Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,546,382 times

Advertisements

The anti intellectuals on FOX are amplifying the sentiments of the anti intellectuals in the GOP, all of whom enjoy the support the most clueless people in the developed world.

Rachel Maddow helps bring them up to speed. Smart and pretty, she is.

"If you win the lottery, it does not disprove the existence of a recession"

Rachel Maddow Show
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Way too complicated

Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,525,335 times
The demographic of the climate change debate is interesting, more older people disbelieve it than young people. Apparently old people are not capable of believing that humans all 6 billion of us can alter climate, whereas younger people are able to understand the fairly simple science.

Also, curiously, a couple of years ago the only two groups that denied climate change were the Chinese Communists and the American Conservative.

The commies have come around leaving only the American Conservative out of those 6 billion people holding to denial.

My unscientific poll shows a corollary between those who deny Climate change and those who believe in Creation Science.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:48 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Oh please. The IPCC and the AGW fanatics are so discredited now, its not even funny.

You have AGW believers now calling for Pauchauri to resign and a "reorganization" to commence.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
The demographic of the climate change debate is interesting, more older people disbelieve it than young people. Apparently old people are not capable of believing that humans all 6 billion of us can alter climate, whereas younger people are able to understand the fairly simple science.
Yes! As was stated in her interview as well. It's no surprise that FOX viewers are older and more likely to be skeptical of climate change than younger people.

This is a good thing, one positive in an otherwise bleak picture of denial backed by corporate petro dollars and large stacks of cash to spend on the denial plan to rake it in before they are forced to change their ways

Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,848,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
I think you are on to something with the generational gap in regards to GW belief....only I look at it a bit differently; the older people have been around long enough to know BS when they see it, and the young are gullible enough to believe whatever BS is sold to them.
Our ability as a population to "alter climate" is infinitesimal in comparison to the Sun, volcanos, water vapor and a host of other forces. A tax will not change it, for better or worse.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Our ability as a population to "alter climate" is infinitesimal in comparison to the Sun, volcanos, water vapor and a host of other forces. A tax will not change it, for better or worse.
Quite honestly, this will work as "Exhibit A"

You confuse science with both economics and politics, and such a sweeping denial of mans role in climate change is the very root of the problem in FORCING corporations to clean up their act thru responsible legislation

Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,848,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Quite honestly, this will work as "Exhibit A"

You confuse science with both economics and politics, and such a sweeping denial of mans role in climate change is the very root of the problem in FORCING corporations to clean up their act thru responsible legislation
I am not confusing anything. Be honest, you and others believe in using taxation to force a behavior. Furthermore, even with a 180 degree turnabout this change would have extremely minimal effect in comparison to the natural forces I posted. You really believe a corporation will change anything unless there is money involved for them? Do you believe they will not just pass that taxation on to the consumer which gains you absolutely nothing in the your goal of behavior modification? If you can pass the buck on punishment down the line, what stops you from breaking the rules to begin with?
I said our role is all but inconsequential (in regards to GW/CC), and I will stand by that statement.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,320,715 times
Default Good post

Quote:
I am not confusing anything. Be honest, you and others believe in using taxation to force a behavior. Furthermore, even with a 180 degree turnabout this change would have extremely minimal effect in comparison to the natural forces I posted. You really believe a corporation will change anything unless there is money involved for them? Do you believe they will not just pass that taxation on to the consumer which gains you absolutely nothing in the your goal of behavior modification? If you can pass the buck on punishment down the line, what stops you from breaking the rules to begin with?
I said our role is all but inconsequential (in regards to GW/CC), and I will stand by that statement.
More like, to force an agenda $$$.
And my god how arrogant are these people to think they can control the environment?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,477,819 times
Quote:
I think you are on to something with the generational gap in regards to GW belief....only I look at it a bit differently; the older people have been around long enough to know BS when they see it, and the young are gullible enough to believe whatever BS is sold to them.
I look at it differently.

Older people don't care because they'll be dead by the time it matters, everyone else has to deal with the consequences. Everytime someone says "it's for the children" is garbage because most people don't actually care since this is an issue that will actually effect their children.

Let me put it this way, I've had conversations with my brother about this and health insurance. His response is "it's his [children's] problem". As a note he has 2 kids. I can't fault him, at least he's honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies