Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM

202 posts, read 187,289 times

Advertisements

Obama is 'retreating' to Chicago...running away....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
I'm just so mad that Obama is not going to honor our troops.
I'm just so mad that Obama is going to be the only POTUS to not honor our troops at Arlington.

Translation:
I don't like the idea that Obama is POTUS, and I'm going to continue to make non-stories seem like apocalyptic events because I would rather see the US fail than see Obama succeed. Truly pathetic.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:14 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
I don't know why he is doing this but I think he makes a mistake.
That's not going to look good and America will notice.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 PM

563 posts, read 518,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
President Obama is not going to Arlington National Cemetary for Memorial Day.....

President Obama and Mrs. Obama are planning on going back to Chicago to hang out at their home for Memorial Day weekend. On Monday, May 31, 2010, Memorial Day, Obama is attending a ceremony at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Illinois. Then the first family will jet back to Washington to prepare for the Wednesday, June 2, tribute to Paul McCartney in the East Room at the Whitehouse.

V.P. Joe Biden and his wife will a lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Memorial Day.

How do you feel about this?
Michelle Malkin » AP: Obama to Skip Wreath Laying Ceremony at Arlington on Monday

All Presidents have done this! You are the one that sends these men and women off to battle......But you don't go and pay honor to them on Memorial Day at Arlington?????????

That just shows how he really feels about the military in general, to me. He only deals with them when he has to.

What an insult to the families of soldiers that were killed even this week.
It ticks me off to no end. BUT, let me ask you this.......Does this REALLY surprise you? I mean after the NON JOB he has done since in office and the way he disgraced this Country already, are you really surprised by this?

I'm not. I actually expect something like this from Czar Obama.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,515 times
On Memorial Day, Vice President Joe Biden will handle the somber duty of laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery, while President Obama will mark the day at a national cemetery back home in Illinois.

I hope he remembers to go and how to get there.

Also hope he doesn't drop the "F" Bomb.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Obama should be at Arlington for Memorial Day.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Out of curiosity, is this the first time the sitting pres has NOT attended the ceremony at Arlington?
Of course not. If they are in town they go to Arlington, if not, they send the VP. Reagan didn't always go, Bush didn't always go etc. This is just another faked outrage over nothing and another example why this board is becoming a waste of time.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-25-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
I'm glad he's skipping the laying of the wreath. Obama is not worthy of that honor.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 PM

201 posts, read 235,628 times
Generally the POTUS goes to ANC twice a year for the wreath laying at the Tomb of the Unknowns and a speech in the amphitheater following --- Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

There was at least once in the previous administration when the POTUS skipped out on Veteran's Day, that was 2007 I think (was when the VP did it). I think he also missed a Memorial Day near the end, but I had moved away and no longer went to the ceremonies (cost prohibitive to travel really)

This can be easily confirmed with google news searches, but it will take quite a while to run down the events from years prior since they all run together in searching. If someone (like a good reporter) would just log in to Lexis/Nexis or Vocus or Critical Mention and do a little work, the critics would see who all "missed the wreath laying" over the years. I know other administrations had stand ins for the POTUS on those two days, like the VP or Secreary of Defense.

Should Mr. Obama go this year? Well no. Not now that it is planned for him not do go. It would be a reversal. Should he have thought of the political implications of skipping out this year? probably.

It's a real shame that this event is tarnished by the vile political mess on the right (and to a lesser extent by the left when Mr. Bush was in office and used the fact he didn't attend Soldier funerals there as ammunition)

The fact he isn't going this time is really not that big of a deal. The fact that the POTUS takes vacations is not a big deal either since he's always plugged in.

The hypocrisy of the right on this is sad, but the left goes after the republican presidents when they have a "vacation" (they never, ever unplug).

Last edited by alleged return of serfdom; 05-25-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleged return of serfdom View Post
Generally the POTUS goes to ANC twice a year for the wreath laying at the Tomb of the Unknowns and a speech in the amphitheater following --- Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

There was at least once in the previous administration when the POTUS skipped out on Veteran's Day, that was 2007 I think (was when the VP did it). I think he also missed a Memorial Day near the end, but I had moved away and no longer went to the ceremonies (cost prohibitive to travel really)

This can be easily confirmed with google news searches, but it will take quite a while to run down the events from years prior since they all run together in searching. If someone (like a good reporter) would just log in to Lexis/Nexis or Vocus or Critical Mention and do a little work, the critics would see who all "missed the wreath laying" over the years. I know other administrations had stand ins for the POTUS on those two days, like the VP or Secreary of Defense.

Should Mr. Obama go this year? Well no. Not now that it is planned for him not do go. It would be a reversal. Should he have thought of the political implications of skipping out this year? probably.

It's a real shame that this event is tarnished by the vile political mess on the right (and to a lesser extent by the left when Mr. Bush was in office and used the fact he didn't attend Soldier funerals there as ammunition)

The fact he isn't going this time is really not that big of a deal. The fact that the POTUS takes vacations is not a big deal either since he's always plugged in.

The hypocrisy of the right on this is sad, but the left goes after the republican presidents when they have a "vacation" (they never, ever unplug).

It is interesting that you blame "the right" for the misbehavior of Obama. There is no conservative who compelled Obama to skip this event, and thus show disdain for fallen war dead. Obama did this himself.

When will the left and Obama finally accept repsonsibility for thier actions. Obama is the first president to skip the Memorial Day service. It was obviously crafted as a political statement. As many (not all) on the left are constantly embarassed by Obama's behavior, they follow his cue and blame someone else for his behavior. This is truely reprehensible and childish behavior, yet this is what we have come to expect from this thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies