Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Rape isn't "bullying"...

It's a felony. You could call anything "bullying" by that standard such as robbery at gunpoint, carjacking, and murder, but that obviously isn't what is being discussed here.
Most of the posts in this thread are in response to the despicable bullying case in Northampton, MA. 9 kids, 1 victim, 2 rapes, lots of parents and teachers complicit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,640,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Most of the posts in this thread are in response to the despicable bullying case in Northampton, MA. 9 kids, 1 victim, 2 rapes, lots of parents and teachers complicit.
Rape is a separate crime and goes beyond bullying. If someone is robbed at gunpoint and is then brutally raped and slaughtered on the schoolhouse grounds, I don't think most would consider it "bullying" just because it is committed by someone of school age. Serious crimes have little to do with the issue.

I'm referring to the wasted money spent on "counseling" and other BS departments for these little brats because their feelings are hurt. GROW UP.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-08-2010 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
you are right--- the bully stuff is garbage. it is garbage done by garbage. suicide is rarely the fault of a child. others help. how long this been goin on, sing it.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 AM

550 posts, read 1,356,399 times
I heard an interesting discussion on NPR a week ago about how the true bullies usually go unnoticed because they have great social awareness. Often times the bullies everyone thinks of are the ones with hidden problems but they are really being bullied themselves by someone with greater social awareness.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:46 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
I can tell you this much... if my kid becomes the target of bullying, and he defends himself and whoops the bully's a** and HE gets in trouble at school for standing up for himself when all other avenues have been exhausted, I guarantee you that my a** will be up at the school raising a huge fuss! I'll be damned if I'm going to let my kid get punished because some other brat starting it! Thank goodness he is well liked, so I don't have to worry about it yet, and hope that I never do. NOBODY, whether they are a kid or an adult deserves to be bullied!!!!! If a good a** whoopin' won't solve the problem and it continues, then the parents of the bully or bullies need to be confronted (no not physically either), the schools need to be notified, and if the problem isn't solved after that, then most certainly the proper authorities need to be notified. To the other parents, know what is going on in your child's life at all times! Make it a point to let them know to not be afraid, and that you are there for them. Bullying can have everlasting consequences to that child leading into their adult years. Telling them that if they get beat up from another kid that you're going to kick their a** is not the solution to the problem either! On the other hand if I found out that my son was bullying someone or taking part in it, I would not hesitate to spank his little behind! (I'll probably get jumped on for that one)

Bullying isn't just confined to kids either. I see adults bullying other adults all the time. I worked as a DJ in bars and night clubs for many years, and have seen people get ganged up on on numerous occasions. The funny thing, is that the small guy is always the one that came out of it better than the larger one! I will put my money on a smaller dude any day! I've seen people get dumped on at places of employment as well. It makes me question what in the Hell is this world coming too? Is it REALLY that damn hard to be nice to one another?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,546 times
When I was a freshmen in high school during the first day of class, we had a little ice breaker where people went around the classroom saying their favorite quote.

This one girl said:
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can shatter the soul"

This girl committed suicide my junior year

Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
My niece is a school teacher and she says she's even seen teachers not only ignore bullying but she's seen teachers overtly encouraging it and feeding into the mindset of picking on one kid in a classroom. It's really sickening what is going on with school bullying. Dr. Phil just had a good show on the topic and has resources online for dealing with the issue. Here's one: Dr. Phil.com - Advice - Dealing with Bullies

Old 04-08-2010, 11:21 PM

178 posts, read 184,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post

I'm referring to the wasted money spent on "counseling" and other BS departments for these little brats because their feelings are hurt. GROW UP.
Not all bullying is about just hurting their feelings. There have been cases where bullies post falsehoods on the internet, and totally destroy another student's reputation, they also post threats. It can be frightening to a young girl when several girls gang up together to bully her. It is worse for boys because they don't want to tell "mom" for fear of being thought of as wimpy.

So, not all of it is BS, and anyone who is not sensitive to this subject obviously doesn't know enough about it and needs to grow up themselves.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
No. But if i was getting bullied i would fight people. And because people knew that, it didnt happen Always wondered why people getting bullied didnt fight back.

My parents did not teach me to fight others. Where they wrong for that? I am a girl but even if I was a boy they still would not have thought me to fight. The kids that bully have problems at home and they get those problems from their family, most likely their parents are to blame.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by we'renotinkansasanymore View Post
The garbage is the fact that these teenagers are so lacking in decency and morals that they saw nothing wrong with maligning this girl after she was dead. These kind of youths are the future of America.

You're absolutely right! And it starts at home with the parents (as someone mentioned in another post). I think those parents should be held accountable to some degree for allowing those kids to act like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies