Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 01:05 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,937 times

Advertisements

Serious. Trees are protected in Canada. You can own private property in Canada but are unable to landscape your property without first paying exuberant fees. $100 per tree if non construction related and $300 per tree if construction related. Ridiculous.

The more gov't extends into the private sector, the more fees (taxes) we will see and the more restrictions we will face to the point you can't chop down a tree on your own property without getting a gov't permit and paying out the ass.

Canadian Application for Tree Removal

There was a huge push back that Google Street Scene would be an invasion of our privacy. It seems those feelings are validated here:

Google Camera Helps Nab Alleged Tree Killers | Threat Level | Wired.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
That's Toronto, not all of Canada...

Several cities in the U.S. are as bad or even worse (involving literally thousands of dollars sometimes and trees endangering lives not being allowed to be cut). Dense urban areas seem to breed that control freak stupidity.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:16 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
In certain historic districts back east it is almost impossible. Some homeowners resort to poisoning their own trees to kill them.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:17 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Serious. Trees are protected in Canada. You can own private property in Canada but are unable to landscape your property without first paying exuberant fees. $100 per tree if non construction related and $300 per tree if construction related. Ridiculous.

The more gov't extends into the private sector, the more fees (taxes) we will see and the more restrictions we will face to the point you can't chop down a tree on your own property without getting a gov't permit and paying out the ass.

Canadian Application for Tree Removal

There was a huge push back that Google Street Scene would be an invasion of our privacy. It seems those feelings are validated here:

Google Camera Helps Nab Alleged Tree Killers | Threat Level | Wired.com
"exorbitant"

(School is free up there)

Old 02-01-2010, 04:35 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"exorbitant"

(School is free up there)
Come on. No one like a grammar/spelling nazi.

I didn't use exorbitant, as I wasn't trying for outrageous but rather was going for a sense of overexagerated, extremely joyful lavishly abundant tax.

$100 per tree is more than an exorbitant tax, it is an uninhibitedly enthusiastic exuberant tax - in my opinion.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Come on. No one like a grammar/spelling nazi.

I didn't use exorbitant, as I wasn't trying for outrageous but rather was going for a sense of overexagerated, extremely joyful lavishly abundant tax.

$100 per tree is more than an exorbitant tax, it is an uninhibitedly enthusiastic exuberant tax - in my opinion.
Im just yanking your chain moss

''overexagerated, extremely joyful lavishly abundant tax'' haha, in that case I see what you mean. Oh no, look at the Arborist´s Reports etc, and THEIR fees, you have to file as well!

and I love the title, Application to Injure or Destroy Trees!!!!

I guess they´re serious....

Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
It only applies in Toronto to trees where the trunk is more than 12 inches in diameter 4.5' from the ground. A permit is not required if the tree is dead, a hazard, or terminally diseased.

The Private Tree By-law was adopted to preserve significant trees on private property in the City of Toronto, to assist in sustaining the urban forest in the City and to educate individuals with respect to tree protection measures and alternatives to tree injury and destruction. The permit process is designed to help increase our city's canopy cover from its current 17% to 30-40%
City of Toronto: Urban Forestry Services - Private Trees

Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
It only applies in Toronto to trees where the trunk is more than 12 inches in diameter 4.5' from the ground. A permit is not required if the tree is dead, a hazard, or terminally diseased.
Well having had to deal with the tree commission in my own area it would have to be leafless in July to cut it down. The commission itself is made up of bunch of people that have no clue. True story, my brother cut and pruned trees for while and we had a big wind storm that came through that knocked down a lot of big trees. He got a call to remove one that half fell on house but was still somewhat standing... the lady from the tree commission shows up and asks him how he was going to put it back straight.

LOL... you would have needed a D9 dozer to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies