Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The American people are FIRMLY on the side of the GOP, as ALL the polls show, as the last three wonderful elections have shown - NJ, VA and last but not least, the seat the The Swimmer held for 46 years in Mass.
You're forgetting about the 23rd Congressional District of New York. That one didn't go so well for Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
Excuuuuuuusssssssssee Meeeeeeeeeee!
Are you prepared to support your assertion that simetime needs to be prepared to support his assertion?

Well????????????

I am now calling on you to provide support for your assertion!

Don't make me call the assertion police
Call 'em then.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,218,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You believe our federal government should be the same size that it was in 1776?
There wasn't really a federal government in 1776. We hadn't really even become our own country until 1783 when the revolutionary war ended. The constitution didn't really come into effect until 1788. And the US military in 1788 was pretty pathetic. We didn't really have an effective military until after the Barbary wars.

I would advocate going back to Jeffersonian Democracy.

Jeffersonian democracy: Definition from Answers.com

Thomas Jefferson was absolutely brilliant. It bothers me that many people just flat-out ignore him because he owned slaves. Somehow George Washington, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln are consistently ranked above Thomas Jefferson on the greatest presidents list. And while I believe George Washington was a good man, and a great general. He wasn't a great president. FDR absolutely trashed, spit, and pissed all over the constitution, and half the legislation he passed was later deemed unconstitutional. And Abraham Lincoln would have been a foot-note in history if it hadn't been for him bringing this country into the most devastating war in our history. If Abraham Lincoln had not won the presidency, there never would have been a Civil War. And before you say anything about slavery. Do you really believe there would still be slavery in America today? Get over yourselves. It was dying in the South long before the Civil War, and would have died on its own. And the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans could have been avoided.

These are the words of Robert E. Lee, who would have been the commander of the United States military had he not resigned his commission.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/leepierce.htm

"When President John F. Kennedy welcomed 49 Nobel Prize winners to the White House in 1962 he said, "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House – with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

Last edited by Redshadowz; 02-26-2010 at 09:24 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it's because they're not "extremely liberal states".
Then please explain to me which states are liberal. And if the majority of the citizens of this country want health. Then why isn't there a majority of US states that already have healthcare? What is stopping them?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Then please explain to me which states are liberal.
Conservatives outnumber liberals in every state - even in states like Vermont and Massachusetts - so I don't think there really are any truly liberal states in the U.S.

Ideology: Three Deep South States Are the Most Conservative

Quote:
And if the majority of the citizens of this country want health. Then why isn't there a majority of US states that already have healthcare? What is stopping them?
I don't know. Why doesn't each state establish its own Medicare system too? I imagine the cost has something to do with it.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Why doesn't each state establish its own Medicare system too? I imagine the cost has something to do with it.
Why? If government healthcare is more efficient, then why would cost be such a problem?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Why? If government healthcare is more efficient, then why would cost be such a problem?
Because it's not "government healthcare". Most doctors who accept Medicare aren't public employees. They're not working for the government. They are in private practices. The same will be true with the current health care bills.

The only "government health care" in this country that I know of is the Veterans Administration hospitals and military hospitals. Most veterans think the care they're getting through the VA system is good.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Because it's not "government healthcare". Most doctors who accept Medicare aren't public employees. They're not working for the government. They are in private practices. The same will be true with the current health care bills.

The only "government health care" in this country that I know of is the Veterans Administration hospitals and military hospitals. Most veterans think the care they're getting through the VA system is good.

You aren't making a case for why states cannot provide their own medicare. And you aren't making a case for why it would be more expensive if the states did-so. There is absolutely no reason for the federal government to even have a medicare system, the states could have ran their own systems. Just like the states could run their own public-option or single-payer style healthcare systems today.

The ultimate question is, why then do they choose not to? What is the problem? Why are there so many states who tend to elect democrats almost religiously, but still don't have their own healthcare plans?

I know the answer, but does anyone else?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Quote:
Physician, heal thyself.

That's not true. In fact, Democrats have incorporated lots of Republican ideas into their bills. Read it and weep, my friend!

Republican Ideas Included in the President's Proposal | The White House

The six Republican ideas already in the health-care reform bill
That is what we call contradicting yourself isn't.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:35 PM

805 posts, read 774,590 times
Quote:
You're forgetting about the 23rd Congressional District of New York. That one didn't go so well for Republicans.
An unknown accountant,
with no Organization,
no Money,
running against the "appointed" RINO,
with less than two months to mount a word-of-mouth campaign based on his Conservative Principles!
Is successful in marginalizing the "liberal" Republican and forcing her out of the race, only to have her throw her support to the democrat????

Despite the fact that he's within the margin of victory the RNC pretends he doesn't exist and provides zero support!?
This unknown accountant,
a citizen who answered the call to public duty because he saw his district unrepresented/misrepresented.
Comes within a recount of Victory!

Yeah, "That one didn't go so well for Republicans."
but it sure as hell spoke volumes to us Conservatives!

I know it's winter but get in the shade sometimes, UFO! I worry about you!

America as simple and as great as a citizen who answers the call!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies