Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 09:21 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Only 2 Republicans can't look at themselves in the mirror tonight without getting sick.

I know 4 or 5 men in DC that won't be happy to see this vote. They wanted to do some surveying among the members of the military to see what the membership wanted to do. Oh well, there are a goodly number of Congresspersons who can take the place of those who want out because of this vote.

Those 4 or 5 are the top men in the various services who made their feelings known today, in case you don't know.
They don't "survey" the military to see what the military wants to do in a given situation. The military is TOLD what to do by the command structure at the top of which is the President of the United State of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 09:21 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
1) If the gays are joining the military for patriotic reasons, what the hell does their sexuality have to do with it?..Why is anyone's sex life or preference a factor in the military?...People don't care, they have their own lives.

The fact that the gays want to make an issue of it, and have their sexuality "protected" indicates that perhaps their motive is to be "protected" from prosecution for any "situations" that may arise...

Gay people didn't make an issue of it, the military did when it singled them out.

Gay people don't want "protection", they want "equality"...you know, the right to be like everyone else.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 AM

66 posts, read 78,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Gay people didn't make an issue of it, the military did when it singled them out.

Gay people don't want "protection", they want "equality"...you know, the right to be like everyone else.
But they arnt like everyone else.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I left the Navy in 07. I served on board subs. Look, I dont hate gay people. Their lifestyle im not thrilled about and find odd to say the least, but as long as they arent flamboyant and want to throw how gay they are in everyones face, I could care less.

Having said that, I would not want to be on board a sub serving with men who are gay. Technically, should they not have separate birthing/shower areas for gays verse straight? Sure, we know they wont, but If I know "Fred" is gay, whether I not he is "attracted" to me is a mute point, I wouldnt want to be in a berthing area with him, nor in the head with him.

And whats going to happen when a guy is drying off or whatever, and a known gay crew member purposely or accidentally "meat gazes"? Or a known gay man accidentally touches another straight crew member the wrong way? Sexual harassment? Beat down?

I dont think its the worst decision in the world, but it could get ugly. And frankly, im glad to not having to serve anymore. But that goes beyond this, but this would just be another reason I think I got out at the right time.
Should that happen, that is why they have Article 13 and court martials. It should be treated the same as a male vs female sexual harrassment charge.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
It has to go before the Senate, and I don't think there are enough votes there to pass it.
We have the votes. There are at least 2 or 3 Republicans that don't live in the stone ages that will vote for it. And it will probably be attached to a larger defense bill anyway.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 AM

66 posts, read 78,165 times
You know, think of it this way.... If you had a daughter would you want her to room with a male soldier while deployed? Or would you prefer another woman?

Most people would want their daughter with another woman, because we all (well people in the military) knows what happens downrange.....

Old 05-29-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Or maybe we should have separate facilities for gays?

Or maybe we should just make it all CoEd, everyone can shower together.

If gay men can shower with straight men, why can't straight men shower with straight women? Whats the difference?

I'm joking obviously. this is absurd.
People in the military do not spend time looking at other people's penis. That is just a red herring. Men in showers are a big different than high school gym students who size each other up.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrooster27 View Post
Yeah, they are. Grow up.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You know, think of it this way.... If you had a daughter would you want her to room with a male soldier while deployed? Or would you prefer another woman?

Most people would want their daughter with another woman, because we all (well people in the military) knows what happens downrange.....

What's your point? That has nothing to do with the issue at all.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:48 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Kudos for being a bigot.

So is bigotry the norm? I guess so, according to you. Who are you to decide how people ought to act? Did you minister tell you that last Sunday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies