Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:00 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Who gives a rat's ass?

This is America. We are a CONSTITUTIONAL Democracy.

This is not mob rule.

It's know as freedom of religion.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

Leave if you don't like it.
How about a republic, not a democracy, fool....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 08:06 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Who gives a rat's ass?

This is America. We are a CONSTITUTIONAL Democracy.

This is not mob rule.

It's know as freedom of religion.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

Leave if you don't like it.
Denying the construction of 1 mosque prohibits the free exercise thereof???

Putting a mosque there is like putting a statue of Emperor Hirohito or Yamamato on the USS Arizona memorial

Old 05-26-2010, 08:11 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post

Putting a mosque there is like putting a statue of Emperor Hirohito or Yamamato on the USS Arizona memorial
Exactly.

Your bigoted remarks make the case for the fact the proposed building is being challenged only because it is a Mosque.

Last edited by padcrasher; 05-26-2010 at 08:19 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

It is NOTHING like that. Or do you have some kind of evidence that Feisal Rauf or anyone his congregation was involved in the September 11 attacks? If so, you should present it.

The truth about the 'mosque': The leader of proposed Muslim center near Ground Zero defends his plan

Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:

Seriously, where did you fail to be taught the basics of the First Amendment?

Liberty University perhaps?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times
What about "public safety", theirs.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
This really bothers me down deep. I admit, I'm not the most political-minded person, and this is being made a political issue by many, but what scares me is this; This slap in the face of the US, it appears, is going to happen. What's frightening is, if New Yorkers are willing to let this happen without putting up a big fight, this country is in bigger trouble than we realize. New Yorkers are among the toughest people in this country and if they lay down and take it, how much more will we bend over for? The list is growing longer by the day.

We'll fight tooth and nail to have the Ten Commandments removed from public view, fight to block all kinds of building proposals in certain areas, fight to remove someone's right to read their bible where they choose, but this issue with this mosque seems to be no big deal to enough US citizens. I'm at a total loss on this one. I just don't get it.

It's not about building a mosque, imo. They can build them all day long as far as I'm concerned, but to put it where radical islam took the lives of thousands is an atrocity, a slap in the face and it's disgraceful that we're allowing it to happen.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:10 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I have realitives who live there, believe me all N.Y.'S are not on board with this whole thing happening. So many don't want this to happen, feel this is a slap in the face to them.
Well people who can't differ between extremists and people living their faith shouldn't be listened to too closely anyway, so it all works out.

It's being built 2 blocks away from Ground Zero, it's not like they're putting it on top of the museum they plan on building there.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
At present I am not up to speed on this. I just caught some segments from yesterdays meeting. The airing of opinions was intense.

Bloomberg took the high road when asked if there would/should be an investigation of the source of the funding--religious freedom.

I think that the investigation would be warranted.

NYC Mayor Bloomberg against investigation into Cordoba mosque near Ground Zero

Very glad this isn't a issue for my community. Some NYCer's had very deep feelings in one forum a year after 911. I can only conclude that the majority of residents would prefer that the landmark building remain and this project would never have full support--an interfaith community center.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:10 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
Quote:

Part 1: Yes

Part 2: Since when is Emperor Hirohito or Yamamato a religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies