Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:18 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,728,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I got out Sept 28, "64... When did the base pay double? I was making $104.00 a month as an E-4... We did get a small raise, I think it was in "63..

And yes all Soldiers in a combat zone should be paid extra for it...
I think it was 1 Oct 64, I was an E-5 then . You must have been in Vietnam early. I did a 90 day there in 63 but no full tours until 66
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
I may have misstated my pay. I think it totaled about $200 per month with the bonus. Still damn cheap even for 1966. I was actually paid more in 1970 when I used the college bennies. I think those were $225 per month and did not include tuition, books or room & board. Compared to WW2 Vets we were screwed.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
Every soldier that makes it home from a war should automatically get a bonus check of $50,000 just for touching foot back on their homeland. And this bonus should be given upon each return from deployment.

3 tours = $150,000 in bonus checks.
4 tours = $200,000 in bonus checks

simple solution.

It's better than allowing Obama to p.iss it away on his banker buddies and Acorn cronies.
You know, these guys knowingly join the military full aware of benefits and payments.
They get what they get.
They're not protecting the US and "our way of life" - they're killing people in sovereign nations that don't want us there. They're making money for Halliburton and corporations.

This is all a matter of choice; there is no forced draft.

If they didn't want the job at the rates paid, they should look for work elsewhere. They're not sacred cows.

BTW, have any idea what Bush did, besides send these kids in for a fools job in the middle east because "he [Saddam] tried to kill my daddy."

Might get your facts straight before you look foolish.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We have a population and a military deeply seperated by income class. The enlisted are generally from the working classes and the officers from the college educated. I, as a volunteer for both the Navy and the Riverine Forces, prefer a conscript military without all the deferments and special considerations that allowed so many to avoid serving. We really need to be one country, one military with equal service for all. I consider it part of a person's duty as a citizen.

There, is that liberal enough for you?
Well said, I think most people wouldn't mind serving if this were the case but there is a class system in the military as you pointed out. Everyone should serve and if that means retroactively, I would do so. I think people want it to be fair and not have special considerations or exceptions applied ie George Bush serving in a country club air force reserves base in Texas alongside children of politicians and the wealthy. I also think our decisions to go to war will be decided much different when the politicians own children are fighting in the war. If you examine the statistics, over 90% of congress do not have immediate family (parents, children or spouses) actively serving in the military.

The concept is pretty simple: it's the principle! Let's take care of those who are sacrificing the most and taking the most risk to protect us.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:20 AM

These people are "sacrificing the most" for a stupid war because they choose to.
This is the job that they wanted to have, and took it.
Why is this job any more special than any other?

Old 03-16-2010, 07:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
These people are "sacrificing the most" for a stupid war because they choose to.
This is the job that they wanted to have, and took it.
Why is this job any more special than any other?
and how can you really been so cold about those who are serving our country? You may not like what is going on, you may believe the war is wrong, that is your choice, but to think anyone who puts themselves in harms way for what they believe in doesn't deserve something special is unbelievable to me..

Nita

Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,728,742 times
Now we are on dangerous ground. As a career grunt I think I can get into the middle here.
I never needed to wrap myself in the flag or champion Ma and Apple Pie in order to go do my job in some weird country. That's the job, if you choose it.
At the same time, it is a special job. You are risking your life for your country and it isn't going to an office making phone calls (unless you are a recruiter). Even in peacetime the toys they play with can kill you dead.
Every day I am surrounded by outstanding young men and women who have chosen a job I loved when I was young enough. I can't help but be proud of them

Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and how can you really been so cold about those who are serving our country? You may not like what is going on, you may believe the war is wrong, that is your choice, but to think anyone who puts themselves in harms way for what they believe in doesn't deserve something special is unbelievable to me..

Nita
It's a choice they make.
No one is forcing them to take the job.
I don't consider them special - and I'm a vet.
They know the pay and the danger.

What do I think of people joining now?
Not much for whatever reason.
They're joining during a time of war when it's kill or be killed.
They're not protecting the US; they're attacking sovereign nations.
They're paid mercinaries. They fight watever people in whatever country that US interests want them to fight in.
And that's the life they chose.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-16-2010 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,719,563 times
Military service at this point in time, is all voluntary service.

There is no forced mandatory draft. If we get involved in a big bad ass war, which could very well happen with China, it would be a smart thing. The way the ball is running on our loan shark, you will absolutely see a mandatory draft, if the sh*t hits the fan.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
FWIW - I think soldiers should be presented their personal weapons when they leave the military. I would have cherished my shotgun and 1911 Colt. Not to mention the Browning M-2 machine gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies