Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
This is absolutely false. The effects from the Valdez spill are still being felt twenty years later. Maybe you don't care about protecting the environment for future generations but many of us do care. We all lose if big corps. Are allowed to drill unrestrained while doing their best to get around any costly safety measure, just like BP just did.
At least with the Valdez we knew exactly what we were dealing with. We have no idea how much oil this thing is going to spew before it either runs out or somebody figures out how to stop it. This could be 10 times as much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:55 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Something you should remember as you debate this topic. For every oil rig set up in US waters, much of the off shore oil lease goes to the federal government. If the federal government were to shut down off shore oil drilling, they would not only loose those oil lease revenue, they'd also loose a huge chunk of tax revenue from all the jobs, sales taxes, fees, and other money this industry generates for both the state and the federal government.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes, but I also like crystal coast beaches the way they are.

And unless that highly exaggerated number of "couple hundred million Americans" live in North Carolina, Florida, or the respective state in which the drilling is proposed I do not care whether they agree or disagree. In the case of drilling off the coast its an issue to be decided by the people who live in a state where proposed drilling might occur and if you do not live here you have no business telling us what to do.
You will find that many people who do not live in a coastal state do not have the feelings for the ocean that people have that do live in coastal states. Even here in Atlanta, many of us are very passionate about the Georgia coast because we spend so much time there. It is not just "beaches and water" to us. It is a part of our lives and, to many here, our very livelihoods. I realize that oil is important to the US economy but so are our ports, our fishing industry and our tourism.
Oil is something we need but it is also something that can be saved and conserved. I am well aware that we need "some" oil but the fact is that Americans use oil like pigs use slob- about 4 times what people in even other industrialized nations use.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Three Mile Island was ultimately a non-event.

How many people were killed? None.

How many people were injured? None.

Was the power plant destroyed in the accident? No.

Was it rendered inoperable in the accident? No.
Like I said, I would MUCH rather have a nuke plant a half mile down the road than an oil rig off the shore.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
denninger had a good post at market ticker on the subject, also as a florida resident:

(quote)
I supported drilling right here, right now when I moved here, I have written extensive on this in Musings before I started The Market Ticker, I have supported drilling here on this blog, and I still do.

Why?

Because without energy sources we do not have an economy and essentially everything these days contains plastics - which are made of oil. Our food is grown using diesel fuel to cultivate, plant and harvest it. Fertilizers are made from natural gas.

We can live in a cave or we can live in a modern society. Either way we take risks - in a cave you risk freezing to death, among other things. In a modern society you risk the possibility of environmental damage.

Unlike most of the people in this debate, I accept the risks that come with energy exploration and development, because all of the alternatives come with risks that are at least as high, and may be higher.

I have long supported nuclear power, for example, despite living downwind from Fermi I as a child - the only plant in the history of nuclear power the United States that ever threatened to go supercritical (no, Three Mile Island did not.) Even though I would have almost certainly been killed had they lost control of the core in that plant, I would still vote for a nuclear plant to be built 10 miles upwind of me - right now, right here, today.

All choices comes with risks and costs, along with the benefits. In this case we have a society and economy that are absolutely dependent on energy. We can try to deny the reasons why liquid hydrocarbons fuel our planes, boats, cars and trucks, but what we can't reasonably do, today, is change that, and there is plenty of reason to believe from a simple study of thermodynamics that no such realistic option will present itself during my lifetime.

This is a matter of thermodynamics - that is, physical laws, not desires, wants, or so-called 'innovations" or the lack thereof.

So yes, folks, I still think - today, with the possibility that we will have oiled beaches this weekend right here, right now, in my back yard, that we should indeed Drill Baby Drill. (end)

the market ticker forum also had some interesting comments and a spirited debate on the subject.
Let's have a referendum in each coastal state and let the residents decide if they want to gamble with it.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 AM

296 posts, read 273,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Like I said, I would MUCH rather have a nuke plant a half mile down the road than an oil rig off the shore.
Chernboyl is the place for you then

bon voyage!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have 2 cars and I would rather pay more for gas than have Tybee Island marred by an oil slick. The risk is not worth it.

The probelm is that willmean payingmore for gas and a much reduced economy overall because of teh large outflow of dollars. Energy is going to just get higher and hgher in cost as its is.Alternative when feasible in the future are going to cost a ton especailly as we have to devolpment like 19000 other alternative for products from crude. There is no optio to teh risk juct like we will be going to nuclear more and more like other countries to keep elctricity affordable. They stopped production in the past for simil;ar eason and how look how far we are behind with not many affrosable options or even cleaner. We seem to panic at very trun and are dirven by emtion rather than common sense and survival.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,771 times
I am going to say this again....south Louisiana is taking the brunt of this event as south Louisiana always has in order to power the rest of America.
Our coastline cannot withstand this event....so America either pay up for the last 70 years of environmental damage and you can drill, but you don't get to play games with the future of my state since you aren't a citizen of it.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:14 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I am going to say this again....south Louisiana is taking the brunt of this event as south Louisiana always has in order to power the rest of America.
Our coastline cannot withstand this event....so America either pay up for the last 70 years of environmental damage and you can drill, but you don't get to play games with the future of my state since you aren't a citizen of it.
New prison sentence, a summer working at Butte la Rose without Deep Woods Off or any other DEET mosquito repellant.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
New prison sentence, a summer working at Butte la Rose without Deep Woods Off or any other DEET mosquito repellant.
Mud works great. How do you think the Indians did it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies