Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Fear is Shaping Our Children

Posted on: Tuesday, 5 September 2006, 06:00 CDT
By Patricia Pearson
"Summertime," goes that wonderful old song by the Gershwins, "and the livin' is easy."
Well, it used to be, anyway. This past one seemed fraught with peril, as they usually do, these days, for parents. Allergies, skin cancer, air pollution, injuries, drownings, heat stroke, West Nile virus ... oh my.
Gone are the golden afternoons of my own childhood, when I left the house without a hat, or sun screen, to noodle about on my bike (without a helmet) and play hide-and-seek in the bushes (without benefit of mosquito repellant or pedophile spray) and invariably stayed out until supper (which consisted of fattening foods).

Now, my children cannot exit my home from May through October unless they are dressed in the equivalent of a hazmat suit.

"Don't forget your sun block!" I find myself having to singsong each morning. "Have you removed the life-threatening peanuts (they can cause allergic reactions) from your knapsack? Did you remember your antibacterial soap? Your school meds?"
My out-the-door check list is required by camp counselors and school administrators, not by me. I'm a mom playing along. I even had an argument with my 6-year-old son about it, when he brought his bike to the park but forgot his helmet.
"I can't ride, then," he announced regretfully.

"Of course you can ride," I said. "You're hardly going to fracture your skull peddling at 2 miles per hour over the grass."
But he has heard otherwise. So, fine. Scary grass. Perhaps we can kick around a soccer ball and hope that he doesn't break his toe.
Leave the anxiety at home
I'm a rebel. I'm sorry. I don't think it's right to be conveying to my bright, robust children that they need to be anxious, at all times, and never take risks.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/644836/fear_is_shaping_our_children
/index.html</H1>

Love this article.......... man....we are raising a lot of wussified kids toady. Nobody loses.....everybody gets a ribbon. No dodge ball. Where are our next heroes gonna come from??

Now I hear that they are trying to soften the military by giving medals for "restraint???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Have you seen the documentary, "Babies."

Old 05-24-2010, 01:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Well, she's playing along, as she admits.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
All those scaredy-cat kids will make good Republicans.

They're all terrified their gay neighbors will get married and think that everyone with an accent is out to kill them.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
All those scaredy-cat kids will make good Republicans.

They're all terrified their gay neighbors will get married and think that everyone with an accent is out to kill them.
Stay on topic.

Don't make this political. Baiting just to start a political argument is one of the lowest forms of debate you can engage in.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Stay on topic.

Don't make this political. Baiting just to start a political argument is one of the lowest forms of debate you can engage in.
You know, you're right. Can I quote you on that later?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You know, you're right. Can I quote you on that later?
Absolutely.

I have never voted for a democrat or republican in my life. I have a great deal of disdain for partisan politics. I would have said the same if you ranted against liberals.

Always looking for an excuse to put the other party down is one of the most un-intellectual ways a person can approach politics.

Go ahead and quote that too.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:31 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Absolutely.

I have never voted for a democrat or republican in my life. I have a great deal of disdain for partisan politics. I would have said the same if you ranted against liberals.

Always looking for an excuse to put the other party down is one of the most un-intellectual ways a person can approach politics.

Go ahead and quote that too.

While I agree with your sentiment, I must point out that by replying you too have perpetuated that line of discussion. Darn, I went and did it too!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
/index.html</H1>

Love this article.......... man....we are raising a lot of wussified kids toady. Nobody loses.....everybody gets a ribbon. No dodge ball. Where are our next heroes gonna come from??

[b]Now I hear that they are trying to soften the military by giving medals for "restraint???

Agreed. This current generation and the next are bred to be fearful whiners. Why drive to do your best and compete when even the loser is a winner. I do think society becoming more latigious contributes to the problem. We have parents looking for a scraped knee to sue a school and make a fast buck and the whiners looking for an opportunity to be offended for a fast buck.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:39 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Default Scaring Our Kids to Death.....No Risk Takers

Not my kids. Once my neighbor actually lectured me for letting my kids play outside barefoot (while I was outside barefoot myself, actually). It didn't end very well... but my kids are still allowed to play outside without their shoes on.

But on the other hand, we don't let them get on a bike without a helmet, or sit in a car without a seatbelt on.

The moral of the story is moderation in all things. There is such a thing as being too safe, but such a thing as being not safe enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies