obstructing 'em?
Ain't the Republicans, bub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies