Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 PM

548 posts, read 1,252,077 times

Advertisements

They do exist. Why do we never hear about poor/disenfranchised whites?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
The term "white trash" comes to mind.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
They do exist. Why do we never hear about poor/disenfranchised whites?
Well, there's Marshall Mathers (Eminem).

I don't think there is as much 'sympathy' for the poor whites as there is for other ethnic groups. You can't blame slavery for the reasons that there are white people in ghettos.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Well, there's Marshall Mathers (Eminem).

I don't think there is as much 'sympathy' for the poor whites as there is for other ethnic groups. You can't blame slavery for the reasons that there are white people in ghettos.

Eminem is not the only white person from a poor hood. I live in New York and there are so many white people living in poor neighborhoods...especially white immigrants and children of immigrants.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,297 times
I grew up as a very poor white person living in low income housing. I didn't live in an inner city ghetto but many of the problems that face poor black families face poor white families. Mainly, the issue of breaking the recurrent generational trend where you end up dropping out of school, involved in petty crime or drugs, and end up pregnant as a teenager.

Similar to the poor black children, the poor white children usually lack a strong parental guiding force. Though we were very poor, my parents were tough on me and my brother and we were taught to do well in school and such. It's no coincidence my brother and I were able to break that cycle while when I go back to my home town, I can see the same families struggling, albeit the next generation.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I grew up as a very poor white person living in low income housing. I didn't live in an inner city ghetto but many of the problems that face poor black families face poor white families. Mainly, the issue of breaking the recurrent generational trend where you end up dropping out of school, involved in petty crime or drugs, and end up pregnant as a teenager.

Similar to the poor black children, the poor white children usually lack a strong parental guiding force. Though we were very poor, my parents were tough on me and my brother and we were taught to do well in school and such. It's no coincidence my brother and I were able to break that cycle while when I go back to my home town, I can see the same families struggling, albeit the next generation.

I have a number of posts on this forum about these whites who, simply by virtue of the ethnicity, are penalized by Affirmative Action. More affluent whites are unaffected and more affluent blacks (see Obama girls) are given a place in line ahead of these poor white males whose only crime was being born poor and white. It's not right.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 PM

332 posts, read 644,473 times
Quote:
Eminem is not the only white person from a poor hood. I live in New York and there are so many white people living in poor neighborhoods...especially white immigrants and children of immigrants.
I have never seen White people living in section 8 housing projects. All of the section 8 housing projects I have seen resemble a Little Africa, because it is either all Black or overwhelmingly Black. Most poor Whites tend to live in rural areas, far from the innercity.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
I have never seen White people living in section 8 housing projects. All of the section 8 housing projects I have seen resemble a Little Africa, because it is either all Black or overwhelmingly Black. Most poor Whites tend to live in rural areas, far from the innercity.
Not in New York. And it doesn't have to be section 8 housing to be a ghetto.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I have a number of posts on this forum about these whites who, simply by virtue of the ethnicity, are penalized by Affirmative Action. More affluent whites are unaffected and more affluent blacks (see Obama girls) are given a place in line ahead of these poor white males whose only crime was being born poor and white. It's not right.

Well, in what way I'm not sure. I'll tell you first hand I benefited from scholarships specifically for low income students that helped get me through college. I would never have been able to go to college without financial aid, loans, and scholarships.

No one will ever convince me that a poor person, white, black, hispanic or whatever, can't make something out of themselves in this country because I saw it first hand with me and my brother. We were dirt poor. I know, I'm just some random guy on the internet and you can believe what I say or not, but most problems with the poor start with family structure and environmental influence. A strong family can overcome the influence from a very negative environment (ie ghetto).

Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
Have you ever heard of Kid Rock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies