Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,756,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I am wishing for marriage to continue to be between a man and a woman. Why do you care? Why can't I have an opinion that is different than yours? I'm just one person posting on a forum.
You are entitled to whatever opinion you wish to express. But I just have to ask - do you think that including same sex marriage will somehow invalidate opposite sex marriage? Because I just don't see that happening any time - either soon or later.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,945,812 times
Quote:
Whatever the tie-in was, I don't think I made it. I only said that I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman. A lot of people say that. If the entire country accepts gay marriage tomorrow it won't have any impact on the number of straight people who get married. I don't think I said that. If I did, please point it out to me so I can apologize. I'm never too big to do that if it's warranted, but I don't think it happened here.

Why can't someone casually dislike something? People talk about how they dislike things on just about every thread here. It's just an opinion that is different than yours. In the end, I don't get to make the decisions, so you shouldn't care about what I think.
What would it matter if marriages between a man and woman dropped to nil. But, people started marrying rocks. Or a stuffed animal. Or someone of the same sex. How would it affect you at all? Why would you want to deny someone the ability to marry simply based on your beliefs? You are fine to believe what you want, but to then deny someone else a certain aspect of life based on that belief is not justifiable. Gays wanting to marry doesn't deny heteros any right whatsoever, but the inverse does deny individuals rights and privileges.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,933,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
You are entitled to whatever opinion you wish to express. But I just have to ask - do you think that including same sex marriage will somehow invalidate opposite sex marriage? Because I just don't see that happening any time - either soon or later.
I already addressed that in this thread, and the answer was no.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I'm not at all upset. You are going to continue to be yourself, as you should. I just don't agree with you. That's what bothers you. That people don't agree with you. That's all I've done here... Disagreed with you.
You can disagree all you want, but it seems that YOU are the one that cannot stand being disagreed with. Because you simply cannot let another's statement stand (or fall) on it's own merits without trying to counter it with your own opinion. I freely admit this about myself - when I see an statement that makes no sense to me, I simply HAVE to counter it, even if that countering is simply asking for clarification. But you seem to relish the argumentative nature of your own posts more than is healthy.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
What would it matter if marriages between a man and woman dropped to nil.
Once again, I am not the person who said that it would.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,327,292 times
I was 4 years old and i wanted to kiss a girl in preschool. That's when i 'realized' i was heterosexual.
Someone should create a heterosexual flag, so i can put a sticker on my car and annoy everybody on the road.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
You can disagree all you want, but it seems that YOU are the one that cannot stand being disagreed with. Because you simply cannot let another's statement stand (or fall) on it's own merits without trying to counter it with your own opinion.

Isn't that what this forum is about? You have your opinions and I have mine. I haven't seen too many threads where people changed their minds halfway through. That's just not going to happen. Why should someone let an opinion stand if they don't agree with it? Why shouldn't they counter it with their own opinion?

Quote:
I freely admit this about myself - when I see an statement that makes no sense to me, I simply HAVE to counter it, even if that countering is simply asking for clarification. But you seem to relish the argumentative nature of your own posts more than is healthy.
Who are you to decide what is healthy? Your opinion is different than mine. Welcome to the world of adulthood. It's going to happen from time to time. You don't have to respond to my posts if you don't want to, but if you choose to respond then you have no right to expect me not to respond to you.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,703,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Someone should create a heterosexual flag, so i can put a sticker on my car and annoy everybody on the road.
Why would that annoy anyone? Are you saying that rainbow flags on cars annoy you (or "everyone")?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
No. For me it's all about marriage. That's all. I like that marriage is still generally recognized as a union between a man and a woman. I want it to stay that way. I will be very disappointed if it does not.
Do you somehow think that allowing same sex marriage would 'take away' marriage between men and women? Because that's what this argument sounds like. Believe me when I say that marriage between any of my homosexual friends (granted they are all on-line friends) would have made no difference in my marriage whatsoever!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Do you somehow think that allowing same sex marriage would 'take away' marriage between men and women?
I have answered this question four times already. You can scroll up for the answer, because I'm not going to answer it again. I was NOT the person who said that it would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies