Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:34 AM

558 posts, read 818,986 times

Advertisements

What do you think of the story below? Does it upset you that the officer wasn't charged with battery or some sort of abuse? Do you think there's a place for lex talionis in the modern world?

Sheriff's Lieutenant Rips Grill, Teeth Out of Man's Mouth - NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 03:49 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
She, Lieutenant Tanya Mayhew, told him to put his head back (which he did). She then put on latex gloves and reached into his mouth (he didn't fight her), and then yanked the grill off his teeth. Most gold in teeth aren't attached by dental cement. They're slipped onto the teeth. She probably thought this was the same way as the others. Usually they easily slip out for teeth cleaning at home. She was demoted and suspended.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:44 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Do people actually think that crap looks good on their teeth? Blah!! Looks stupid.

Anyway she should have asked him if they were permanent before yanking. Also I am unsure how strong dental cement is but she must have been one strong chick.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
What do you think of the story below? Does it upset you that the officer wasn't charged with battery or some sort of abuse? Do you think there's a place for lex talionis in the modern world?

Sheriff's Lieutenant Rips Grill, Teeth Out of Man's Mouth - NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee -
Poor Lex Talionis, wasnt he a dancer in the first West Side Story? And now look

Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
She deserved her descipline, a dentist should have been called; usually there is one one call if not on duty, depending upon the size of that sheriffs department.

You never ever force something off of or onto the body of an inmate, relieve yourself of the liability and get the nurse to do it!!

On the few occasions I saw a partially hidden item in the rectum of an inmate and he refused to remove it, that was not a problem. Leave him in the isolation cell notify medical and when they arrive along with my supervisor, then we proceed to restrain him while the medical staff performs a medical procedure.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
She, Lieutenant Tanya Mayhew, told him to put his head back (which he did). She then put on latex gloves and reached into his mouth (he didn't fight her), and then yanked the grill off his teeth. Most gold in teeth aren't attached by dental cement. They're slipped onto the teeth. She probably thought this was the same way as the others. Usually they easily slip out for teeth cleaning at home. She was demoted and suspended.
It's tough to QB without being there, but my first throught was that the guy would be in a lot more trouble if he hadn't complied, which might be why he did comply. Maybe not in this situation specifically (since we don't have all the details), but I was wondering what our rights/recourse were for situations of clear abuse, where you know that not complying may well land you with a heap of other charges.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
She deserved her descipline, a dentist should have been called; usually there is one one call if not on duty, depending upon the size of that sheriffs department.

You never ever force something off of or onto the body of an inmate, relieve yourself of the liability and get the nurse to do it!!

On the few occasions I saw a partially hidden item in the rectum of an inmate and he refused to remove it, that was not a problem. Leave him in the isolation cell notify medical and when they arrive along with my supervisor, then we proceed to restrain him while the medical staff performs a medical procedure.
This sounds like a more professional way of doing things that's better for everyone involved.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
Are you suggesting her punishment for being an idiot should be to have a couple teeth yanked?

Hmmm. While one part of me thinks that would indeed be fitting as I have little sympathy for stupidity, the civilized part prevails and says that's a bit over the top. Beside that, I'd imagine grill-man probably has more use for the cash than revenge. If it were to happen to me we'd be adding a couple zeros. Of course I don't have a grill so that's pretty unlikely.

It's hard for me to be sympathetic for the guy because he was in jail for not taking care of his kid(s) so in some odd way it could be a sort of karmic payback. The guy could pay for the grill but not his kid after all. Not having any real details beyond the news story, it would seem to be a good example of what happens when two morons collide.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Are you suggesting her punishment for being an idiot should be to have a couple teeth yanked?

Hmmm. While one part of me thinks that would indeed be fitting as I have little sympathy for stupidity, the civilized part prevails and says that's a bit over the top. Beside that, I'd imagine grill-man probably has more use for the cash than revenge. If it were to happen to me we'd be adding a couple zeros. Of course I don't have a grill so that's pretty unlikely.

It's hard for me to be sympathetic for the guy because he was in jail for not taking care of his kid(s) so in some odd way it could be a sort of karmic payback. The guy could pay for the grill but not his kid after all. Not having any real details beyond the news story, it would seem to be a good example of what happens when two morons collide.
No, though I'm not completely opposed to the idea. The concept of retribution doesn't have to be taken literally...and it sounds like some form of it was already applied (i.e. he was give compensation from the City that the Leuitenant represented). In this case, it sounds like his child(ren) at least benefited form his misfortune.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 4,298 times
Thats what the thug gets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies