Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:03 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
There are a lot of things that kill brain and body. Ideally, perfectly healthy people who have never smoked, done drugs, etc. die every day. So what's your point(s). Or should I just chalk you up as "perfectly healthy"?
I always get a kick out of people like you: "What's the point?" The disingenuous nature of a question like that makes me difficult to answer in the first place.

Yes there are plenty of things that can destroy the brain and body (we only get one shot at this that I'm aware of.) Everybody will also die, there is no getting out of that. The long term (medical) savings by Americans taking care of themselves would be substantial. The quality of life by eliminating crap from out diets would also be substantial. Healthy Americans are productive Americans, that statistically have a longer and happier life. I would prefer to eliminate as much garbage going into my body as I can. I'm not sure why you get upset by that; I'm also well aware that there is no guarantee of anything in life.

I'd imagine you also have a strong disdain for seatbelts? What about tickets from people not wearing them? Is this also something horrible? Sadly, most people only learn when they are hit in their pocketbooks. Tax the garbage and hopefully it will bring about change on many different levels. Either way I expect nothing less from the crybabies in this nation. They cry about our deficit, but on the other hand cry about taxes. I suppose they think selling girl scout cookies will pay it all down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
One day we'll all be eating nothing but vitamin fortified, government sanctioned, gruel: cause that's all that will be left that the government hasn't banned.

Soylent green anyone?

Old 03-12-2010, 06:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
One day we'll all be eating nothing but vitamin fortified, government sanctioned, gruel: cause that's all that will be left that the government hasn't banned.

Soylent green anyone?
Definitely on the horizon. Just look at what we have today - hormone laced milk, GMO crops, cloned animals, chemical flavorings and mutant fruit. And add to that heavy metal industrial waste imported from China under the guise of food additives.

Food shopping for non-contaminated items (yes that's what I consider them) is becoming a challenge these days.

Yum ?

Old 03-12-2010, 06:26 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Why tax sugared foods? If the goal is to reduce the demand on foods that have too much sugar, then why not abolish government subsidies on sugar? If food companies would pay for the true cost (whatever that is, I'm being lazy at the moment and did not research it) of sugar, then may be they wouldn't use so much or use substitutes.

However (cynical, unsubstantiated statement alert!!!), I'm afraid the actual goal is to separate the consumer from his money while the government and sugar industry still get theirs.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:44 AM

Geofra, the subsidy is on corn, not sugar. Sugar in food is better than corn in food for sweetener.
The body can digest sugar better than corn.

HFCS (corn derived) is cheaper than sugar thanks to subsidies. It's not only sugar; HFCS is a sweetner substitute and replaces a lot more than corn.

Example: Next time you shop take a good look at that Aunt Jemima "syrup". It's not maple syrup like you may think. Do you see the word "maple" on the label at all ?
It's a bottle full of HFCS and chemical flavoring

Now study that shelf..see that the products that are HFCS based do not have the word "maple" in their product. Look at the price..very cheap.
Now look for the smaller bottles of "maple syrup" (Maple Grove Farms is one) and their price...more expensive.
Look at their labels....100% pure maple syrup.
Now look at Aunt Jemima label....a laundry list of chemicals and HFCS.

WAKE UP PEOPLE...you're being fattened just like cattle at the slaughter house !!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 AM

Now..did you know that soft drinks in Canada and Mexico are still made with sugar and NOT HFCS ?

Just trying to wake some folks up..this tax is not going to solve your problems. HFCS is all throughout our food..ice cream, breakfast cereal, juice drinks, ice tea, lemonade, most pre-processed food. And you think taxing soda will fix this ?

Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'm all for junk food taxes.
why

why would you want more government intervention into your life

why right does the government have to tax or limit any food

where does it stop

Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Me too. Sugar is a killer for both brain and body.
sugar is a killer?????? so you are saying fruits are killers.??????loaded with sugar......................are you saying breads and carbs are killers?????? carbs become sugars..

sugar is not a killer for the brain and body

ANYTHING in excess is a killer, moderation is good

Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
It's funny that you're trusting that the same government that has helped promote all this crap will now 'fix' it for you and the only way to fix it is to tax it beyond your capability to afford it
Makes it pretty obvious why a Just Say No approach won't work, regardless the subject

Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 AM

Take away the corn subsidy and you'll get back your sugar. IT IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies