Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Guess I'll quote myself again for the slow. Reading and comprehension is very fundamental people. Ovcatto, you're going to have to start putting in disclaimers like "This thread is about all of the ignorant threads on the board about Black people. Please just don't read the title and run with it."
Won't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Black culture is indeed American culture. I see quite a few people talking about hip hop. Do you realize that more white kids purchase hip hop than black people. When I went to Australia, many of the white kids there were fascinated by Hip Hop and yes it is associated with African Americans, but the key point is, American, its not associated with people from Africa. To me hip hop is just as American as country music and Country music is normally only associated with White Americans. Either way, its still American culture.
Of course white kids purchase more hip hop because white kids outnumber black kids probably 8 to 1. You also don't see these white hip hop kids getting the good jobs in this country either. I don't consider country music or hip hop as part of the American culture. Besides we're talking economics, not entertainment. The dress, the speech, the respect, and the demeanor of the American culture is generally what will allow an individual to participate, to the fullest, in this economy.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Of course white kids purchase more hip hop because white kids outnumber black kids probably 8 to 1. You also don't see these white hip hop kids getting the good jobs in this country either. I don't consider country music or hip hop as part of the American culture.
Whose culture is it then?

Quote:
Besides we're talking economics, not entertainment. The dress, the speech, the respect, and the demeanor of the American culture is generally what will allow an individual to participate, to the fullest, in this economy.
Yes, in a purely corporate and cultural sense, you are right, but you cannot assume that hip-hop fans are intrinsically anti-American or even anti-corporate American. The lyrical and cultural themes and motifs in much hip hop are in their way just as pro-business, corporatist and even conservative as stuff you'd see on Fox Business Channel. I force my kids to watch that channel on a daily basis, but I am also a huge hip-hop fan from the first generation (1979, etc), and so are they. We are quintessentially American.

You also know that hip-hop (and country for that matter) are huge businesses in this American and world economy.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Whose culture is it then?

Yes, in a purely corporate and cultural sense, you are right, but you cannot assume that hip-hop fans are intrinsically anti-American or even anti-corporate American. The lyrical and cultural themes and motifs in much hip hop are in their way just as pro-business, corporatist and even conservative as stuff you'd see on Fox Business Channel. I force my kids to watch that channel on a daily basis, but I am also a huge hip-hop fan from the first generation (1979, etc), and so are they. We are quintessentially American.

You also know that hip-hop (and country for that matter) are huge businesses in this American and world economy.
I didn't say that those who participate in the black culture are anti-American or anti-corporate. I'm just saying, in general, to become fiscally successful one must conform to the American culture, which means abiding by a particular set of "rules", fair or not.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that those who participate in the black culture are anti-American or anti-corporate. I'm just saying, in general, to become fiscally successful one must conform to the American culture, which means abiding by a particular set of "rules", fair or not.

And I'm just saying that you equate conforming to the "rules" with not being part of the hip-hop culture, and there is where you are wrong.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 PM

105 posts, read 201,468 times
Default WE have a bigger issue here

It is no more about WE BLACKS WERE SLAVES, WE ALL ARE SLAVES!!!! to the government. Forget about the money, there isn't going to be anymore handout. It doesn't matter what color you are or who you are, if you are not part of capital hill, you are part of a cattle. Move along, move along to the camps. Just because it happened in Germany don't think it couldn't happened here. I pray it doesn't I don't agree with this African American crap, or Italian American.

I have one for me I am a Human American from Earth. Throw the bums out in 2010.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
And I'm just saying that you equate conforming to the "rules" with not being part of the hip-hop culture, and there is where you are wrong.
That's absolutely correct. The hip-hop culture is not conducive to succeeding financially, generally speaking.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
That's absolutely correct. The hip-hop culture is not conducive to succeeding financially, generally speaking.
Actually, there is no correlation between the two. You are comparing apples and pine cones.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Actually, there is no correlation between the two. You are comparing apples and pine cones.
Exactly. Those engaging in the hip-hop culture are outside of the American culture and generally will no succeed financially.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,312 times
One other thing...."we" want blacks to do this or that kind of title for this thread is terrible and shows that you need other people to assimilate to "your" ways instead of accepting people for who they are and the positives they can bring to the table...I'm a white/Italian dude and i would be mad if someone from another race came off like that in a title against my people so just think about that when you hear all those people that u don't like who say this or that about your own race because that is how you sound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies