Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

The term "Partial Birth" abortion is appropriately descriptive of the procedure: The baby is partially out of the Vagina when a probe is inserted into the child's head and the brains are sucked out - thus killing the child.

Partial Birth Abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
My school didn't offer condoms in the nurse's office.

I guess you ignored the part of my post where I said there are age limits on buying condoms depending upon the store. Where my girlfriend works, they ask you how old you are before they sell you condoms.

I know some people who wanted to discuss sex with their parents but they also feared their parent beating them to a pulp so...there ya go. The parents didn't find out they were having sex until AFTER they revealed they were pregnant.
It's rare to find restrictions on condom sales. It's highly unusual. I mean, they sell them in bathrooms!

I believe you are making the exception the rule.

If the children are intimidated and don't want to discuss sex with their parents, then they should speak to another trusted adult. Oftentimes, that person can act as a safe buffer if there is difficulty confronting the parents.

A minor should not be having sex without the comfort of access to health safety and good medical advice. Public school nurses and counselors keep their doors open for this sort of discussion. They would also be able to provide resources of where to get condoms if the minor cannot get them.

If a minor is worried about the consequences of talking with their parents, how can they comprehend the consequences of a bad sexual experience?

Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Wal-Mart, Target, Rite-Aid and Walgreens are all places with access to condoms.

I'm not sure whether it's even legal to impose an age limit on condoms. I would call the condom manufacturer to report your girlfriend's store as one that verifies age. Perhaps it's a state thing?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:53 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In the VERY FEW CASES where the pharmacist will not fill the script, the pharmacy simply does not carry the medication. It will be known in the community.

It is NOT a big deal - it REALLY is not
It is a big deal if you have been raped and need the morning after pill.
You can't just wait for Wal-Mart to send it in the mail.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
You should know that your local hospital, clinic, and Rape Centers give you the option of the morning after pill when you go in to be checked after a rape.

If you have been raped, you should not be going to your pharmacist for this.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
The number of pharmacists that will not fill the script is so small that it is doubtful - HIGHLY DOUBTFUL, you will ever encounter the problem

But, if you do - go to another pharmacy. And, don't give that crap about it being "too far away". That is an excuse - a meaningless excuse - and you know it (or, should)

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
It's rare to find restrictions on condom sales. It's highly unusual. I mean, they sell them in bathrooms!

I believe you are making the exception the rule.

If the children are intimidated and don't want to discuss sex with their parents, then they should speak to another trusted adult. Oftentimes, that person can act as a safe buffer if there is difficulty confronting the parents.

A minor should not be having sex without the comfort of access to health safety and good medical advice. Public school nurses and counselors keep their doors open for this sort of discussion. They would also be able to provide resources of where to get condoms if the minor cannot get them.

If a minor is worried about the consequences of talking with their parents, how can they comprehend the consequences of a bad sexual experience?

Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Wal-Mart, Target, Rite-Aid and Walgreens are all places with access to condoms.

I'm not sure whether it's even legal to impose an age limit on condoms. I would call the condom manufacturer to report your girlfriend's store as one that verifies age. Perhaps it's a state thing?
I am sure it's an exception to the rule but I wanted to illustrate the point that there are restrictions.

As for public school nurses and counselors keeping their doors open...eh. Most schools don't even have a full time school nurse. Most of the school counselors are too busy advising kids on college (at least in high school settings). Then you have the counselors who are very religious and will rat the kid out to their parents if they mention in any interest in sex or reveal they are having sex. Every school counselor isn't created equal.

There are plenty of helpful books at the public library that can give great reproductive and sexual health advice to kids. It's where I learned most of the things I know about sex because my parents didn't have that talk with me. I learned all about birth control pills, IUDs, diaphrams, condoms, STDs, etc. Of course I realize not everyone my age at that time was at the public library trying to teach themselves about these things.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You should know that your local hospital, clinic, and Rape Centers give you the option of the morning after pill when you go in to be checked after a rape.

Exactly Good point

Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Private hospitals exempt on pill law - The Boston Globe

Old 02-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I am sure it's an exception to the rule but I wanted to illustrate the point that there are restrictions.

As for public school nurses and counselors keeping their doors open...eh. Most schools don't even have a full time school nurse. Most of the school counselors are too busy advising kids on college (at least in high school settings). Then you have the counselors who are very religious and will rat the kid out to their parents if they mention in any interest in sex or reveal they are having sex. Every school counselor isn't created equal.

There are plenty of helpful books at the public library that can give great reproductive and sexual health advice to kids. It's where I learned most of the things I know about sex because my parents didn't have that talk with me. I learned all about birth control pills, IUDs, diaphrams, condoms, STDs, etc. Of course I realize not everyone my age at that time was at the public library trying to teach themselves about these things.
Good for you for getting the information you needed. I have met some teens that have done the same. It's so important to take care of yourself and you did the right thing for your situation.

It's terrible to hear that school counselors behave in a way that doesn't assure trust with their students. Privacy and trust are necessary for any counseling to work.

I would then recommend a trip to a clinic or hospital and just ask the front desk where to go to get one. There are sooo many places that offer them free for "at risk" people. They will know something. Actually, when visiting your family doctor, they will give you some. They are not allowed to disclose anything to your parents without consent from you. I'm a mixed bag of feelings about this, but it's for the child's safety so it gets my thumbs up for that.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Oh, wow.... This IS interesting..

I didn't know about this. Thanks for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies