Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:43 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is TheHill.com
I can figure out how to type the name of a website into my browser, I don't need a link. I said:

Quote:
I don't know who the Hill is or who owns it but, I went to it and did a search for Palin to see if I could find what they had printed and the search failed.
That means I obviously went to the site. I did a search on The Hills webpage (using their search engine) for Palin and couldn't find what they had printed about Palin's show on FOX because the search came back failed.

Quote:
You ask how The Hill misunderstood the Fox press release: it's in the Times link. You quoted it: "But several accounts of the special reported that Ms. Palin herself would be talking to the guests in the show." I paraphrased it in the thread I started on this topic so as not to reproduce overmuch of the article and get a MOD CUT for copyright infringement.
No, that's not what I asked you....I can read what was in the Times link myself. First off, this is what I said.....this what I'm referring to:

Quote:
This statement (where ever it came from) "The press releases concerning the show were so misleading that The Hill reported it as:"
....and then I went on to say this about it:

Quote:
sounds like an assumption too
Then I asked you this:

Quote:
....that means it was because the press release was misleading? In exactly what way was it "so" misleading?
I'm not talking about what the Hill said. I'm talking about the statement you had paraphrased and are now taking credit for. Your paraphrase claims that what the Hill said was because the press release FOX made was so misleading.

BTW, when you paraphrase, you're quoting someone in your own words...usually because you don't have their actual quote available to you at that moment. Who or what are you paraphrasing....something the Hill said elsewhere in the article you're getting the quote from?...or is what you call your paraphrasing, actually a your summary (which inludes your assumptions), of what you then available and go onto actually quote from the Hill. If the later is the case, you're not paraphrasing anyone, you're editing in your opinion and by putting brackets around it, people are suppose to realize that it's something your saying and not part of the actual quote you've pasted into your post.

I don't know if this is what you actually did or if you are paraphrasing someone to shorten the quote. I'm not going to make that assumption but, what I often do when I'm reading/hearing something (or a part of it) that suddenly sounds like it's biased (agenda driven), I take that into consideration and do not assume it to be necessarily as reliable as the rest of the story (until if it's important enough to me, I research further elsewhere). Not to accuse you of anything but, I've noticed you mention "spin" when referring to the rights view on things that you oppose. If your "paraphrasing" is actually your summary of what you then go onto actually quote, I would have to say that would definitely fall into the category of being "spin" and "misleading".

Quote:
So... yes, The Hill "made assumptions," based on the misleading press release from Fox.
Yes, this is what YOU'RE claiming and I'm asking you, in EXACTLY what way was it so misleading? It's the press release that you're claiming was misleading so, again EXACTLY how was it? Did you read it...the press release that YOU'RE talking about? I know what the Hill printed and this is what I said about it:

Quote:
What's misleading is what the Hill printed....which included their assumptions....again, the topic of the thread.
Which brings me to the topic of my thread (not yours), about assumptions starting rumors. You're making assumptions that FOX's press release was so misleading that it caused the Hill to make assumptions when they printed the inaccurate information about Palin's up coming show on FOX. Whether or not that's true would be debatable if you knew what was actually written in the press release so, do you or are you just making an assumption? If you've got it, paste it in a reply. As I already brought up, in the NYT blog it said this about FOX's press release that they made that Monday:

Quote:
In the press release that Fox issued Monday announcing the special, it was described as being “hosted by Sarah Palin” but did not say she interviewed the people in it. The release said the show would “feature Toby Keith.” It also said LL Cool J and Mr. Welch would “both speak about their success” in a separate segment called “In Their Own Words.”
This doesn't mean there weren't prior press releases that were worded differently and possibly misleading but, this is all we know about them from reading the Yahoo news article or the NYT blog. Understand, do you see what I'm doing.....I'm not making any assumptions that there wasn't a press release at one time that was misleading. I'm saying there's nothing I've read that shows me that was the case so, I can't assume that it was (even if I had an agenda and hated FOX).

Quote:
Your statement "It's already been twisted out of shape by stating that having his story on the show was a misrepresentation by FOX to promote Sarah's show" is RW spin. Fox did misrepresent in order to promote Sarah's show.

The Yahoo! News update you quote confirms the contention of the NYT piece.
No, what I said is based on what the Yahoo news article said Cool J Tweeted, which was:

Quote:
"Fox lifted an old interview I gave in 2008 to someone else & are misrepresenting to the public in order to promote Sarah Palins Show. WOW."
Based on what he said and everything I've just explained, there's no doubt that there have been inaccurate descriptions of what was going to be on Palin's show but, whether or not FOX did any misrepresenting or misleading has been proven, only assumed so far (because of the press releases that it has been assumed were the culprit, causing others to print inaccurate information about Palin's show).

Quote:
Maybe what caused some of the confusion was that I gave two different titles for the same NYT article -- sorry about that. One was the article title, the other the web page title.

In your last paragraph you're basically repeating what the Times piece pointed out, and what many of us here spend a lot of time trying to show folks who are easily misled. My first impulse was to say something sarcastic like "Thaanks" but instead I'll say I hope you'll continue on with this good fight -- keep pushing the rock up the hill. Although that RW spin statement is disconcerting.
I'm not being mislead by anything.....I'm the one not making any assumptions that end up creating rumors that not can not be said are completely accurate. I too have spent a lot of time trying to point this out to people....that the assumptions they make (often because of their agenda) mislead others when they repeat a news report they've read or heard and unknowingly include the assumptions they've made while doing it.

Your posts are about your agenda....how FOX misleads people. Mine is about how people make assumptions (often influenced by being biased) and don't even realize it when they do.

Last edited by Danno3314; 04-03-2010 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:48 PM

delusianne,

Here's a copy of what is suppose to be the actual press release from FOX:

Quote:
FOX News Channel (FNC) will present the first installment of a new series, Real American Stories on Thursday, April 1st at 10:00PM/ET.

Hosted by Sarah Palin, Real American Stories will feature real-life tales of overcoming adversity throughout the American landscape. The debut episode will focus on a range of such stories including a Marine Medal of Honor recipient who gave his life to save his comrades. Also, the special profiles a wealthy stock broker who donates much of his fortune to underprivileged students so they can attend college.

The program will also feature country singer, Toby Keith, who will explain the inspiration behind his song, “Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue.” Additionally, rapper and actor, LL Cool J, and the former Chairman and CEO of General Electric, Jack Welch, will both speak about their success in this country in a segment entitled, “In Their Own Words.”

The program will also be presented on Sunday, April 4th at 9:00PM/ET.
I found it here:

Real American Stories: The Drama has already begun – UPDATE: Problem Solved – Old LL Cool J interview cut from show- The Right Scoop

I did a google search to look for what the actual press release said. The search came back with plenty of links that basically reported the same thing the NYT blog did but, this was the only link that had a copy of the press release on it (and even they question whether or not it's legit).

If you can find anything better, more power to you but, this is all I can find. It appears all the hype about FOX's press release being misleading and causing the assumptions, is nothing more than an assumption itself. There are blogs all over the net claiming FOX's press release was misleading (which amounts to exactly the rumors I'm talking about in this thread) and yet, the link above was the only place I could find what is suppose to be, the actual release that's being critcized (and it's hardly "so" misleading).

So as you would put it, it looks like all the "spin" is coming from the left world on this incident with the right world being absent (along with a copy of the actual FOX press release the left world is complaining about).

This is how rumors start.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
I beg your pardon. I am not "taking credit for" paraphrasing part of an article, and would not do such a thing (who would, and how would they, exactly?). Of course I paraphrased to shorten the quote, as I told you. I had posted it as part of the OP of another thread, as I also told you, and to keep the quote it led into in context I had to paraphrase, which I didnt tell you but which is obvious if you look at that thread, to which I linked.

Of course the press release was "the culprit"; that was why the incident made the news. Are you saying that in your opinion, first LL Cool J lied, here:

Twitter / LL Cool J: Fox lifted an old intervie ...

and the publicist lied -- twice (the second lie would have been about the phantom email) -- and the Hill reporter misinterpreted the language of the press release? The Hill published:
“Sarah Palin will kick off her new Fox News series with one of the most diverse guest lineups in memory: LL Cool J, Toby Keith, and Jack Welch. The three very different guests will speak to Palin for her inaugural episode of ‘ American Stories ‘ on April 1st.”
Are you aware that Fox Nation reprinted the Hill blurb on its own site, as a promotion for Palin's show? What does that tell you?

And what exactly is the rumor started here? That Fox News lies?

Old 04-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I beg your pardon. I am not "taking credit for" paraphrasing part of an article, and would not do such a thing (who would, and how would they, exactly?).
OK, so you didn't paraphrase it....I thought you said you did here:

Quote:
I paraphrased it in the thread I started on this topic so as not to reproduce overmuch of the article and get a MOD CUT for copyright infringement.
Quote:
Of course I paraphrased to shorten the quote, as I told you. I had posted it as part of the OP of another thread, as I also told you, and to keep the quote it led into in context I had to paraphrase, which I didnt tell you but which is obvious if you look at that thread, to which I linked.
Well, that's what I thought so, now you're saying you did paraphrase it. If you're saying you paraphrased it then that's taking credit for paraphrasing it, isn't it?

Back to my question, who or what are you paraphrasing when you wrote this:

Quote:
[The press releases concerning the show were so misleading that The Hill reported it as:]
Where did it was the press release that caused The Hill to inacurately describe Palin's show? What did you shorten where it had said this?

Quote:
Of course the press release was "the culprit"; that was why the incident made the news. Are you saying that in your opinion, first LL Cool J lied, here:

Twitter / LL Cool J: Fox lifted an old intervie ...
Of course? What does that mean? You're making an assumption. Let's see the actual press release that you and others are making this assumption about. All I could find is what I posted and that's not "so" misleading so, find one about this Palin show that FOX released this is....the one that's being ASSUMED to be the culprit.

As far as what I'm saying about LL Cool J, I've already said once but, I'll paste it here again (I made a typo when I originally posted it....I wrote has instead of hasn't...I highlighted in red the orretion I made):

Quote:
No, what I said is based on what the Yahoo news article said Cool J Tweeted, which was:

Quote:
"Fox lifted an old interview I gave in 2008 to someone else & are misrepresenting to the public in order to promote Sarah Palins Show. WOW."
Based on what he said and everything I've just explained, there's no doubt that there have been inaccurate descriptions of what was going to be on Palin's show but, whether or not FOX did any misrepresenting or misleading hasn't been proven, only assumed so far (because of the press releases that it has been assumed were the culprit, causing others to print inaccurate information about Palin's show).
Did I say IMO Cool J lied? No....I don't know where Cool J got his information from (he didn't say) but, it was inaccurate/misleading/misrepresentative. I guess you're assuming he read the actual press release. He didn't say anything about any actual direct communication between him and FOX. Why don't you assume he read the misleading description of the show on The Hill, where it was inaccurately reported? I'm not, I didn't make any assumptions about him (read what I wrote).

Quote:
and the publicist lied -- twice (the second lie would have been about the phantom email)
Who says she would be lying? Who's jumping to that conclusion? What would she be possibly lying about? The NYT blog is very clear about what she did or was suppose to have received from FOX:

Quote:
According to a copy of an email message provided to The Times, the producer wrote Ms. Schock saying, “You may recall that almost a year ago, we did an interview with Toby Keith for our program Real American Stories. I’m happy to report our show is finally going to air.”

In a separate telephone interview Wednesday, Ms. Schock said that she spent much of the day looking through her email messages to see if she had been contacted by Fox News. “The last email I have from them is from January, 2009,” she said. She added, “I’m not saying Fox did not email me. Maybe they spelled my name wrong. I’m just saying I never got an email or a phone call from them.”
What does any of that have to do with a press release that's "obviously" the culprit?

Quote:
-- and the Hill reporter misinterpreted the language of the press release? The Hill published:
“Sarah Palin will kick off her new Fox News series with one of the most diverse guest lineups in memory: LL Cool J, Toby Keith, and Jack Welch. The three very different guests will speak to Palin for her inaugural episode of ‘ American Stories ‘ on April 1st.”
Yes, isn't this what we've been talking about all along.....I noticed you said, "the Hill reporter misinterpreted the language of the press release".

Quote:
Are you aware that Fox Nation reprinted the Hill blurb on its own site, as a promotion for Palin's show? What does that tell you?
Yes, it says that in the NYT blog but, it doesn't say they did it to promote the show:

Quote:
One of these, on the Fox Nation website, which is owned by Fox News, reprinted an account from the website The Hill, which said:
It tells me you're making another assumption about how it was used on the Fox Nation website. Why don't you assume it was a story about how the Hill was incorrectly desribing the Palin show. I didn't do that, I don't know how they used it, it doesn't tell you but, I did do a search on their website as well (using their search engine and google too) to research EXACTLY in what context it had been reprinted (rather than assume anything) but, although it didn't fail (like the Hill's did) I came up empty.

Quote:
And what exactly is the rumor started here? That Fox News lies?
Have you been following my thread at all? The rumor is that the inaccurate reports that have been made to describe Palin's show, were the result of FOX's news release being "so" misleading.

Assumptions are being made about what's actually been reported, which has created rumors about FOX's roll in the inaccurate descriptions of Palin's show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies