Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times

Advertisements

How can any person with half a brain send their child to someplace where people have been warned severely to stay away from? How can any person with half a brain go to a place where he has been warned against going?

His parents sent him, but he is an adult, he could have refused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
People think it will "never happen to me". It does and this case it did. This "kid" was a 21yr old adult. It is disconcerting that not only were his parents not responsible enough to exercise good judgement but neither did he. The worst tragedies are those which were easily avoidable by exercising common sense.

I hope others learn from this and do not risk the travel to Mexico while the situation is dangerous.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Now that its determined that even the resort areas are not safe, why would anyone want to go to Mexico for holiday?

If you want sun and fun, go to Iraq. Its probably safer.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah, the State Department does post those travel warnings for a reason...I hope he recovers, but I hope he's learned his lesson.

There's plenty of places in the U.S. to vacation in, and plenty of stable, developed, safe countries too.
What does Mexico City have that Los Angeles ain't got?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
What does Mexico City have that Los Angeles ain't got?
There's nothing in Mexico that would convince me to go there...some of those ancient Native American ruins down there are interesting but I'll enjoy pics and films of them instead...

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No, they thought a popular tourist spot would be safe. What a spiteful thing for you to say though. Do you troll memorial sites too?
I agree with you, it is a terrible thing to say, i doubt very much that these parents could forsee what was to happen, i am so sure they are feeling beyond words. Just does go to show though, even your favorite tourist spot, these days is beyond being safe.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's nothing in Mexico that would convince me to go there...some of those ancient Native American ruins down there are interesting but I'll enjoy pics and films of them instead...

Monterrey is beautiful. It's a clean, vibrant, culturally interesting city with very friendly citizens and fascinating architecuture.

El D.F. (Mexico City) is OK if you brace yourself for what's to be expected - extreme congestion, hardcore air pollution, and seeing people so poor you will be very grateful for living in the U.S., even if you're a bitter liberal.

But come on - any relatively intelligent person knows that border towns are absolute ****holes that should be avoided. I've been to Juarez and Tijiuana, and they both sucked.

The vast Majority of Mexicans are decent, friendly hardworking people devoted to their family. The POS illegals that try to cross the border or traffic dope are the scumballs here.

Last edited by Marksman84; 03-31-2010 at 10:04 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 10:00 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
There are literally tens of thousands of students who went or are currently on Spring Break throughout Mexico. The fact that one dude got a beatdown has little to do with the ongoing drug violence in Mexico. I'm sure you could read the police reports from just about any other popular Spring Break destination and you'll find similar incidences. Stuff like this (and much worse) has occurred during Spring Breaks for decades.

If I had kids I'm sure I'd prefer they go somewhere else but I think this incident is being blown out of proportion.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:03 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
There are literally tens of thousands of students who went or are currently on Spring Break throughout Mexico. The fact that one dude got a beatdown has little to do with the ongoing drug violence in Mexico. I'm sure you could read the police reports from just about any other popular Spring Break destination and you'll find similar incidences. Stuff like this (and much worse) has occurred during Spring Breaks for decades.

If I had kids I'm sure I'd prefer they go somewhere else but I think this incident is being blown out of proportion.

Excellent point. The kid's probably safer in the nice parts of Mexico than in Washington, D.umbass C.lods, where some libnut gang bangers open fired and killed more people today.....

Old 03-31-2010, 10:08 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
To be fair, we should make sure to reserve enough scorn and judgement to cover the parents of the thousands and thousands of other students who went to Cancun for spring break and did not get beaten up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies