Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
Let the religion brainwashing begin.

Homeschooling does NOT = "religion brainwashing

What a foolish statement on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,278,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
The UK is a VERY tolerant country.

And the majority of Britons are very happy that gun ownership is limited - in fact free gun ownership is seen as one of the biggest downsides to American society by much of the rest of the world.

If you're trying to use an extremist and intolerant talk show host as a touchstone for demonstrating UK "intolerance" you're getting your issues rather tangled - wouldn't you say?
Actually, you helped me make my own case. Gun control is absolute in the UK. VERY intolerant country. The fact that the majority like or don't like it is irrelevant as its a fundamental property right. If the majority didn't want gays to marry, would you agree with that?

Unlike you, I'm not biased about my country. The Swiss are even better at gun rights than the US, and even the Czechs when it comes to concealed carry laws.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not trust homeschooling to provide a balanced education needed for success in today's environment.
Many top Colleges and Universities are seeking out Home Schooled Students because of their high level of academics and academic training.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,249 times
I'm not a proponent of homeschooling. But home schooled kids are some of the smartest kids I've ever met. They respect adults, they are polite and mature. Sometimes awkward. But overall I've been impressed with their smarts and behavior.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:03 AM

How a country deals with the minority belief says a lot about them. True, America is not very accommodating for allowing gays to form civil unions. But, America as a republic MOSTLY represents the minority. Pure democracy basically demonizes the minority as "loony malcontents" whose opinions or actions are not welcomed. This is what happened in the UK with the citizen mob wanting to ban guns. It happened literally overnight and they showed what they really think about those "miserable malcontents"

Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I'm not a proponent of homeschooling. But home schooled kids are some of the smartest kids I've ever met. They respect adults, they are polite and mature. Sometimes awkward. But overall I've been impressed with their smarts and behavior.
This is very true. I've also known MANY atheist and agnostic homeschoolers around these parts, even ones who make fun of Christians. They do it merely as a logical decision to avoid having their kids a part of the sex and drugs.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Actually, you helped me make my own case. Gun control is absolute in the UK. VERY intolerant country. The fact that the majority like or don't like it is irrelevant. If the majority didn't want gays to marry, would you agree with that?
Gun control is not absolute. People in the UK are allowed guns if they can demonstrate that they have a good reason for owning a gun (farmers for vermin control is one example) and if they have no criminal record.

You are basing your opinion on the UK's "tolerance" level solely on firearm ownership laws and public incitation laws - I'm not sure why.

Much as you clearly love and worship your right to bear arms you do need to understand that not everyone in other countries feels the same way as you.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Gun control is not absolute. People in the UK are allowed guns if they can demonstrate that they have a good reason for owning a gun (farmers for vermin control is one example) and if they have no criminal record.
So, a suburbanite may own one to protect his/her family?

Quote:
You are basing your opinion on the UK's "tolerance" level solely on firearm ownership laws and public incitation laws - I'm not sure why.
These are tenets of a free society.

Quote:
Much as you clearly love and worship your right to bear arms you do need to understand that not everyone in other countries feels the same way as you.
I merely see it as a worship of freedom of private property ownership. England may rule the people the way they wish, but they are not immune from criticisms of intolerance. Sorry, the UK is quite intolerant of folks who disagree with the way they run things.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:12 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Homeschooling does NOT = "religion brainwashing
What a foolish statement on your part.
In this case it is a fundamental evangelical family, so yes, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Many top Colleges and Universities are seeking out Home Schooled Students because of their high level of academics and academic training.
Really now? Would you please provide us with a link to prove that statement please? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
This is very true. I've also known MANY atheist and agnostic homeschoolers around these parts, even ones who make fun of Christians. They do it merely as a logical decision to avoid having their kids a part of the sex and drugs.
I have known a few agnostic homeschooling families, and some evangelicals as well, there is a tremendous difference between the two. But the bottom line is, the agnostic kids have an easier time after school moving into normal society.
The fundamentalist kids that I've known have been frightened and close minded about the world around them, talk about crushing their potential.

And your "logical decision" implies that the sex and drug avoidance is the supposed link between the two strange bedfellows on homeschooling here is very terribly weak at best.
The agnostic homeschoolers have the parents who have an overblown sense of their own intelligence and a disdain for the public school system that is not "good enough" for their precious offspring.
The fundamentals are the ones who like to shield their kids, and rightly so, to a point, but to post such a thing is to imply that the rest of us who choose to send our kids to public school as a tacit agreement to expose our kids to drugs and sex early on in their lives?!!
And that is patently absurd and untrue.

~When you cast your eyes upon the skylines of this once proud nation Can you sense the fear and the hatred growing in the hearts of its population?The beaten generation, reared on a diet of prejudice and misinformation. Open you eyes, open your imagination.~

Old 03-03-2010, 11:45 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Hm, I was not happy in Britain for various reasons, but intolerance was certainly not one of them. Britain seemed like a very tolerant country to me, within Europe probably the most open-minded place.

Anyway, those Romeikes should not settle down yet, I assume they will be sent back sooner or later. And rightly so. They are exactly the kind of people I don't think should homeschool their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies