Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be ONLY English signs in our stores?
YES, this is America, not Spanish-speaking country 153 57.95%
No, we have 50 million Hispanic's in the U.S. 77 29.17%
I don't care 34 12.88%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:18 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
I want LEGAL CITIZENS to march and boycott and GIVE A DAMN.

If you are an American born, legal citizen, and you willfully condone the presence of ILLEGAL ALIENS in this country, I consider you a TRAITOR. (Or should I have put that in YELLOW?)
Wow, you sure have a bug in your britches don't you? Reading through your other posts you seem to be on a tirade about illegal immigrants, and other minority groups. Just have to ask, do you guys still wear your full hoods when you march, or is that just for photo ops?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
I want LEGAL CITIZENS to march and boycott and GIVE A DAMN.

If you are an American born, legal citizen, and you willfully condone the presence of ILLEGAL ALIENS in this country, I consider you a TRAITOR. (Or should I have put that in YELLOW?)
So then those business owners that employ the illegal aliens should be arrested for treason?

I could go along with that.

They are nearly all white and Republican, by the way.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
its funny how theres 40 that voted for no spanish in signs, and 19 that voted FOR spanish in signs adn 8 don't care.

where are the overwhelming masses saying don't include spanish in signs?

people are voting and not justifying their vote because the majority of comments are logically showing equality towards legal immigrants because it doesn't hurt anyone.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:25 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
What's funny is that the majority who demand English-only live in areas of the nation that basically speaks only English and nearly all signs are in English. In other regions of the U.S. with large Spanish-speaking populations and\ or where Asian languages are spoken could care less. There are so many non-English signs advertising businesses or products in Los Angeles that the hayseeds from the rural America would probably have a heart attack. If there are many and diverse ethnic differences it is only natural that the signs would reflect that. Only insecure people who have a very narrow world view are offended by other languages. But these are the same people who are offended by anything that frightens them and tend to be Republican reactionaries.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
So long as you understand what the sign means, why should you care in what language it is written? If you don't understand ask someone that does. You are responsible for what you know, not the sign painter.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
If you have problems with the Spanish language being put on signs than does that mean nearly all the cities in California and the Southwest will need to change their names to English? So Los Angeles should just be called The Angels and San Francisco should be Saint Francis?

I don't think the OP has been out and about in America, esp California where signs in Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Tagalog, Chinese are everywhere. It doesn't bother anyone out here.
Wrong. In fact, you couldn't be any more wrong which happens to occur alot with you. I spend ALOT of time near Pasadena and in Pasadena. Alot of my buddies live in Temple City. Just a hop, skip, and jump from Pasadena. All of my buddies from all different ethnicities can't stand signs in other languages. From several countries in S. America to a few in Asia. Every single out of them hate how many people here keep to their ethnic markets instead of joining the rest of the population.

The only places allowed to have multiple languages are tourist attractions. I remember when I went to the Sears Tower, there was a sign with like 12 different languages.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:03 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
The only places allowed to have multiple languages are tourist attractions.
Wrong. In fact you couldn't be more wrong. I don't know how often this occurs with you.

How is it that you want the government to restrict freedom of speech by forbidding businesses from using language understandable by their customers?

How about this?

Old 05-05-2010, 03:41 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Wrong. In fact you couldn't be more wrong. I don't know how often this occurs with you.

How is it that you want the government to restrict freedom of speech by forbidding businesses from using language understandable by their customers?

How about this?
I mean to say the only places where I find it acceptable are tourist attractions. Businesses can do what they want but I rarely ever go to a place with a different language as its sign. All of my buddies feel the same exact way. Its common knowledge here if you don’t speak the language at the restaurant, they will give you lesser quality food. This is especially true in Asian restaurants where there is no way you can guess what it states. I have heard this on the radio and been told by Asian friends, “do not go to Asian restaurants without an Asian.”

Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yooork View Post
I'm not racist or anything, and don't get wrong; Spanish is a beautiful language. BUT, it's very annoying when I read Spanish signs below English in our stores, packages etc.
I don't care if nearly 50 million hispanics speaks Spanish, they should learn English. This is America, a English speaking country, not Spanish speaking country. I don't think they even care about learning English because they have Spanish signs and speakers everywhere.
I'm also sick & tired of going to stores and accociates not being able to Speak English, or speaking Spanish with accociates. They even speak Spanish with me directly without asking if I speak the language or not. It's very rude and annoying for us who don't speak Spanish.

So please, do NOT include Spanish in signs at stores or anywhere else!
If they are including Spanish, then include French too!
We have Canada north of us!
OMG you people are so ignorant.

SPANISH WAS THE FIRST EUROPEAN LANGUAGE SPOKEN IN THE U.S.

The Spanish discovered this land.

The Spanish and English language are part of our history and culture.

The first European blooded child born in the U.S. was a Spanish blooded child born in saint augustine, F L O R I D A.

Even 1 section of the name of our country is written in Spanish:

United States of A M E R I C A

Old 05-05-2010, 05:58 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
OMG you people are so ignorant.

The Spanish discovered this land.
Well...no

There were already people here when anyone who could really be called 'Spanish' arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I mean to say the only places where I find it acceptable are tourist attractions.

So when tourists come to America they should only go to Niagara Falls and avoid restaurants, bars, etc?

Quote:
Businesses can do what they want but I rarely ever go to a place with a different language as its sign.
As is your right. I think that business owners deserve the right to decide if more customers come to an establishment with signs in multiple languages or English only

Quote:
I have heard this on the radio and been told by Asian friends, “do not go to Asian restaurants without an Asian.”
Indubitable proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies