Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times

Advertisements

Commentary is from me.

I sent back my 2010 Census two days after I received it, enough time to verify the privacy verbiage about not releasing my data. Did you return yours?

Maybe you did and maybe you didn't. I can say for sure though that I am quite sure of the biggest reason most people haven't returned it, and why the government felt the need to "threaten" non-respondents. The government should have figured this out themselves, especially in this economy, but for some reason they still have no clue. Instead, they tout the fact that foreign-based communities have higher response rates than those areas with American-born citizens. But why is that? It's because the foreign-based community residents are proud to be Americans. They actually love the census process, at least for now. The rest of us...not so much.

There's a simple reason: It's the WIIFM model. You know it: What's In It For Me?

The government throws the 2010 Census around, claiming that it's the only way it can get funding. And yes, a lot of these programs are necessary for sustained operations. But in this economy, regular working stiffs just don't care. They want to know what benefit it holds for them personally. It's a valid question, one the government has failed to answer and refuses to address. They don't seem to realize how easy it is to increase response rates, especially considering the census is due April 19th. Instead of doing the easy thing, they would rather send volunteers around to collect the data. That won't get much more traction and in truth it's a waste of time. I know they have to do what they can, which is why I'm confused that they refuse to do the simple thing. The one thing that would certainly guarantee a higher response rate.

Attach an incentive to the response. Yes, an incentive. Not a threat. An incentive.

For example, for every consumer who replies to the census before a certain date, the household can claim an extra $500 refundable credit on their Federal tax bill, $100 on their state tax bill (if they have state income taxes). Include late filing instructions to claim the credit against what they owe, or allow them to donate the money to charity of their choice. In this way, you are encouraging every American to not only be counted, but to also get what they should, while at the same time stimulating the economy (because those who take the money are going to find a way to spend it).

Or another example: offer another option in lieu of the tax credit: A jury duty waiver for 10 years (until the next census, basically). Applies to ALL types of jury duty: city, county, state, Federal. A free pass to not have to deal with the burden of jury duty.

The first is quite realistic and would generate lots of responses. It would also encourage nonfilers to actually file and pay what they owe, because every taxpayer loves getting money. The second...maybe that's a little drastic. But they're just examples of the way the census needs to work. Make it worth the American's while. Stop rubbing in our faces that immigrants are proud to be counted; we just don't care. All we want to know is WIIFM - What's In It For Me? The promise of state money that will be again wasted in poor spending procedures is not going to entice people to take the time to do this. We know that whatever money the state does get from the census will be blown in short order, and we'll be right back where we started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Commentary is from me.

I sent back my 2010 Census two days after I received it, enough time to verify the privacy verbiage about not releasing my data. Did you return yours?

Maybe you did and maybe you didn't. I can say for sure though that I am quite sure of the biggest reason most people haven't returned it, and why the government felt the need to "threaten" non-respondents. The government should have figured this out themselves, especially in this economy, but for some reason they still have no clue. Instead, they tout the fact that foreign-based communities have higher response rates than those areas with American-born citizens. But why is that? It's because the foreign-based community residents are proud to be Americans. They actually love the census process, at least for now. The rest of us...not so much.

There's a simple reason: It's the WIIFM model. You know it: What's In It For Me?

The government throws the 2010 Census around, claiming that it's the only way it can get funding. And yes, a lot of these programs are necessary for sustained operations. But in this economy, regular working stiffs just don't care. They want to know what benefit it holds for them personally. It's a valid question, one the government has failed to answer and refuses to address. They don't seem to realize how easy it is to increase response rates, especially considering the census is due April 19th. Instead of doing the easy thing, they would rather send volunteers around to collect the data. That won't get much more traction and in truth it's a waste of time. I know they have to do what they can, which is why I'm confused that they refuse to do the simple thing. The one thing that would certainly guarantee a higher response rate.

Attach an incentive to the response. Yes, an incentive. Not a threat. An incentive.

For example, for every consumer who replies to the census before a certain date, the household can claim an extra $500 refundable credit on their Federal tax bill, $100 on their state tax bill (if they have state income taxes). Include late filing instructions to claim the credit against what they owe, or allow them to donate the money to charity of their choice. In this way, you are encouraging every American to not only be counted, but to also get what they should, while at the same time stimulating the economy (because those who take the money are going to find a way to spend it).

Or another example: offer another option in lieu of the tax credit: A jury duty waiver for 10 years (until the next census, basically). Applies to ALL types of jury duty: city, county, state, Federal. A free pass to not have to deal with the burden of jury duty.

The first is quite realistic and would generate lots of responses. It would also encourage nonfilers to actually file and pay what they owe, because every taxpayer loves getting money. The second...maybe that's a little drastic. But they're just examples of the way the census needs to work. Make it worth the American's while. Stop rubbing in our faces that immigrants are proud to be counted; we just don't care. All we want to know is WIIFM - What's In It For Me? The promise of state money that will be again wasted in poor spending procedures is not going to entice people to take the time to do this. We know that whatever money the state does get from the census will be blown in short order, and we'll be right back where we started.
Can I really get the Obamas to give me $500 for sending my form back? Will they ask me if I support them or not? I sent mine back the next day since I had read my sons' forms before I got mine.

Anyway if I can do that I will amend that form I was waiting to send to them at the last minute for the first time ever. I want every penny I can get from them this year because I know what will happen next year. Please let me know if this is really true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies