Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Huge police powers to snoop users that will accomplish nothing but spend copious amounts of money.

Police want backdoor to Web users' private data

Quote:

Anyone with an e-mail account likely knows that police can peek inside it if they have a paper search warrant.

But cybercrime investigators are frustrated by the speed of traditional methods of faxing, mailing, or e-mailing companies these documents. They're pushing for the creation of a national Web interface linking police computers with those of Internet and e-mail providers so requests can be sent and received electronically.
I love how the theme "protect the children" are constantly brought up in these kinds of things. It is as if we should be willing to give up our constitutional rights "for the good of the children".

I love children but the whole idea is farcical. For a real crook beating something like this would be child's play.

Here is how you do it.

Get Metropipe. for all your web surfing needs. Everything between your keyboard and Metropipe's servers is encrypted

Anonymizes your web browsing by obscuring the location of your computer and Internet IP address.

Encrypts your Internet activities, protecting your browsing from local network eavesdroppers (coworkers, neighbors, bosses, ISPs, oppressive governments).

Prevents tracking and logging of your browsing activity by your ISP.

Offshore servers, outside the USA/UK/China.

Their servers are located in Mexico, Costa Rica, Amsterdam and Germany well beyond the reach of American courts in countries that do not require companies to keep logs of any kind. Metropipe does not keep any logs and the only data they do keep is bandwidth usage. Even if they wanted to hand it over they couldn't because it doesn't exist.

If I were to send an email through yahoo, gmail or other online all trace of my ISP is stripped and it appears my email originated in Costa Rica, Mexico, Germany, Amsterdam or whatever country the server was located.

If I really wanted to play tough I could use a free Hushmail account that would encrypt my email before Metropipe encrypted it again before sending it off. The only thing my ISP would be able to tell is the time I logged onto Metropipe and how much bandwidth I used. I have to think Hushmail in conjunction with metropipe would be impossible to crack by all but the very top sophisticated spy agencies and even they might have trouble with it.

Not that it couldn't be cracked but it would take a great deal of effort coupled with great sophistication (well above normal police abilities) to accomplish.

The whole concept is childish.

Remember the Dateline series "To Catch a Predator"? Like most people I enjoyed watching it but they only caught the idiots and not the truly dangerous.

What always made me laugh was how could an overweight 55 year old man possibly think a 13 year old hottie would want anything to do with grandpa much less have grandpa be her first? As a male I sometimes felt embarrassed that someone of the same sex I am could even think something like this. The police want to fight morons and I am supposed to surrender my right of privacy so they can hunt these idiots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies