Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:07 PM

377 posts, read 326,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I hope you don't handle your personal finances this way. What you are proposing is using one credit card to pay off another one, while never paying off either principle or interest, racking up ever increasing debt. Lots of people tried that in their personal life...and ended up bankrupt. Why would you expect better results when it's done on a larger scale?
People don't issue t-bonds supported by the full faith and credit of the US to cover personal obligations--we don't have that capacity. The government, however, issues more bonds all the time to cover bond expenses. The day that investors worldwide stop buying the safest investment in the US is the day we may have a problem. That is not today or tomorrow.

The government has always done it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The World will not stop buying them.....LOL

They would want the invest to go to zero????? Sure buddy!

Oh now you are on to all entitlements???

I thought the subject was Social Security??

Your scare tactics don't work there so you go off on a tangent.
Admittedly, the thread is about Social Security. But, the three big entitlement programs (Social Security, Medicaid, and Medicare) are all run by the same entity and thus all related. The federal government has to find a way to pay for all of them in the coming years and if said government runs out of money, has to raise interest rates substantially, has to deal with runaway inflation, or has to raise taxes substantially in order to pay for it all then this will cause serious problems for the future prosperity of our nation.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
Private Institutions sell bonds all the time. The government's (unethical) borrowing against the bonds is not illegal. AS conservatives point out all the time, government is not private enterprise. The debt can be satisfied as needed by issuing more bonds.
And getting deeper into debt. That is very fiscally responsible now isn't it?

Quote:
The reason it is not a Ponzi scheme is b/c the beneficiaries are all getting real benefits.
A Ponzi scheme provides every investor with full benefits....except the last ones.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:22 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
People don't issue t-bonds supported by the full faith and credit of the US to cover personal obligations--we don't have that capacity. The government, however, issues more bonds all the time to cover bond expenses. The day that investors worldwide stop buying the safest investment in the US is the day we may have a problem. That is not today or tomorrow.

The government has always done it that way.
Well we have a problem,foreigners bought only 640 billion of our Tbonds this year and we ran up 1.8 trillion.Who bought the rest?Look at the FR balance sheets,they bought up most of the rest.Do you think foreign countries are that stupid to keep letting us run up a tab.LMAO

Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Exactly. The government has to get the money from somewhere in order to pay back those bonds. It will tax me or it will borrow more money. Also, I will not get full benefits anyway. But, I tell you what. I am willing to deal with getting doubled-taxed and not receiving full benefits if the old people give up Medicare in its current incarnation. That program is what will destroy this nation.
Where are you getting your facts supporting your contention that you will not see SS benefits or that it will destroy this nation of ours? That's quite a leap.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/ProgData/fundFAQ.html#n2"

That link will supply you with the facts you need. The SSA even stood up to Bush's pressure to crow about privatization.

Quote:
Unthinkable? Every fiat currency in the history of mankind has decayed and been devalued. Take our massive federal debt and factor in the copious amounts of debt that is being added to it by the current administration and we face a stark fiscal future that our children will be saddled with.
Comparatively speaking, our debt ain't that bad.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2186rank.html

And every thing ends someday. SS will not end imminently though.

Quote:
Look up the cost projections on Medicare and Medicaid and then get back to me.
Medicare and Medicaid are not SS.

Quote:
The top economists in this nation who are familiar with our budget realities think that it is much more than a mole hill.
The SS actuaries would disagree with your top economists.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
And getting deeper into debt. That is very fiscally responsible now isn't it?
Most progress is predicated on debt.

Quote:
A Ponzi scheme provides every investor with full benefits....except the last ones.
Are you sure about that?

What is a Ponzi scheme?

A Ponzi scheme is an investment fraud that involves the payment of purported returns to existing investors from funds contributed by new investors. Ponzi scheme organizers often solicit new investors by promising to invest funds in opportunities claimed to generate high returns with little or no risk. In many Ponzi schemes, the fraudsters focus on attracting new money to make promised payments to earlier-stage investors and to use for personal expenses, instead of engaging in any legitimate investment activity. http://www.sec.gov/answers/ponzi.htm]"Ponzi Schemes

Ponzi Schemes are by definition criminal enterprises set out to defraud people. What is the defrauding part of SS benefits?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
Well we have a problem,foreigners bought only 640 billion of our Tbonds this year and we ran up 1.8 trillion.Who bought the rest?Look at the FR balance sheets,they bought up most of the rest.Do you think foreign countries are that stupid to keep letting us run up a tab.LMAO
Who ran up 1.8 trillion debt this year? Social Security?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting your facts supporting your contention that you will not see SS benefits or that it will destroy this nation of ours? That's quite a leap.
I will be double-taxed on S.S. and I will only see 75% of promised benefits. That speaks for itself. Also, I never said that SS would destroy the country. I said that Medicare in its current incarnation would.

Quote:
Comparatively speaking, our debt ain't that bad.
I disagree. It is gargantuan, constitutes a large amount of our GDP, and we are facing stiff economic competition from the Euro, China, and other rising nations. We produce enough wealth to service our debt at the moment, but can we continue doing so? Spain used to be loaded with wealth from the New World, yet they decayed and are now a second-rate power. The same could happen to us and our ability to deal with our creditors.

Quote:
Medicare and Medicaid are not SS.
But, as I have already explained they are related. They are all run by the federal government and it has to find a way to pay for them all. Can America deal with Medicare and Medicaid taking up 15% of our GDP? Can we deal with a huge interest payment on our debt? And with all of this going on can we keep Social Security afloat all while not taxing our citizenry to death to pay for it all?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Ponzi Schemes are by definition criminal enterprises set out to defraud people. What is the defrauding part of SS benefits?
I disagree. A Ponzi scheme is any financial setup that promises people certain things, has them pay into it, provides some benefit, and ends up falling apart in the end. Only giving out 75% of benefits to the later beneficiaries is not a complete falling apart...but it still does suck.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I will be double-taxed on S.S. and I will only see 75% of promised benefits. That speaks for itself. Also, I never said that SS would destroy the country. I said that Medicare in its current incarnation would.
Sorry, I see what you mean now.

You don't know that you'll be 'double taxed' on SS. You don't know that you'll receive only 75% of your promised benefit.

The actuarial projections show that, under the most favorable scenario of assumptions, you'll get 100% of your benefit. The most negative scenario shows a shortfall in 2039. That could be fixed by good economic performance, tinkering with the benefit formula, a benefit freeze or a tax hike...or as I pointed out, no action at all.

You are making sweeping statements with little basis.

Quote:
I disagree. It is gargantuan, constitutes a large amount of our GDP, and we are facing stiff economic competition from the Euro, China, and other rising nations. We produce enough wealth to service our debt at the moment, but can we continue doing so? Spain used to be loaded with wealth from the New World, yet they decayed and are now a second-rate power. The same could happen to us and our ability to deal with our creditors.
I just showed you a government site that shows our debt as a percentage of GDP is among the lowest in the world.

Quote:
But, as I have already explained they are related. They are all run by the federal government and it has to find a way to pay for them all. Can America deal with Medicare and Medicaid taking up 15% of our GDP? Can we deal with a huge interest payment on our debt? And with all of this going on can we keep Social Security afloat all while not taxing our citizenry to death to pay for it all?
Yes. We are, relatively speaking, a lightly taxed country. All your statements seem to convey hyperbole. 'taxed to death'...

The U.S. Tax Burden Is Low Relative to Other OECD Countries
The U.S. Tax Burden Is Low Relative to Other OECD Countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies