Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,310,613 times

Advertisements

A well-cared-for 944 turbo can fetch a pretty good sum, certainly relative to its NA counterparts. This is particularly true for the 1989 Turbo/1988 Turbo S (basically the same thing) putting out 250HP. A prime specimen can fetch $25-30K.

The 968 Coupe with a manual has a small but dedicated following as well, mostly due to how few 968s were made in coupe form and the lower number still that came with a manual. The convertibles are still a dime a dozen, particularly with the tiptronic.

It's absolutely stunning though how much 993s go for compared to 996s and even 997s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,088,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Porsche showed a Panamera wagon concept at last year's Paris auto show, and IMO this is what the Panamera should have looked like from day one:

That actually looks great. Much nicer than the "pooping dog" car.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,125,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I don't think any of the watercooled Porsches will be really collectible. Sure there are a few examples like the GT2 and 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
I agree, the real aficionados/collectors will probably only go for the air cooled Porsche's.
I disagree. The "real" aficionados as you put it, that only like the aircooled versions are old and not getting any younger. All Porsches since 1997 have been watercooled, and we've seen levels of performance never seen before with the brand. The 996, 997, and now 991 are of course all watercooled. The old guys propping up the pricing for the older 993 and earlier cars are dwindling in number.

The Porsche GT1 was watercooled, and most people don't know that even the 959 had watercooled heads. You can't tell me that either of those cars aren't collectible, they're probably the most expensive to buy, period.

The next round of collectible Porsches will probably be those with the Metzger derived engine... the same one used in the GT1. That's your 996/997 911 turbo and GT2.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,157,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I disagree. The "real" aficionados as you put it, that only like the aircooled versions are old and not getting any younger. All Porsches since 1997 have been watercooled, and we've seen levels of performance never seen before with the brand. The 996, 997, and now 991 are of course all watercooled. The old guys propping up the pricing for the older 993 and earlier cars are dwindling in number.

The Porsche GT1 was watercooled, and most people don't know that even the 959 had watercooled heads. You can't tell me that either of those cars aren't collectible, they're probably the most expensive to buy, period.

The next round of collectible Porsches will probably be those with the Metzger derived engine... the same one used in the GT1. That's your 996/997 911 turbo and GT2.
The 996 N/A is just a ticking time bomb. IMS failures, d chunks, coolant mixing ect. It will never collectible.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:00 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,125,321 times
996 N/A doesn't have the Metzger engine. Plus, they made a million of them.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,215,964 times
The Panamera's looks have grown on me. I am a bit surprised because I did not like it at all when it first came out.

I think this stuff about "the only true Porsche is a 911" is just stupid. It is "the classic Porsche" but I'd be disappointed if a quality carmaker couldn't make other fine vehicles.

The Panamera is probably best viewed as Porsche's answer to the S-class - but with more sport in the package. I haven't been in one, but it is apparently an awesome 4 seater. I don't think the Panamera will be a classic but it will be a desirable car for years assuming it holds up.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,310,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The Panamera's looks have grown on me. I am a bit surprised because I did not like it at all when it first came out.

I think this stuff about "the only true Porsche is a 911" is just stupid. It is "the classic Porsche" but I'd be disappointed if a quality carmaker couldn't make other fine vehicles.

The Panamera is probably best viewed as Porsche's answer to the S-class - but with more sport in the package. I haven't been in one, but it is apparently an awesome 4 seater. I don't think the Panamera will be a classic but it will be a desirable car for years assuming it holds up.
I've had the opposite reaction. I thought it was, well, at least "interesting-looking" when it first came out but the more I look at it the more it just looks awkward and disfigured.

Agreed about "the only true Porsche" bit. I mean, this is a company that built farm tractors and tried to win a government contract to churn out military jeeps. And of course the level of refinement the 911 has achieved has come courtesy of revenues brought in from those other models, especially the most-hated-by-purists Cayenne. I suppose the sale of those other models isn't as critical to the success of the 911 now that Porsche is part of the Volkswagen umbrella. But every Euro in profit brought in by the other models is a Euro that Volkswagen doesn't have to spend propping up the 911 and can help improve other models in the corporate portfolio instead.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,115,905 times
To me, the Panamera is the spiritual successor to the 928. Porsche definitely had a market for this car.

With that said, I don't see ANY Porsche since the 90's being a 'classic'. Once they went over to a mass-produced production line, they're just like any other car company.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 PM

129 posts, read 517,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I would agree on what has been brought forth by this:

The PA is the answer to an unsolicited question by Porsche. Undoubtedly the car will hold the best the German firm had to offer in terms of mechanicals and package (lets go with dimensional for this case) engineering. It may hold the best of everything available in this size and 4-seat configuration, while the looks of the car destroy every chance it may have had of being a true success story. The original design of the concept from a few posts back was along the same lines, but the execution was basically wrong. In example I suggest the Pontiac (here come the negative comments and such) Aztec concept and production model. Good idea, terrible execution.

The PA is still a good and trusty car but the appeal is almost zero, save for the Porsche crest on the hood.

As there is no appeal I rate the car as being as collectible as a yellow 914 with sheepskin covers on the aged leather. But what of the current buyers/lease payers you ask? Even the Aztec was sold on payments...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 AM

17,404 posts, read 22,152,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A well-cared-for 944 turbo can fetch a pretty good sum, certainly relative to its NA counterparts. This is particularly true for the 1989 Turbo/1988 Turbo S (basically the same thing) putting out 250HP. A prime specimen can fetch $25-30K.

The 968 Coupe with a manual has a small but dedicated following as well, mostly due to how few 968s were made in coupe form and the lower number still that came with a manual. The convertibles are still a dime a dozen, particularly with the tiptronic.

It's absolutely stunning though how much 993s go for compared to 996s and even 997s.

Look at this for insanity: Willhoit Enterprises -- Used Porsche, Used Ferrari, Used Sports Cars.
He regularly stocks 928s for insane money! A lot of his stuff is bought on ebay, brought back/cleaned up and then he scours the internet for articles about the cars/manuals/brochures and adds the extra paperwork in as if it came with the car from the original owner. Neat package to sell but not really anything of substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche