Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:20 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,027,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Most Americans are centrists- I agree. That is why they are rejecting the policies of Obama, who was the most far left senator and is currently the most far left president to ever hold office.

A few points-

1. The majority of citizens opposed Obamacare
2. The majority of citizens wanted some form of healthcare reform, but not Obamacare
3. Text books have and always will discuss the slave trade
4. Text books should not engage in revisionist history (as they have for the last decade) and give disproportionate coverage to leftist agendas at the expense of real history.

I have kids and have looked at thier textbooks. It is an outrage. The women's rights movement and the civil rights movements are given CHAPTERS, while there is less than half a page about Lincoln and Washington. Further, ww1 (the sentinental defining event of the 20the century that shaped the rest of the century) is completely ignored, as is the Korean War. Vietnam is primarily devoted to discussion of Kent State and protesting, and not the tactical theater of operation in the Cold War that it was.

My uncle (who is not much older than me) was a 101st Airborne ranger from Vietnam (wounded and decorated) who taught 6th grade social studies for 30 years after Vietnam. He would show me the current text books used in the public school system and was SHOCKED at how history has been revised and manipulated my the leftist publishers. He took every text book and removed some chapters and added handouts with real discussion of history from older textbooks. The parents loved it and were happy that someone took the time to tell the truth, rather than the propaganda. He left teaching this year, as he became disgusted with what the public schools have become- leftist indoctrinization camps.

Thanks goodness that Texas and Arizona have finally had enough and are taking the leftists to task.
You are absolutely correct about the textbooks. I, too, have kids in the public school and have been flabbergasted at the propaganda and indoctrination that goes on. Eight pages devoted to someone named Lydia Luddington and 1 paragraph about George Washington. No teaching about Thomas Jefferson except the passing out of a disparaging, mocking, cynical poem about him. Exercises encouraging the students to write mocking parodies of the Pledge of Allegiance...Children should be taught facts; not political indoctrination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 08:27 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,178,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Texas board adopts new social studies curriculum - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/ap_on_re_us/us_texas_schools_social_studies - broken link)

"AUSTIN, Texas – The Texasadopted a social studies and history curriculum Friday that amends or waters down the teaching of the civil rights movement, slavery, America's relationship with the U.N. and hundreds of other items.

The standards will refer to the U.S. government as a "constitutional republic," rather than "democratic," and students will be required to study the decline in the value of the U.S. dollar, including the abandonment of the gold standard."

So, in Texas, they'll be teaching kids to be conservatives instead of teaching them actual American History. Pathetic.
Would these be the text books that Jeb and Barbara Bush had something to do with ??? I remember they were involved in something to do with selling school books....

Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,507,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
You are absolutely correct about the textbooks. I, too, have kids in the public school and have been flabbergasted at the propaganda and indoctrination that goes on. Eight pages devoted to someone named Lydia Luddington and 1 paragraph about George Washington. No teaching about Thomas Jefferson except the passing out of a disparaging, mocking, cynical poem about him. Exercises encouraging the students to write mocking parodies of the Pledge of Allegiance...Children should be taught facts; not political indoctrination.
What is being done in Texas is political indoctrination.....

Old 05-23-2010, 01:13 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Which book is that?

Old 05-23-2010, 01:27 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,280,281 times
wow, nice step back for Texas.

But hey, at least my children will learn the truth; not some watered down conservative crap that teaches nothing but lame attempts to water down actual events that had an impact on American History.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 PM

774 posts, read 1,165,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I am exceedingly happy that the liberal agenda is finally being fought back against in Texas' schools (a.k.a. propaganda factories). Now if conservatives can maintain control for 40 years things will be equal adn, as an added bonus, kids might actually learn something.
I think 95% of history can be understood by two things: inventions and wars. Technology and the ability to win wars are what has shaped human history since the first caveman picked up a rock and I don't see it being any differnt in the future. History should concentrate on inventions and discoveries and wars. Of course that doesn't fit he liberal agenda since most things were invented by White people and White people won (not neccessarily started) most of the wars.
Your ultra-narrow view of history reminds me of the mindset of a conservative-minded good friend of mine back in California.

If you really believe that 95% of history can be understood (not sure what you mean by "understood") through war and technology, then you might want to expand your reading of histroy to include more than wars and technology.

Going forward without quite knowing what you mean by your "history can be understood by two things..." assertion, I offer you the following thoughts for your research and subsequent (hopefully) enlightenment.

While wars and technology have certainly played a significant role in history (focus on U.S. History), it is intellectually dishonest to relegate the role of people and social/labor movements, and the law to an insignificant role (5%) in the history of this country.

Major events that shaped the history of this country, both before and after the Civil War, had little to do with war or technology. It's more a matter of politics, white supremacy and racism, and the law.
  • The founding of this country was driven largely by the desire of group of people to break away from (among other things) the religious opression of England. Yes, I acknowledge that a war was fought over this, but the war was the means, not the end.
  • I won't go into any detail here, but recall the Missouri Compromise and the Dred Scott Decision. Tremendous impact on history.
  • The institution of slavery in the United States was driven in large part by the greed of land owners and farmers, particularly cotton farmers/plantation owners. It seems that these "business men" "forgot" about the compensatory aspect of capitalism (paying for labor). To enslave people (any people), especially for the purpose of financial gain, is immoral from where I sit.
  • The South fought the Civil War to maintain slavery, hiding behind the "States Rights" banner. It is more honest to acknowledge that the South went to war over cotton. The introduction of the Cotton Gin is really at the center of the the South's going to war (there's your technology and war wrapped into one). The Cotton Gin streamlined the processing of cotton, therby making it even more profitable, and creating the opportunity for greater production and an increased demand for labor. I have nothing against capitalism itself. I do, however, take great issue with these so-called entrepreneurs that resorted to enslaving, abusing, dehumanizing and killing human beings for the purpose of lining their own pockets without compensating those who made it possible. Immoral on many levels.
  • History books tell us that the Civil War was fought over slavery. The truth is that the Slavery issue was secondary. Lincoln abolished slavery in large part because he knew he could not win the war without doing so. The real issue for the North was secession and "disobedience to Dad" (Federal government). For the North, the inhumanity of slavery was not the primary issue. It was politics and economics.
  • For decades after the Civil War there were many events that shaped U.S. History that had nothing to do with technology or war:

o The Black Codes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Codes_(United_States)

Legal Definition of Black Code

Black Codes
    o Reconstruction
    o The Rise of the KKK
    o Jim Crow Laws Examples of Jim Crow Laws

o Jim Crow as it pertained to your great state of Texas
    Texas Jim Crow

o The Great Migration before and after WWI (1910-1920s)
    o The Great Migration during and after WWII.
    o The Harlem Renaissance
    o The advent of the Civil Rights Movement (1950s)
    o The period of the the greatest social upheaval and change in the
    modern history of this country - the 1960s - 1970s. The Viet
    Nam War played a significant role in this change, but it was by no
    means the only significant change during this period.
Your assertion that most things were invented by white people is laughable. Of course that's the case. For hundreds of years in this country white people were the only ones who had access to the resources needed to take an idea from conception to development to invention. Duh!!

However, to set the record straight, here is a small slice of black inventiveness you should check out:

Inventors and Inventions: African-American Inventors - EnchantedLearning.com

And here are a few more:
The History of Black Inventors

A few of their inventions:

Garrett Morgan - Traffic Signal
Garrett Morgan - Gas Mask
Charles Brooks - Street Sweeper Truck
Norbert Rillieux - Sugar Processing Evaporator
Elijah McCoy -Automatic Oiling for Machinery
James Forten - Sail Hoist
Andrew Jackson Beard - Railroad Car Coupler

Of course, I expect that the historical facts referencedhere are more than you, the Texas Education Agency, and those of your mindset can accept. You will all find a way to twist the historical truth into something that helps you perpetuate your lies and His Story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies