Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:27 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
And if the parents are poor? What then?
Do you seriously think these parents have $100,000+ lying around to pay for his treatment?

BTW, even under a single-payer system the parents can pay for the treatment out of pocket. No one would try to stop them.
How much are you willing to send them? Start a fund drive right here on CD...100 generous people to give $1000...that's all it would take. Or, break it down anyway you want...still, it's better than just whining for no purpose.

What do you have need of that is more important than this child's life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
WOW! We should be GRATEFUL when the insurance company we pay premiums to pays our medical bills?
Interesting...................
Yes, the procedure is NON FDA APPROVED... If the result was negative, the insurance company opened themself up to lawsuit liabilities..

Old 02-10-2010, 08:30 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
But we have no proof that government run health care would approve an experimental treatment, In fact i presume most health care services do not approve financing of experimental treatment. The fact that Childcare went ahead and approved one does not mean they or government health care would approve another. So if you are insinuating that we had government health care this child would get experimental health care you are jumping to a conclusion that might not be true. Most health care plans will not pay for experimental procedures that are not approved by the FDA, I would assume a government program would follow the need for FDA approval
True, however, if the government health care delivery system gets carried away one can lobby the government, create bad publicity, contact one's congress critter, raise total hell and get results. With the private sector there is no lobbying, bad publicity will work but only those who make it that far up the journalistic chain.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
How much are you willing to send them? Start a fund drive right here on CD...100 generous people to give $1000...that's all it would take. Or, break it down anyway you want...still, it's better than just whining for no purpose.

Is that the only response you have to any health related thread?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
All medical treatment goes through trial phases, and therefore at some stage or the other was deemed experimental.

I'm just not quite sure why people want to nit-pick the details of every story like this that is posted. Is it to glorify the wonder of our current health care system? It would seem that every time one of the posters on C-D who works within health care posts about the dire situation the system is in, people spin in circles trying to disprove everything posted. Yeah sure UHC is not without faults, but unless you are faced with the current system day in and day out, you have no idea how many people are struggling to get the needs of their loved ones taken care of. I have seen a 12 year-old girl die because she had exhausted her insurance, and the families assests were too great for eligibility to Medicare. While trying to free up assets, she died. I could go on and on. But let's just pretend everything is fantastic the way it is, and all the medical folks posting are making stuff up.
Yes, all treatments go through trial phases, (I know this very well as an individual waiting for FDA approval on a drug put out by CTIC), but nothing says YOU are entitled to be included in such trials (or the 5 year old boy). NOTHING..

They are CLOSED experiements, controlled, only open to a few.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I couldnt decide from your response, is this a yes, or a no, to your willingness to put your money where your mouth is?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:35 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:

Now isn't it sad one would even have to hold a fundraiser for medical treatment in this country. Had he been born in any other industrialized country (remember, we're the only industrialized country without universal health care), he'd have his treatment already, especially if he had been born in France.

France At Forefront Of Free, Innovative Cancer Care : NPR

Too bad he wasn't.

I'm all for donating. I just find it sad one would even have to hold a fundraiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Two treatments for $110,000 his parents should pay for that in a Republican World, working for minimum wage at Slave Mart.

So where is the outrage, why aren't Americans out in the streets about this?
Stockholm syndrome?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, all treatments go through trial phases, (I know this very well as an individual waiting for FDA approval on a drug put out by CTIC), but nothing says YOU are entitled to be included in such trials. NOTHING..

They are CLOSED experiements, controlled, only open to a few, and nothing states that this kid, or any other individual should be entitlted to be included in any experiement..
You are completely missing the point. The insurer had previously approved an "experimental" treatment for this child, but when he relapsed a year later, they wouldn't cover the new treatment because it was "experimental".

Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:

I'm tired of hearing some of you scream at the top of your lungs while failing to act. You say 'the free market would let this child die.' YOU are the free market. You say the insurance company is heartless and cruel while you sit there typing on your laptops with high speed connections. Hypocrites.

So you don't have $1000....I get it....times are tough all around. Do you have $10? Can you give up your expensive cable/phone/internet connection for a few months and send this family a few hundred dollars to save their son's life?

I'm challenging you all to put your money where your big fat mouths are....if you do nothing you are just as guilty as the insurance companies you rail against.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
I'm tired of hearing some of you scream at the top of your lungs while failing to act. You say 'the free market would let this child die.' YOU are the free market. You say the insurance company is heartless and cruel while you sit there typing on your laptops with high speed connections. Hypocrites.

So you don't have $1000....I get it....times are tough all around. Do you have $10? Can you give up your expensive cable/phone/internet connection for a few months and send this family a few hundred dollars to save their son's life?

I'm challenging you all to put your money where your big fat mouths are....if you do nothing you are just as guilty as the insurance companies you rail against.
Where do we send it since you know so much?
How do you know some people aren't in a public library using the internet?
How do you know if some people have high-speed internet? I know some posters in other threads have mentioned they have dial-up.

Because of our screwed up system we'd have to hold a fundraiser every day to help people out because our free market system cares more about profits than human lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies