Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What a ridiculous question. Unlike right-wingers, liberals and progressives generally trust news from the mainstream media: The New York Times, USA Today, NBC News, etc. Yes, they also pay attention to Huffington Post, Daily Kos, etc., but that's different from right-wingers who don't trust any news sources except for the ones who market themselves as conservative organizations.

Conservatives seem to believe that if a news story reflects poorly on their philosophies, it must be liberally-biased. I can't imagine going through life with such a myopic view of the world.
You might as well have said you get your news from Sesame Street and reruns of the Golden Girls..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I forgot this AUM, my thread's beating your's.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've seen Liberal/Progressives here say they don't trust a news story unless they see it in The Daily Kos, Huffington Post, on MSNBC or some obscure blog. That seems like an incredible amount of trust to put into organizations that are validating their own pre-conceived beliefs. It's almost like they're part of some religious dogma.

So, what other organizations do Liberals/Progressives trust?
I'm a liberal/progressive. To answer your question when I looking for news, I trust all the major news outlets.

When it comes to news, I believe (other than commonplace human errors) all the major outlets are trustworthy: Fox, CBS, NBC, CNN, ABC, NPR, BBC, PBS, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Al Jazeera, The Denver Post, The Denver Business Journal, etc, etc, etc . They're all usually good at getting the who, what, when, and where parts right - the news parts. Yes, they're all limited in what they can actually report and make certain choices as what to cover and what to ignore, but that's why it's important to gather your news from a wide variety of sources.

As to news commentary, I tend to agree more and like to see things with a more liberal bent. I really like The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, the Mclachlan Group, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me: The NPR News Quiz - I even like Glen Beck (I find the man hilarious). I don't really read blogs regularly (well, one about development in Denver, one about the Denver Broncos, and one about issues in the gay community).

I think you're more referring to things like the coverage on FoxNews vs MSNBC. Both networks are about 98% news commentary. I don't trust either of them to provide news, let alone a fair balanced approach to presenting it.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
I've seen Liberal/Progressives here say they don't trust a news story unless they see it in The Daily Kos, Huffington Post, on MSNBC or some obscure blog. That seems like an incredible amount of trust to put into organizations that are validating their own pre-conceived beliefs. It's almost like they're part of some religious dogma.

So, what other organizations do Liberals/Progressives trust?

CBC, BBC, PBS, NPR

I tend to stay away from Cable News as it tends to overplay minor issues and non-issues (mainly to fit having something to say 24/7) and too many of the people on it tend to think of themselves as the news.

Local News is fine for local issues, but they too, spend too much time with non-news.

For commentary, I think Comedy Central does a far better job with the Daily Show & Colbert Report then Cable News (MSNBC,FOX,CNN,HLN).

60 Minutes and the Sunday Morning network shows, are probably the only time I turn on anything other then CBC/BBC/PRS on TV.

Last edited by plannine; 03-21-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
I forgot this AUM, my thread's beating your's.
Very 3-year old behavior.
I guess it's a step up for you.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Very 3-year old behavior.
I guess it's a step up for you.

Nah, I just tend to mirror the behavior of those around me. In this case some of the folks on this forum. That means look in the mirror and review some of the infantile crap you've posted. And no, I'm not going "provide" links, I'm multi-tasking today and don't have the time.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:29 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
So much of the news is corporate owned. I don't even watch the morning news anymore. I'm hardly home in the evenings to watch the evening news but when I am home, I like to watch the PBS news.

I like Mother Jones magazine and The Progressive.
The Nation is okay but it's too small.

I check Huffington Post a lot, daily kos every now and then and I check NPR a lot when I'm at work.

I don't have cable so I get a lot of my news online.

I subscribe to this ultra liberal email newsletter I get daily. It's called Liberty Underground. To subscribe, just email:libertyuv@hotmail.com and put join in the subject line.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Nah, I just tend to mirror the behavior of those around me. In this case some of the folks on this forum. That means look in the mirror and review some of the infantile crap you've posted. And no, I'm not going "provide" links, I'm multi-tasking today and don't have the time.
hmmm.

professional trolling.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
hmmm.

professional trolling.

You dragged up a 2 1/2 year old thread.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
For news, I read the Economist and for TV news I watch the BBC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies