Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 PM

6 posts, read 11,060 times

Advertisements

just retired (along with wife) and currently living in Atlanta. But, we are originally from mid west and want to get back to a small town feel, some resturants, close to beach, (do not need fancy malls, etc. golf courses or living on water. The mrs. would like sidewalks, neighborhood feel, front porch, say hi to neighbors and does not care for the nite life. Is content to join a local club, be involved in community, lay on the beach and listen to the waves and go to bed early. Me, like some fishing, shooting pool playing cards and involvement in local fairs/activities. Both are midwest wisconsin people that are downsizing and have no interest in staying in atlanta or being in Philly (where children are). (They can by tickets in the winter and come see us.)

We heard that Vero Beach would be a good town to look at and web are planning a week visit this fall. What would be our alternatives to finding something in Vero or a close to it? I hope I have provided enough of a background about us. Oh, we are 64 and 66 and have lived in Orlando before so we are aware of the the 'no-see-ums', the summer heat and other florida weather conditions so this will not be a surprise for us.

Also, any ideas on where to stay and where to look for homes would be of great interest. We are looking at a home WITH NO POOL. been there done that. home in the the 150K - 300K range. 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage +/- 1900 sq. ft. single family residence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 AM

910 posts, read 2,220,236 times
Bruce, you sound a lot like us ! We plan to retire to Vero Beach early next year. We visited in January and LOVE this town ! It is just large enough to have most of the shopping you need, but small enough to have a small town feeling and NOT touristy. There are a lot of retired people there, not much nightlife (which is fine with us, too !).

Regarding places to stay while you visit, we really liked the Surf Club motel on the ocean. Reasonable rates, nothing fancy, but clean rooms and nice management. I think other people on this forum have recommended it as well. It's a family-owned non-chain motel and it's always nice to support that kind of business. Do a Google search for them to see their web site.

This forum is SUPER for answering questions about the Treasure Coast ! Be sure to read the past postings to get a wide range of knowledge of this area.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,797,897 times
Sounds like Stuart/Palm City would be perfect for you. If you want to be real close to the ocean, I'd recommend either Hobe Sound or Jensen Beach. I really think you should come and see for yourself, but I feel certain you won't be disappointed!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
I spent a lot of time looking around Florida looking for "my spot". I decided on Vero. It's a great place with a lot to offer. When I started looking for a home, I had trouble making a decision. Most of the homes that I liked were in gated communities. I didn't like the idea of the restrictive rules or extra expense of a HOA. I enjoy the same things you do, especially fishing. Well, to make a long story short, I wound up in Sebastian. The Inlet is the best place around to fish, camp, or just hang around the Indian River. It's a short ride to Wabasso bridge for the beaches of Orchid Island, which are gorgeous. Disney Resort of Vero is right there too. Then It's just a short scenic ride to Vero and all it has to offer. Or you can go north to Melbourne which is more urban. Sebastian is mostly traditional neighborhoods. You can find homes on 1/4, 1/2, or even 1 acre lots. The town is well run, has something for everyone, and is reasonable.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 AM

138 posts, read 233,339 times
Bruce in Atlanta, while you are visiting Vero, take a drive one county north and check out the many little towns on the Space Coast that also fit your description....Malabar, Palm Bay, etc.. Check out the Brevard County forum here on CD to get a feel for some of those towns, if you haven't already.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times
We loved VRB while we were there but we were not high flyin' retiree's....LOL. Fishing, picnics and/or walking the beach, occaional dinner out, a movie, sometimes theatre. A little expensive but, doable. Good luck.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 PM

152 posts, read 465,833 times
Taxes are higher in Vero/cross over to saint Lucie county, near vero...save a little money and still use Vero as your home town...

Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 11,060 times
Default making the trip

Well, we are making the first house hunting trip 4/7/13, to Vero Beach area and have narrowed are search down to Vero beach in the north to port st. Lucie in the south (based on internet searches only) And, of course the Mrs.'s desires.

we have a list of areas and a few resales to look at in the 175-225K range, along with some new construction. (is there a big difference in insurance costs between new/older homes?). Oh, and is the southern area of Vero 'better' than than the area north of the airport?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbay View Post
Taxes are higher in Vero/cross over to saint Lucie county, near vero...save a little money and still use Vero as your home town...
That's not true. If you compare apples to apples Vero is about the same or cheaper in my experience.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce in Atlanta View Post
Well, we are making the first house hunting trip 4/7/13, to Vero Beach area and have narrowed are search down to Vero beach in the north to port st. Lucie in the south (based on internet searches only) And, of course the Mrs.'s desires.

we have a list of areas and a few resales to look at in the 175-225K range, along with some new construction. (is there a big difference in insurance costs between new/older homes?). Oh, and is the southern area of Vero 'better' than than the area north of the airport?
Insurance costs can be quite a bit higher depending on construction and code compliance. You're usually better off buying a house built after 2004 so as to be up to current code. Of course inspections are needed to insure compliance and the absence of defects (termites, chinese drywall, etc.) Mainland Vero is neighborhood by neighborhood like so much of Florida. Overall North and South are pretty equal. The barrier island is gorgeous from one end to the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach