Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 PM

68 posts, read 45,526 times

Advertisements

Im from Maine and a small densely populated area in the south eastern part of the state, that is more of a suburb of massachusetts then anything else gets to deicide the course of the entire state even with issus that dont affect that part of the state like hunting and trapping laws and the "Real Mainers" dont get a say even with the fact that they cover the geographical majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMaine View Post
Im from Maine and a small densely populated area in the south eastern part of the state, that is more of a suburb of massachusetts then anything else gets to deicide the course of the entire state even with issus that dont affect that part of the state like hunting and trapping laws and the "Real Mainers" dont get a say even with the fact that they cover the geographical majority.
I think it's an interesting issue. A few points of clarification, though.

What do you mean when you say "Real Mainers"? Seems like a bit of a mystification of some notion of authenticity.

Also, how do you think this change in representation would practically go about?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,226,346 times
Quote:
Unless you have different laws than the rest of the US, every free citizen in Maine has one vote, including you, that is democracy. One man, one vote. If they outnumber your area they have more votes.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:35 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
I'm don't know that much about Maines political system, does it not have a Senate?

The fact of the matter is, majority rules. If you don't like the part of Maine you're speaking of, perhaps you should ask to put on the ballot, a measure to annex that part to Massachusetts.

This was a question to our founding fathers as well. Thats why they made a Senate. However, its not clear that a Senate is actually needed.

You've asked an age old question, to an age old problem. But, as I said before, in a Democracy, majority rules.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
I think it's an interesting issue. A few points of clarification, though.

What do you mean when you say "Real Mainers"?
People that have lived and worked in the state for generations, not people that live within an hour of the state border that moved here since the 1960s as part of the growing outer edge of Massachusetts suburbs that most people call the Vovo line.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,760 times
Quote:
People that have lived and worked in the state for generations, not people that live within an hour of the state border that moved here since the 1960s as part of the growing outer edge of Massachusetts suburbs that most people call the Vovo line.

So living in Maine for the last 50 years does not include you as a "Real Mainers"?

And what about all the people that were born and bread in these areas for the last 50 years? They are not "Real Mainers" either?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Is there a specific legislative issue that has you up in arms? Just curious.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,623 times
I wonder about this in California myself. California's largest industry happens to be agriculture but the majority of the voters live in only 3 urban population centers. Seems a bit lob-sided to me. By the same token, I don't see any alternatives.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
So living in Maine for the last 50 years does not include you as a "Real Mainers"?

And what about all the people that were born and bread in these areas for the last 50 years? They are not "Real Mainers" either?
Maine on average has some of the oldest non native American population in the U.S so 50 years is nothing.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
Representation is per person, not by amount of land owned or by proportion of land use. FromMaine seems to be devising a way to circumvent our representative concept because of some feeling of being slighted. I understand there's always a struggle between the needs of the urban and the rural populations but there is no easy way to solve this except to elect people who can represent both groups equally. I'm sure the rural people of Illinois feel slighted since half the population of that state lives in just one urban county. Perhaps one solution would be to redraw the lines on the map to balance the rural/urban populations. But then someone will complain that their group wasn't addressed and we'd open up a whole new can of worms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies