Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:44 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I don't get this sorry. Shouldn't being able to afford heath care be something you figure out before you have kids?

What an absurd statement. People have kids and then lose jobs. Not all pregnancies are planned. There are a myriad of reasons why one might have children and no health insurance. Are you really that obtuse about how difficult it can be to get oneself insured?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 11:03 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
Not all pregnancies are planned. There are a myriad of reasons why one might have children and no health insurance. Are you really that obtuse about how difficult it can be to get oneself insured?
Right not all preganacies are planned, but they should be. If you don't have health insurance then you shouldn't have kids, I as a tax payer don't want to pay for people to have kids when they can't afford them.

Also, I have gotten health insurance without any problem more than once despite having medical problems. I currently have a HSA style plan that runs about 70 bucks a month. Most people aren't aware of the products that are out there (like HSAs) or even what the government offers. But I guess I'm just "obtuse".

Old 06-16-2007, 12:39 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Right not all preganacies are planned, but they should be. If you don't have health insurance then you shouldn't have kids, I as a tax payer don't want to pay for people to have kids when they can't afford them.

Also, I have gotten health insurance without any problem more than once despite having medical problems. I currently have a HSA style plan that runs about 70 bucks a month. Most people aren't aware of the products that are out there (like HSAs) or even what the government offers. But I guess I'm just "obtuse".
What about those of us who are too wealthy for the state plans, but not quite wealthy enough to afford high premiums on private insurance? That's the predicament I was in, since I don't come anywhere near qualifying for government assistance... so yes, you are being slightly "obtuse", especially since many of us have told you our PERSONAL struggles with this. And yes, I was rejected for having minor conditions, despite what you think happens... the proof is in the pudding, since as I said, this caused me to be uninsured for over a year. I'm perfectly aware of what options/products are out there, since my attorney sister helped me through the whole process - and even she had trouble finding someone to insure me. Thankfully I'm now in a full-time government job, which offers awesome benefits (still at a fairly high price, though). But there are still WAY too many people without insurance, or with plans that cover nothing... so I'll say it again, something needs to change.

P.S. I just read a little about the HSA plan, and I wouldn't have qualified for that either - not only because of my family's financial status, but also because I didn't work AT ALL for a few years (while in school), and those are employment-related benefits. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, since I only read a short article, but it seems that wouldn't have helped me.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
It certainly hasn't for mine!
Tim and his family probably has never had to use the major medical part of thier policy ! Boy are they going to have fun when they do....

Old 06-16-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What about those of us who are too wealthy for the state plans, but not quite wealthy enough to afford high premiums on private insurance?
The premiums are only high if you don't know how to shop for insurance. For example suppose you are in your low 30's in California. Blue Shield will charge you $132 a month for a high deductible (2400) HSA plan or they will charge and these people $400 for their 500 deductible PPO plan. Now the worst case under the HSA plan is that you pay the 2400 deductible, in which case your total medical costs would be $332 where as the worst case under the 500 PPO plan would be $442 a monty. Notice, though this is the WORST case and its still dramatically less. If you only go for basic office visits the HSA plan will be way cheaper. But the HSA requires responsiblity (you have to contribute to it) something that seems to no longer exist in american society.

Also, I don't know about your situation. If you didn't have previous coverage and didn't want a waiting period for your pre-existing conditions then certainly many companies would deny you. Its certainly easier to get coverage if you currently have coverage. Regardless, I've had no problems despite having a major medical condition nor have others I know.

Quote:
But there are still WAY too many people without insurance
Sure, but I find its usually out of ignorance rather than any problem with the health care system. This isn't to say there aren't problems, but the problems are more so with people with very costly medical problems etc. So some sort of "safety net" needs to be in place for these people. I have no problem with "safety net" style policies, but I hate nanny-state policies like universal health care.

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, since I only read a short article, but it seems that wouldn't have helped me.
Yes you are misunderstanding it. HSA were added to the tax code in 2003, they work like an IRA but for heath care. Basically you can make tax free contributions to it so long as you use it for health care. In order to open a HSA you just need to 1.) Not qualify for government coverage (so for example no folks over 65), 2.) Have a qualifying high deductible policy. Anybody can sign up for a HSA compatible insurance policy its not just available via employers.

The idea is that you pay for your common health care out of pocket from you HSA and use your insurance for anything major. So it only works for people that know how to save money, if you put 50~100 bucks a month into your HSA it works out great.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
You know, I'm one who's absolutely "SICK Of" the slams Mr. Moore receives from misguided people, those that invent cute slanders like "mooron" and such. Mr. Moore is no moron. His movies and books are well-documented, fact-checked, and verified. That he reaches conclusions you don't like is what gets under your skin. That's no reason to slander or attack him personally. Offer your version of reality and make a movie of it if you want to accomplish something.

If you had a cause pitting your 'pitiful' self against a huge corporation or government, admit it, you'd want him by your side. And yet, we have people on these threads who scream about how fat he is and how disingenuous he is for making a movie about health care when he appears to be in such need of it himself. Personal attacks show a complete lack of civility.

I don't always agree with his conclusions, but two people viewing the same facts don't always lead to the same conclusion, hence this thread about the apparent poor quality of Cuba's health care.

I found this article today talking about how Mr. Moore (a millionaire, something people also seem to despise about him) had the wherewithal to help one of his enemies, a man who runs an anti-Moore website. The guy still opposes Mr. Moore's methods (like a lot of people out there) but, you gotta hand it to Michael Moore: he's doing more good than most people out there and we need that kind of inspiration. Here's the link:

Why Michael Moore Helped Save Enemy Site - Newsweek Entertainment - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113385/site/newsweek/ - broken link)

Last edited by mhouse2001; 06-16-2007 at 04:11 PM..

Old 06-17-2007, 05:39 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
What Michael Mooron isn't showing you.

Hospital Clínico Quirúrgico

Here is an example of Cuba's "magnificent" "free" health care facilities.
He should retire from his career.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:10 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,120 times
I m sorry. saw the film and it wasn't all about Cuba this and that. It was about how the American government avoids helping out it's people unlike the socialized nations of Canada, UK, france, all of the western world including Japan.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:27 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
[quote=Humanoid;897072]The premiums are only high if you don't know how to shop for insurance.

[quote]

SORRY, your wrong there...for people who have pre-existing conditions...they will pump up your costs of coverage if your taking medication or other treatment for that condition at the time you change plans...

Old 06-17-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
SORRY, your wrong there...for people who have pre-existing conditions...they will pump up your costs of coverage if your taking medication or other treatment for that condition at the time you change plans...
What am I wrong about? I never stated that you won't pay more for pre-existing conditions. I stated the opposite in fact, for example I pay 25% more due to my pre-existing condition.

My point was that if you know how to shop for insurance you can save yourself a lot of money, my example shows this. What you said dones't refute that. You'll pay roughly the same % increase with either plan. Anyhow the interesting question is why does the insuracne company offer two products that do the same where one is dramatically cheaper? Obviously many people are still interested in the more costly plan, but why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies