Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Its one thing not to teach them everything right away. Its another thing to teach them flat out lies.
Then I suggest you homeschool and teach them the way you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then I suggest you homeschool and teach them the way you want.
I don't have kids, but I happen to live in an area that is noted for having the best public schools in the country, so it really isn't an issue.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytexan View Post
it's a push to be more global and less nationalistic.

Global citizens, global economy, global labor force, global companies. The youth of today will be taught to be global citizens of tomorrow.
this...i personally don't see the issue.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Today I have learned how irresponsible our public school systems can truly be.

I got a phone call from my little brothers high school teacher, she told me that he was not behaving in class and was cursing. And that she reported it to the principal.

I talked to my little brother, he denied the whole thing. Not believing him right away because who would've guessed that a teacher would be the one lying over a high school teenager? I called the principal, he confirmed that the teacher has received criticism from so many parents for over exaggerating the truth. Apparently she is being removed next year, and she wasn't supposed to be a teacher anyways. She came here from Spain two months before the school year started and barely knew any English, yet she was able to speak perfect English on the phone with me when she improperly accused my brother of doing things he did not.

I don't know where our country is heading but teachers have a large impact on what our youth "thinks" of today. I still remember most of my teachers, the way they taught me, still stays, the way I read maps, the way I write, the way I do most things when research is taken into consideration is a reflection of what I have been taught.

I hope we get our act together and focus on our educational system, we're lagging behind Asian countries for a reason. We have to act like we care, need to vote the people who make differences into school board offices, not the ones who just know how to talk and not back it up, the future of America's youth relies on it.

I know it's off topic, but something similar happened to my son. His high school guitar teacher accused him of breaking a guitar. The incident happened when he was absent due to surgery on his leg. Someone had stepped on the neck of the guitar and broke it in half then said my son did it. When I confronted the school I got the run around. I spoke to one of the principals, the counselor, but the teacher would not speak with me. They told me they would take the charge off. A couple of months later they wouldn't give my son his report card because the charge was still showing. I called up the school talked to the principal and got more run around. I had to be irrate and yell and curse at the principal. He hung up on me, but he took the charge off.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
From what I am reading then, those who agree with this kind of teaching would agree when children are taught about Clinton's presidency they should start with the Monica Lewinsky scandal and delve into it in detail, then tell the children what good he did.

Agree? Disagree? Children need to know the truth and the whole truth. Do not whitewash anything.

We don't have to say the she s****d his penis, but we can say the the republicans tried to have him impeached because he had an extramarital affair.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I don't think teaching 10 year olds cynicism and bad poetry is ever appropriate.

I am sorry for the OP- it is right to be concerned- and if I were him/her I would certainly investigate this with the school.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
My 5th grader came home from school with this poem given to her by her teacher. The poem is representative of what she is being taught about our country and its leaders:

How to be Thomas Jefferson
by Barry Lane

Write like an angel.
Live in your mind.
Have your heart broken many times.
Declare all men equal,
and never release your 200 slaves.
Buy lots of real estate from Frenchmen
without looking at it.
Live beyond your means
and owe lots of money.
Never finish the house
that years later will appear
on the back side of a nickel.

I will agree that the poem is a bit too cynical for the 5th grade level.

It is important to learn about the "warts" of our leaders.... so long as the practice is applied equally among the heroes of the left and the right.
Even famous civil rights leaders had sordid affairs... I wonder if MLK's paramours would make it into a primary school poem in the near future? Or Che Guevara's murderous rampages in Cuba?

5th grade may be too early for a lot of this stuff.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I disagree with Hollytree. In this society cynicism is a necessary defense mechanism against the rampant hypocrisy in corporations and government. Childern should be taught very early that what somebody says is good for them is probably good for the teacher not the child. For example: How do you know an advertisement is lying? It's on TV. Another example” “…with equal opportunity for All.”

Old 05-20-2010, 11:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I disagree with Hollytree. In this society cynicism is a necessary defense mechanism against the rampant hypocrisy in corporations and government. Childern should be taught very early that what somebody says is good for them is probably good for the teacher not the child. For example: How do you know an advertisement is lying? It's on TV. Another example” “…with equal opportunity for All.”
Teach your kids this; QUESTION EVERYTHING. Then you won't have a problem.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I will agree that the poem is a bit too cynical for the 5th grade level.

It is important to learn about the "warts" of our leaders.... so long as the practice is applied equally among the heroes of the left and the right.
Even famous civil rights leaders had sordid affairs... I wonder if MLK's paramours would make it into a primary school poem in the near future? Or Che Guevara's murderous rampages in Cuba?

5th grade may be too early for a lot of this stuff.
Absolutely. I felt it was mockery and inappropriate but as you point out, it is also too "cynical" for 10 year olds. I think I am beginning to understand why the kids at this school seem more surely and somehow more neurotic than we have seen at our old school. I think this stuff is too much at a young age.

Thanks for a good post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies