Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times

Advertisements

Interesting prediction.

Chomsky Warns of Rise of the Far Right in the U.S. - Pravda.Ru

Quote:
"It's very similar to Weimar Germany, the parallels are striking." Here, too, there is a tremendous disappointment with the parliamentary system, pointed Chomsky interviewing on Truthdig.

"The United States is very lucky that no honest and charismatic figure has appeared, and if this were to happen this country would be in real trouble for the frustration, disillusionment and the justified anger combined with the absence of a coherent response," he concludes.
Every time I am in San Francisco, New York or Miami and I reminded of the Weimar Republic in Germany in the mid to late 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 12:39 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Interesting. So, since the far left is getting in the saddle, Chomsky sees it as only logical that the far right would begin to grow and prosper, winning hearts and minds , as it were.. Taking that at face value, is this an allusion to the TEA party then? Such a rationale makes it pretty easy for the left to play that racism card, make comparisons to the nazis, and slap the extremist label on any and all opposition that may arise to their agenda. I am actually quite weary of the nazi Germany comparisons, Stalinist Russia etc. I also think that folks like me, who walk down the middle of things a bit, are larger in number than either left or right extreme. I switched my party affiliation to Independent, and most of my friends are also now former Republicans and Democrats as well. Perhaps the far right has become more vocal, but so has the far left, and neither end in gaining ground in the majority. Sorry, I don't see a rise to power of any extremist views that gets very far. People are seeing the far left for what it is now, and a wild swing in the opposite direction is unlikely at best. Come November, things will get balanced back out again, at least that is my fervent hope. Time may prove me wrong, and I will deal with that when/if it happens.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Interesting prediction.

Every time I am in San Francisco, New York or Miami and I reminded of the Weimar Republic in Germany in the mid to late 20's.
Good thing though, that unlike Germany....this movement has demographic trends working against them....the minority voting percentage rises every year.....and younger people are, in general, less bigoted than older whites.

That's all these Tea Party movement is, whites who feel a sense of entitlement making their last stand.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:49 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I have a feeling that from here on out, and for the rest of my life, I'm going to be hearing about how we are becoming just like Nazi Germany. Regardless of who is in power or what is actually going on. It seems to be the ONLY thing people come up with when they disagree anymore. And it's loosing it's ability to strike fear into anyone because it's way overplayed.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:51 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
For instance in Texas, they expect four new seats in Congress because of the population gains.

Unfortunately, for the GOP...3 of the 4seats will likely be Hispanic (Democratic).

Congressional Quarterly

According to the consulting firm Election Data Services Inc., Texas is projected to gain four congressional districts in reapportionment, from 32 to 36, in large part because of burgeoning growth among Hispanics. According to a report from America's Voice, Texas grew its population by nearly 3.5 million since 2000 and by 2.2 million Hispanics, or 63 percent of the total.

Vargas hopes that three of the four new districts can be drawn as Hispanic-influence districts in and around Dallas, Houston and in the Rio Grande Valley.

Let these old white bigots bash minorities all they want....they'll get what's coming to them at the ballot box.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:03 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,476,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Interesting. So, since the far left is getting in the saddle, Chomsky sees it as only logical that the far right would begin to grow and prosper, winning hearts and minds , as it were.. Taking that at face value, is this an allusion to the TEA party then?
Not quite. Chomsky's views on the TEA party are that, while extremely misguided they have some valid gripes. Viewing them as completely illegitimate is not very fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2zYaKXeyXE

He's basically stating that, given the state of the economy people are going to grasp onto whatever they can in order to maintain their standard of living. They're going to blame various races for their ills instead of those in power. This could open up a fairly large power vacuum and bring in an even greater fascist power element to fill that hole.

The most recent case I can think of is shortly after 9/11. Americans have absolutely no problem giving up their civil liberties and freedoms, and submitting to a police state when they're mildly scared. This is why the bill that was passed in Arizona is particularly disconcerting. Fear makes people do crazy things.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
How so?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:19 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How so?
LMAO, truly! I have never been to NY or Miami, but the times I have been in San Fran merely served to remind me how I do love my wide open spaces and the Cowboy Way....little else actually. I saw no comparison to Wiemar in the 20's, though all I have to go on with the latter is the history books of course, and the talkings of my sainted Grandmother, who was a teen in them days, and a wise and sage old lady now, well worth listening to.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Interesting prediction.

Gee, I have been to those cities as well and am only reminded of the failures and idiocy of liberalism.

If ever a far right government takes hold in the US, it will be simply as a result of a response to the insanity of liberalism, which has literally destroyed cities such as San Francisco. SF used to be a great town, now liberalism has turned it into a dump.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Good thing though, that unlike Germany....this movement has demographic trends working against them....the minority voting percentage rises every year.....and younger people are, in general, less bigoted than older whites.

That's all these Tea Party movement is, whites who feel a sense of entitlement making their last stand.
That is true. Once the useless racist generation born between 1935 and 1955 bite the dust and go to Hell, the country will be far better under the leadership of Generations Y and X who do not have the homophobia, racism or hate that the earlier generations have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies