Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,307,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Presidents do not introduce legislation. Presidents are the Chief Executive of the Executive Branch. Congress critters introduce legislation, since they are members of the Legislative Branch.

You might want to learn the basics about your own government and how it functions before making any more ridiculous posts like the one above.
Lets see now. Who comes up with the budget request for next year? Well, dang me that is the President. Ah yes Presidents often suggest bills that some Congress critter proposes for them. Of course, other than budgets the only thing in legislation that belongs to the Executive is approval or the opposite for bills that do get passed by Congress. The President is much more involved in legislation than they are in enforcing the law as is his job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Wow..The Russian propaganda is NOT REAL..The Sestak case has been covered to death. Lack of leadership is an opinion. Obama received less contributions than McCain. That's been everywhere. You lost me on the communist foolishness.
You didn't say one word about the points that Hawkeye posted about. Why is it so hard to discuss with liberals. They just won't talk with you but will change the topic if they can and you tried very hard there.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,463,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I guess one can conclude that we are living under a fascist when the Russians are concerned about our lack of constitutional rights. We are becoming more like the old USSR and they are becoming more like the old USA.
Your absoutely right, if i did not know better, i would think this is a dream, but this is now our reality!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,072,137 times
Don't think it can't happen.

When progressives can't win, they shut you up.

Woodrow Wilson's Sedition Act of 1918.

Look it up. I bet you think it didn't happen. What will you Obamamaniacs think when Obama shuts down free speech?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,475,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Lets see now. Who comes up with the budget request for next year? Well, dang me that is the President. Ah yes Presidents often suggest bills that some Congress critter proposes for them. Of course, other than budgets the only thing in legislation that belongs to the Executive is approval or the opposite for bills that do get passed by Congress. The President is much more involved in legislation than they are in enforcing the law as is his job.
Incorrect. See Article I, Section 7, Clause 1 of the US Constitution. The House originates all budgets, not Presidents. No legislation "belongs to the Executive", nor is his approval or signature required for any bill to become law. All laws originate in Congress. If that were ever to change, for whatever reason, Congress would have grounds to impeach the President.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,492,377 times
I have a "get-out-jail-free" card...

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM

470 posts, read 1,156,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
Ummm...given the current overcrowding in the prison system,where would all the new "convicts" be placed?
OP, if you think about the all logistics behind something like that law,you'll see why that article is ridiculous.

Or maybe you won't.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Incorrect. See Article I, Section 7, Clause 1 of the US Constitution. The House originates all budgets, not Presidents. No legislation "belongs to the Executive", nor is his approval or signature required for any bill to become law. All laws originate in Congress. If that were ever to change, for whatever reason, Congress would have grounds to impeach the President.
I will recommend that you read the rest of what the Constitution says about passing legislation. You might go ahead reading Article I, Section 7, Clause 2 since it finishes the story about legislation. It is a bit long but it is really what counts.

You are right about the House being the originator of all money bills but the practice has been for a very long time for Presidents to present their budget to the House and if there are changes they leave him sitting. What you are referring to is that all money bills have to originate in the House and can't come from the Senate.

Really you need to read Clause 2 of that Section to get the real story about how bills become laws.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Ummm...given the current overcrowding in the prison system,where would all the new "convicts" be placed?
OP, if you think about the all logistics behind something like that law,you'll see why that article is ridiculous.

Or maybe you won't.
Surely since the administration wants to close down Gitmo they could house several there and some of the other closed prisons could be repaired to house a few more of us when they come after us.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,072,137 times
Quote:
Since when does this administration respect the constitution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies