Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So yeah, assume all you want about little bitty 19 year olds.
then you might want to move up a couple of postings where hnsq was written off for ONLY being 24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,647,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
then you might want to move up a couple of postings where hnsq was written off for ONLY being 24

I'm only 26, so I know how that feels.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:41 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,796,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
1. How much money/time have you given to charity in the last year?

2. Do you understand the difference between moral and legal responsibilities?

Health care is a moral problem, not a legal or political one. I give a lot of my time and money to my local community.

Please actually answer the two questions I asked here, don't dodge answering!
Hmm....considering I make about $8,000 (I'm sure it will be less this year since I'm working less hours than I'm used to...) a year...I'd say I've given about $750 in terms of money to charity. I'm slowly giving more each year.

As for time...not much. I serve on a few boards of some organizations, I tutor little kids...little stuff. I'd love to do more but I'm a huge procrastinator with my school work so I'm always feeling stressed.

Not everyone feels we should just give through charity and hope it all turns all right. We can very easily afford a single-payer system. We can end the wars and raise taxes on the wealthy as a start. I hate how some game the system and claim the money they made off of stocks as "income" so it will be taxed at a lower rates.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Katiana - it IS embarissing that I have to lecture someone older than me about responsibility.

Don't tell me just because I am young that I don't know anything. I am 24 years old and have put myself through college, have a full time job, have bought a house, and am currently going to grad school at night. My life isn't exactly easy, and I have not recieved handouts from ANYONE for anything I have done.

Life is an uphill battle - deal with it!
You have nothing to tell me about responsibility, bub! I'm not going to tell you my life story, either. Unlike some on this forum, I don't get my kicks out of bragging about how hard I've had it, but also unlike some, I've had to deal with some difficult situations, and big surprise! I've never received a "handout" either.

I think people who need health care and can't afford it should not have to rely on the generosity of others to get it. There needs to be a system in plance so that ALL who need it can get it.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,508,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Hmm....considering I make about $8,000 .
do you mean 8k a month????

purple what do you do.......the last time I made 8k (annually) I was 17 years old working at a white castle...and that was 32 something years ago

Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
do you mean 8k a month????

purple what do you do.......the last time I made 8k (annually) I was 17 years old working at a white castle...and that was 32 something years ago
No, 8K a year. It will actually be less than that on next year's taxes.
I am a 19 year old college student and I work part-time (20 hrs a week).
I'm still living my parents and my mom refuses to let me work full time, plus it's really hard to find an employer willing to work with my school schedule.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,155,264 times
Quote:
And the problem with "you guys" is you think your mother in law would still receive those procedures after the medicare budget is cut by $500 BILLION

I'm not a Liberal...or a Republican ....or a Democrat.

But I think "my mother or mother-in-law" should have access and receive the best quality care available. They both worked extremely hard their whole lives and paid the Federal government a ton's worth of cash......in taxes.

While our Congress, our Presidents, our Administrations have spent decade after decade carelessly pissing the money away on bullsh*t and lining the pockets of their Corporate masters and Special Interest groups..

Furthermore, when Congress and Senators all over the country are giving themselves nice raises and are card-carrying Gold Medical Care members; all on our tax money.

Now, I'm not at all encouraged or an advocate of the so-called "Health Care " reforms that have been submitted. I haven't read tghe most current version, but did read the prior version.

The problem I see is, that it's not a reform. The Insurance companys (who are nothing, if they are not synonymous with the Banking/Financial industry) and the big Pharmaceutical companies are still being catered to, appeased and unregulated. And that's exactly what got us into the pathetic state of healthcare, we're in now.

But I want to see a real reform and a real comprehensive coverage plan for all Americans. A plan as comprehensive and as high of a quality; as our Gold Card Congressmen/women.

If those crooks have it, the American people have to have it, too.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
I'm not a Liberal...or a Republican ....or a Democrat.

But I think "my mother or mother-in-law" should have access and receive the best quality care available. They both worked extremely hard their whole lives and paid the Federal government a ton's worth of cash......in taxes.

While our Congress, our Presidents, our Administrations have spent decade after decade carelessly pissing the money away on bullsh*t and lining the pockets of their Corporate masters and Special Interest groups..

Furthermore, when Congress and Senators all over the country are giving themselves nice raises and are card-carrying Gold Medical Care members; all on our tax money.

Now, I'm not at all encouraged or an advocate of the so-called "Health Care " reforms that have been submitted. I haven't read tghe most current version, but did read the prior version.

The problem I see is, that it's not a reform. The Insurance companys (who are nothing, if they are not synonymous with the Banking/Financial industry) and the big Pharmaceutical companies are still being catered to, appeased and unregulated. And that's exactly what got us into the pathetic state of healthcare, we're in now.

But I want to see a real reform and a real comprehensive coverage plan for all Americans. A plan as comprehensive and as high of a quality; as our Gold Card Congressmen/women.

If those crooks have it, the American people have to have it, too.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
you just described THIS bill EXACTLY...

Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,214,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh, right, public message board.....

I was just saying that you can't say all 19 year olds are uninformed or have experienced nothing in life.
Sorry, I wasn't clear...I didn't mean all 19 year olds, just the one I was talking to.

Quote:
A lot has happened to me since I started supporting myself financially at 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Hmm....considering I make about $8,000 (I'm sure it will be less this year since I'm working less hours than I'm used to...) a year...I'd say I've given about $750 in terms of money to charity. I'm slowly giving more each year.

As for time...not much. I serve on a few boards of some organizations, I tutor little kids...little stuff. I'd love to do more but I'm a huge procrastinator with my school work so I'm always feeling stressed.

Not everyone feels we should just give through charity and hope it all turns all right. We can very easily afford a single-payer system. We can end the wars and raise taxes on the wealthy as a start. I hate how some game the system and claim the money they made off of stocks as "income" so it will be taxed at a lower rates.
Again, since you avoided my second question I will ask it - do you know the difference between a moral and legal obligation?

We agree that people have a moral obligation to help others, but I do not think we have a legal one. Please address this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You have nothing to tell me about responsibility, bub! I'm not going to tell you my life story, either. Unlike some on this forum, I don't get my kicks out of bragging about how hard I've had it, but also unlike some, I've had to deal with some difficult situations, and big surprise! I've never received a "handout" either.

I think people who need health care and can't afford it should not have to rely on the generosity of others to get it. There needs to be a system in plance so that ALL who need it can get it.
I don't "get my kicks" from bragging. I was trying to explain a point, which apparently you missed completely.

You say there needs to be a system in place - on what grounds? What is the justification for what you are saying, beyond you 'feeling bad' for them? Laws and policies should be based on facts, not emotions.

And furthermore, we have a lack of affordable health care because of a lack of competition in the insurance industry. If we did away with the excessive governmenal regulation, we would have more private sector cometition which would in turn lower prices. When the government tries to regulate a free market economy everyone loses, as we have clearly seen in the past few years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies