Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,200 times

Advertisements

I'm a married mother of five and planning to relocate to FLORIDA.

One of my concerns is the school system in Port Orange FL. From my research online the school of SweetWater Elementary looked, well, pretty SWEET when it came to the environment, resources, staff, and so on. I was impressed.

As a person who doesn't mind hurricanes, loves hot weather, and is part fish (so I love the beach) I'm really looking forward to the transition.

NJ is a nice place to live IMO, but it does lack a certain appeal of family and can be quite pricey.

That said, what is the housing market like in Florida? News claims that FL has one of the worst housing markets in the nation with houses being foreclosed on and some empty neighborhoods. On the upside the property taxes seem affordable, and there seems to be more family oriented neighborhoods.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 07:09 AM

3 posts, read 9,439 times
I am also moving to Port Orange this year. You don't mention when you're moving. From all sources on this site and my own personal opinion, do not move to Florida blind. What I mean is, don't pack up and move if you don't know anyone there and certainly don't move there if you don't have a job lined up and ready to go to when you get there. I will be moving there from my home state of MD. I keep reading that Spruce Creek is the best area in Port Orange. I wish you all the luck with your move.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 14,250 times
Port Orange is a great place to raise kids. I lived there for several years. The schools are good and there are a lot of nice areas. I can't really think of one bad area to live in, although, there are several great ones. I moved away from there in 2005 but feel like I will end up back there one day.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,996 times
We are also planning to move to Florida, sometime next year. I would recommend that you go to one of the real estate sites online and familiarize yourself with the market. I use zillow.com (which also tells you what a house last sold for; I frequently see houses that sold for $350k back in 2005 and are now for sale at $200k or so). Other options are Realtor.com, trulia.com, and Yahoo has a real estate section. Try to get recommendations for a realtor in Port Orange so she/he can be on the search for you as well.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,951 times
I think you might have put this thread in the wrong forum. Although Port Orange is in FL, the area is considered the Space Coast- not the treasure coast. You'd probably get more views/responses if you put this in the appropriate forum. Good luck though!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywriter View Post
I'm a married mother of five and planning to relocate to FLORIDA.

One of my concerns is the school system in Port Orange FL. From my research online the school of SweetWater Elementary looked, well, pretty SWEET when it came to the environment, resources, staff, and so on. I was impressed.

As a person who doesn't mind hurricanes, loves hot weather, and is part fish (so I love the beach) I'm really looking forward to the transition.

NJ is a nice place to live IMO, but it does lack a certain appeal of family and can be quite pricey.

That said, what is the housing market like in Florida? News claims that FL has one of the worst housing markets in the nation with houses being foreclosed on and some empty neighborhoods. On the upside the property taxes seem affordable, and there seems to be more family oriented neighborhoods.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

FYI hurricanes are less of an issue for that section of the state. The hot spots for hurricane issues is S. Florida and SW Florida which is 200+ miles south. Port Orange is closer to GA than Miami.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 14,250 times
Sweetwater Elementary was a great school when my son went there. He has since graduated high school so it's been a while. When I lived there, Port Orange prided itself on being family friendly. I raised all 4 of my boys there and never regretted it. We would probably live there today if it were closer to my husband's work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach