Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,157,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Haha, considering I make my living off of finances, I'd say you are the one needing the accounting course.

In the example above, want to tell me how I can pay next years expenses without the income, mmm ?
Then tell us about inter-company eliminations. If GE Power Systems borrows $1B from GE Capital, where does that show up on the consolidated balance sheet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
However, that fund they KNOW does not have enough money in it to accomodate future need. Thus, the money which has been borrowed to date MUST be paid back to keep the agency viable. Thus, its a liability.
Actually it's impossible to KNOW the future.

Quote:
While the overall picture of the financial stability of the fed was reduced.

Smoke and mirrors.

I am going to go out tomorrow to the bank and borrow a million bucks and then I am going to go buy a Aston Martin (my favorite) and then I am going to drive around and try and make myself look like I am loaded. We call them posers.
You clearly know more about posers. I'll defer to your experience.

Quote:
That wasn't the discussion, thus I won't follow you down the deflection road.

The question was. "Did the Clinton administration run a budget surplus".

Look at the whole picture, and not playing games with money, the answer is absolutely not.

Infact. He borrowed from the SS and STILL did not decrease the deficit.
Sorry it was a surplus.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Actually the federal government does have a way to pay social security retirement obligations, it taxes it's citizens as it does today.
BINGO... So instead of taking the Social Security income in the future when its needed, they will THEN have to not only take the Social Security income, but ALSO taxes!!!
Quote:
The question is did the United States government run a budget surplus during Clinton's Administration and the answer is Yes.
If you think the answer is yes, then maybe you better dispute this with the federal debt debt calculators and tell me again why the debt continued to climb.. You think you know more than the FEDERAL debt calculators?
Quote:
The question is did the United States government run a budget surplus during Clinton's Administration and the answer is Yes. But perhaps the more meaningful question is which administration -- Clinton, Reagan, Bush I, or Bush II -- was fiscally the most responsible. The answer to that is easy too -- Clinton.
Dont change the topic because this now leads to who ran Congress, because its CONGRESS than spends, not presidents.. And I'm sure that not an argument you want to discuss either, considering Republicans held Congress for ONLY 8 out of the last 45 years, and 4 of them, are the VERY YEARS you are claiming surpluses took place..

Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Then tell us about inter-company eliminations. If GE Power Systems borrows $1B from GE Capital, where does that show up on the consolidated balance sheet?
If GE Power Systems borrows $1B from GE Capital, GE Power systems gets a DEBT of $1B, with cash.. This creates a CASH balance of $1B, with an IOU for $1B, i.e. DEBT..

Old 04-02-2010, 08:45 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,997 times
Quote:
Thus why we do budgets.

What is the point of even doing a budget then if the congress can pull money from any intergovernmental holding desired and still show a "budget surplus". Whats the point?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Um, by definition the federal government created an IOU with the SS department, which NEEDS to be paid back. The only alternative is the SS trust fund forgives the debt to the general fund, which would indeed validate the argument that THERE WAS NO SURPLUS.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
BINGO... So instead of taking the Social Security income in the future when its needed, they will THEN have to not only take the Social Security income, but ALSO taxes!!!
And the sun comes up in the East..... [yawn]

Quote:
If you think the answer is yes, then maybe you better dispute this with the federal debt debt calculators and tell me again why the debt continued to climb.. You think you know more than the FEDERAL debt calculators?
Actual CBO and OMB agree with me. That's enough.

Quote:
Dont change the topic because this now leads to who ran Congress, because its CONGRESS than spends, not presidents.. And I'm sure that not an argument you want to discuss either, considering Republicans held Congress for ONLY 8 out of the last 45 years, and 4 of them, are the VERY YEARS you are claiming surpluses took place..
Yada Yada Yada. The Republicans controlled Congress and the White House for six years and ran horrendous deficits. Clinton proposed balanced budgets.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Sorry it was a surplus.
In what year? Here is the chart of EVERY year going back to 1940.. What year was there a surplus?
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/USbudget/fy10/sheets/hist07z1.xls

Old 04-02-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
If GE Power Systems borrows $1B from GE Capital, GE Power systems gets a DEBT of $1B, with cash.. This creates a CASH balance of $1B, with an IOU for $1B, i.e. DEBT..
You didn't answer the question. Where does the $1B debt show up on GE's consolidated statement. (Maybe you don't know much accounting after all)

Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Thus why we do budgets.

What is the point of even doing a budget then if the congress can pull money from any intergovernmental holding desired and still show a "budget surplus". Whats the point?
Nothing was hidden. Just when you add up all the revenues and all of the expenses there was money left over. That's a surplus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies