Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 02:49 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times

Advertisements

If we as a nation don’t demand that our government take actions on the crimes committed we deserve what these people continue to give us. The constitution requires that those in office be held accountable and charged with the crimes that have been committed. Those elected officials who fail to comply with this are in complicity.

I understand that Vermont Legislatures have voted 19 to 5 to impeach these men.

The Call Goes Out From Vermont: Impeach! - WSJ.com

Scoop: 11 State Legislatures Take Up Impeachment

<snip>
On Tuesday, Maine became the 11th state legislature to introduce a resolution to petition for the impeachment of President George Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. Maine joins Vermont (where the Senate has already passed such a resolution), California, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin. Already 14 state Democratic parties have not just introduced but passed resolutions supporting impeachment. So have 85 cities and towns, either by public vote, or by a vote of the local government, or both. Details are available here: Resolutions Supporting Impeachment - List of Those Passed and Introduced | ImpeachPAC
<snip>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 05:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Good Lord, aren't any Republicans gonna stand up in defense of President Bush. Surely, there's still a big number of Republicans who still look up to President Bush in wide eyed admiration and wish to God that he could be eligible for reelection in 2008, so they could vote for him yet again.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
I suspect, don't know, that the Democratic majority in Congress is not going to move forward on impeaching the President and Vice President. It may or may not be warranted, but the disruption of a standing government in a time of war, and with just less than 2 years of their term, may not be practical.

It may sound callous to speak in terms of practicality, but I can't think of politics any other way. And, the Democrats may not feel they have the nation's support for an impeachment--although it is clear the President and Vice President have seriously lost support on several fronts.

It is more likely that through continued internal and external investigations, the Administration as a whole will be held morally accountable for performance, and will be seriously disgraced at the end of their term.

Just my thoughts as I know I have not been willing to endorse the notion of impeachment even though I find the Administration's performance unconscionable.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:45 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,506,235 times
One thing of which I am certain. If the roles were reversed, the GOP would impeach in a heartbeat. They would have no more concern for the well-being of the nation now, than they did when they impeached and attempted to remove a President for a personal peccadillo, nothing to do with the operation of the nation's government. They divided the country then, they are dividing the country now, and it is all for their special interests, corporate profits and religious backers.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:50 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
I concur, and it may be because I felt we divided our country needlessly with that inappropriate impeachment that I have been loathe to repeat it when we'd have to impeach an Administration and not just a President.

And the differences in performance--well you know how widely disparate it is!

If I understand the process correctly, the states can force the Congress to seek impeachment--so it may happen, but in a different way than we have seen or experienced in previous impeachment proceedings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
One thing of which I am certain. If the roles were reversed, the GOP would impeach in a heartbeat. They would have no more concern for the well-being of the nation now, than they did when they impeached and attempted to remove a President for a personal peccadillo, nothing to do with the operation of the nation's government. They divided the country then, they are dividing the country now, and it is all for their special interests, corporate profits and religious backers.

Last edited by ontheroad; 05-31-2007 at 06:24 PM..

Old 05-31-2007, 06:22 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,506,235 times
Let me hasten to add that I am not in favor of impeachment. I actually hold out some hope that this administration will finally grow a set of cojones and admit that they made a mistake. They've got to find a way to re-deploy to the borders of Iraq and make some sort of deal with Syria and Iran to eliminate outside insurgents and arms. If they can do that, I see some possibility of hope for Iraq, and ultimately our reputation. If not, then we might as well pull completely out now, because we're bound to fail.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Good Lord, aren't any Republicans gonna stand up in defense of President Bush. Surely, there's still a big number of Republicans who still look up to President Bush in wide eyed admiration and wish to God that he could be eligible for reelection in 2008, so they could vote for him yet again.
No, no, no. The Right Wing Noise Machine is busy turning Fred "I'm Not Really a Tough Guy But I Play One on TV" Thompson into the 2nd coming of St. Ronnie.

Got that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies