Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:09 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,834 times

Advertisements

Do you guys think it's fair to label sociopaths evil for killing? I think being evil means knowing where the line is based on a deeply rooted moral conscience and then crossing it. But if knowledge of a line doesn't exist, how are said murderers to be held accountable for the morality of their actions? I'm not saying that they shouldn't be locked away in prison either. Prison exists for the greater good of society, and removing those dangerous to the majority of us is necessary. However, I think calling a killer sociopath evil may be unwarranted. Sociopaths are misunderstood and normal people unfairly view them as if they have the same rationale as us. Do you guys have any opinions on this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 10:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Yes, Sociopaths are evil, not misunderstood. They cannot be "fixed" to be fit to return to decent, law abiding society. At least, not without great risk to society.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,378 times
what you label a sociopath is unrealistic since there are different types of people who fall under that broad umbrella or label. there are sociopaths who are aware of morals and cross it. the only difference between what people consider a sociopath and what one doesn't, is that sociopaths pick and choose who they care about. they may care about themself and their chosen friends and perhaps family but objectify everyone else.

to be a sociopath requires nothing but to lack empathy and it can be a choice. there is no excuse for it either.

another common misconception is that sociopaths are unfeeling like robots. that is furthest from the truth. most sociopaths read and understand people very well and they get 'under your skin' to violate and get to know people to control and victimize them. they are often THE most guilty of all which makes them even more heinous types of people.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:23 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Do you guys think it's fair to label sociopaths evil for killing? I think being evil means knowing where the line is based on a deeply rooted moral conscience and then crossing it. But if knowledge of a line doesn't exist, how are said murderers to be held accountable for the morality of their actions? I'm not saying that they shouldn't be locked away in prison either. Prison exists for the greater good of society, and removing those dangerous to the majority of us is necessary. However, I think calling a killer sociopath evil may be unwarranted. Sociopaths are misunderstood and normal people unfairly view them as if they have the same rationale as us. Do you guys have any opinions on this matter?
Sociopaths know the difference between right and wrong. I think you have your terms mixed up.

Not sure what the folks who dont know the difference are called, but they're not sociopaths.

I also think sociopaths are understood all too well.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, Sociopaths are evil, not misunderstood. They cannot be "fixed" to be fit to return to decent, law abiding society.
Very insightful...

Since I'm sure you totally understand the mind of a sociopath. I agree, they can't be fixed and if they act on their desires should be put in prison, as I said in my original post. I disagree, however, with labeling them as "evil".

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-21-2010 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 03-20-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Very insightful...

Since I'm sure you totally understand the mind of a sociopath. I agree, they can't be fixed and if they act on their desires should be put in prison, as I said in my original post. I disagree, however, with labeling them as "evil".

[MOD CUT]
i'm amazed that you have the other extreme gall to even insinuate that sociopaths are NOT evil. they are the epitomy of evil.

sociopaths are like parasites and predators who use and abuse others for thier gain and many are fully aware of it. if someone continues to do that without regard to others, that is evil.

if you want to label that something else or say that is not grounds to call something evil, then by all means do so.

but you equally have no right or more justification to say that sociopaths are not evil. that is what sociopathy is, it is not a mistake here and there. it is taking advantage and exploitation of others with full knowledge and there are people like that.

you'd have to be extremely naive or mentally dishonest to not realize that all it takes to be a sociopath is just narcissism or selfishiness. that is it.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-21-2010 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
what you label a sociopath is unrealistic since there are different types of people who fall under that broad umbrella or label. there are sociopaths who are aware of morals and cross it. the only difference between what people consider a sociopath and what one doesn't, is that sociopaths pick and choose who they care about. they may care about themself and their chosen friends and perhaps family but objectify everyone else.

to be a sociopath requires nothing but to lack empathy and it can be a choice. there is no excuse for it either.

another common misconception is that sociopaths are unfeeling like robots. that is furthest from the truth. most sociopaths read and understand people very well and they get 'under your skin' to violate and get to know people to control and victimize them. they are often THE most guilty of all which makes them even more heinous types of people.
They are aware of what WE see as morals, but they don't gain those morals from birth as we do. It's like being told slavery is the right thing, even if your gut instinct is telling you something else. Sociopaths who have empathy for someone other than themselves ARE NOT sociopaths.

Calling sociopathy a choice is just plain foolish, it's the same as calling schizophrenia a choice. You are so wrong on that one, I'm sorry.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
i'm amazed that you have the other extreme gall to even insinuate that sociopaths are NOT evil. they are the epitomy of evil.

sociopaths are like parasites and predators who use and abuse others for thier gain and many are fully aware of it. if someone continues to do that without regard to others, that is evil.

if you want to label that something else or say that is not grounds to call something evil, then by all means do so.

but you equally have no right or more justification to say that sociopaths are not evil. that is what sociopathy is, it is not a mistake here and there. it is taking advantage and exploitation of others with full knowledge and there are people like that.

you'd have to be extremely naive or mentally dishonest to not realize that all it takes to be a sociopath is just narcissism or selfishiness. that is it.
You don't seem to get it. You think it's evil because you put yourself in their position and see yourself feeling terrible about doing the things they do to people because it sounds evil. They don't get that though, they don't feel it.

The problem with sociopathy is people just refuse to emphasize with the condition and understand how it must be to have it. They can't remove their empathy feeling from it to understand the viewpoint of a sociopath.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Sociopaths who have empathy for someone other than themselves ARE NOT sociopaths.
my stepfather consistently abused me but had empathy for his own daughter. i consider him a sociopath.

no, you don't understand an iota compared to me. i know about sociopaths/psycopaths and all it takes is a lack of morals for others. it is a choice as well.

since the daughter is seen as an extension of himself, that is why he did not exploit her. that is what sociopathy is, taking advantage of whatever that is deemed outside of yourself and about self-preservation with disregard to all else.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Sociopaths know the difference between right and wrong. I think you have your terms mixed up.

Not sure what the folks who dont know the difference are called, but they're not sociopaths.

I also think sociopaths are understood all too well.
You're right, but they don't get the feeling of guilt that normal people do when they cross the line. That's what makes a sociopath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies